• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Why is PJ Walker EVEN on the team?

TheBigKat

21 minutes ago, USDepartmentOfSavagery said:

I would honestly rather have PJ

If the season goes down the tubes and PJ is still here we should just let him start so weirdos will get it through their heads Matt Rhule has absolutely no idea how to evaluate or develop quarterbacks and leans on cronyism to a laughable fault.

1 minute ago, musicman said:

I think you're all missing it. They need to know "if Darnold gets traded" can PJ be a good enough back up this year, because they don't want to play Corral. IMO they tried to get a quick read on PJ yesterday. Maybe they wanted tape on him for a trade. If the Panthers keep Baker and Sam, that's a good starter/back up situation as any where in the league and what only 12 teams started QBs for all 17 games. Need a quality back up.

I'll bite:

Give me your absolute best case for rhule and the panthers in regards to trading PJ?  Whats the best realistic outcome you can think of?

Do the same for Darnold.

My answer:  At absolute best someone trades a conditional 7th for pj and the same for darnold assuming we eat 3/4 of his contract

Now ask yourself is that worth running training camp and a preseason game around that?

• Pie 1
  • Flames 1

25 minutes ago, USDepartmentOfSavagery said:

People sure are upset that Matt Corral looks exactly like the 3rd round draft pick that he is lol. I would honestly rather have PJ than him. 

Saying he looked like a 3rd round pick would be generous.  The Dolphins had a 7th rounder that looked way better than him last night.  Sam Howell looked way better.  Just about everyone I watched yesterday did.

1 minute ago, PNW_PantherMan said:

Saying he looked like a 3rd round pick would be generous.  The Dolphins had a 7th rounder that looked way better than him last night.  Sam Howell looked way better.  Just about everyone I watched yesterday did.

Skylar Thompson looked better than just about every rookie QB imo. That kid can sling it.

Edited by MillionDollarCam

6 minutes ago, mrcompletely11 said:

I'll bite:

Give me your absolute best case for rhule and the panthers in regards to trading PJ?  Whats the best realistic outcome you can think of?

Do the same for Darnold.

My answer:  At absolute best someone trades a conditional 7th for pj and the same for darnold assuming we eat 3/4 of his contract

Now ask yourself is that worth running training camp and a preseason game around that?

Could not have said it better myself.

8 hours ago, Mr. Scot said:

Had the third round rookie been handled properly and still not turned out, I could have lived with that.

He's not been handled properly.

And as far as blaming the coaching staff, there's actually very good reason to do so. It's not just some knee-jerk reaction.

Matt Rhule has made it quite clear that he's not qualified to run an NFL team. Now you can say otherwise if you want, but in that case I'd ask you to present some kind of evidence to support the idea.

What actual positive things have you seen that can be attributed directly to wise courses of action taken by Matt Rhule?

And do me a favor: please don't start with the whole "#2 defense" thing because the reality is that our defense last year wasn't that good and the ranking garbage is a complete fallacy. I genuinely don't feel like having that discussion yet again.

You can't expect a rookie qb from that offense to be ready in a couple weeks by coaching alone.  Some will some wont.   Also overall our roster has gotten much younger and much fewer holes overall and I think Rhule plays a hand in that.   I dont think Rhule is for sure the coach of the future either but I dont think you can tell in 2 seasons when you inherit a very old team that was in cap hell that won 5 games the season before with Luke and CMC playing all 16 games.  It has been 2 seasons and I think we will see an improvement in the win total this year while playing a much harder schedule (it appears harder before the season starts anyways)

Rhule definitely screwed the pooch with how he's prioritized things at QB, but how Corral looked is concerning beyond that.  Typically when you see these guys play, you can tell whether or not they have something.  They might make a lot of mistakes or whatnot, but they show certain things you can cling to.  Matt Corral didn't give us anything.  Hopefully he looks better next week.

2 minutes ago, Tr3ach said:

You can't expect a rookie qb from that offense to be ready in a couple weeks by coaching alone.  Some will some wont.   Also overall our roster has gotten much younger and much fewer holes overall and I think Rhule plays a hand in that.   I dont think Rhule is for sure the coach of the future either but I dont think you can tell in 2 seasons when you inherit a very old team that was in cap hell that won 5 games the season before with Luke and CMC playing all 16 games.  It has been 2 seasons and I think we will see an improvement in the win total this year while playing a much harder schedule (it appears harder before the season starts anyways)

why did every single rookie that played do better?  Every single one of them.  So the main thing that is hurting MC is coming from an RPO?  Thats the main reason he is 4rth string and being treated like a chubby freshman?

Because I watched Willis the other night and his offense in college was a one read as well and he was light years better then our boy.  At some point we have to look in the mirror and understand we are the problem.  We being the coaches

18 minutes ago, PNW_PantherMan said:

He lookef like a third round rookie with insufficient coaching.

9 minutes ago, PNW_PantherMan said:

Rhule definitely screwed the pooch with how he's prioritized things at QB, but how Corral looked is concerning beyond that.  Typically when you see these guys play, you can tell whether or not they have something.  They might make a lot of mistakes or whatnot, but they show certain things you can cling to.  Matt Corral didn't give us anything.  Hopefully he looks better next week.

If they continue not to give him reps, I wouldn't bet on it.

23 minutes ago, Tr3ach said:

You can't expect a rookie qb from that offense to be ready in a couple weeks by coaching alone. 

Apparently I can if I'm a fan of someone other than the Panthers.

One thing I do know though, I can't expect it if he doesn't even get the coaching.

And seriously, we weren't talking about getting him ready to start Week 1. We were talking about getting him ready to play in the second half of a preseason game.

And we couldn't even do that.

Edited by Mr. Scot
  • Pie 1

26 minutes ago, musicman said:

I think you're all missing it. They need to know "if Darnold gets traded" can PJ be a good enough back up this year, because they don't want to play Corral. IMO they tried to get a quick read on PJ yesterday. Maybe they wanted tape on him for a trade. If the Panthers keep Baker and Sam, that's a good starter/back up situation as any where in the league and what only 12 teams started QBs for all 17 games. Need a quality back up.

They already know that Darnold isn't getting anything in the trade. If they don't, they're not very bright.

Likewise, there's enough film on Walker to know that he's not a good enough backup. Well, at least enough for everybody outside of Matt Rhule to know.

Don't want to play Matt Corral and the regular season? Fine. But in the name of all that's holy, training camp and preseason are there for the express purpose of helping train him for the future. How the hell do you justify not doing that?

And as mentioned, when it comes to Walker, the head coach of the Carolina Panthers has a lot of responsibilities. Getting Matt Corral ready to play in the future is one of them. Helping PJ Walker find a job is not. And shirking a responsibility for Corral while working on a responsibility for Walker that you don't have is just plain coaching malpractice.

Dude, I get that you want to be positive about this bunch, and I get why. But from my position, I can be objective.

Matt Rhule just isn't an NFL coach.

• Pie 1

16 minutes ago, mrcompletely11 said:

why did every single rookie that played do better?  Every single one of them.  So the main thing that is hurting MC is coming from an RPO?  Thats the main reason he is 4rth string and being treated like a chubby freshman?

Because I watched Willis the other night and his offense in college was a one read as well and he was light years better then our boy.  At some point we have to look in the mirror and understand we are the problem.  We being the coaches

How many reps in practice are Willis and Howell getting? 

That matters. How much time with the coaches? 

Tennessee has an established starter and an established offense. They aren't trying to get 4 QBs up to speed on a new installation especially one that got here right before camp.

Probably the same in DC.

Both those teams have more time for prospects. 

Just now, Catsfan69 said:

How many reps in practice are Willis and Howell getting? 

That matters. How much time with the coaches? 

Tennessee has an established starter and an established offense. They aren't trying to get 4 QBs up to speed on a new installation especially one that got here right before camp.

Probably the same in DC.

Both those teams have more time for prospects. 

Who else do you know that has three guys ahead of their rookie?