• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Corral heading to IR

Floppin

4 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

I don't think the interest in Mayfield had anything to do with Matt Corral. It likely had everything to do with Sam Darnold.

The plan for Corral was always to sit him a year.

This.. They've been saying this for a while now.. Some ppl refuse to listen... Analysts were saying this during pre draft and some ppl refuse to listen.. The League said this during the draft and ppl refuse to listen..

At this point you can't blame the coaching staff for you having hyped up expectations.. They told you this was their plan the whole time...

• Pie 1

10 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

I don't think the interest in Mayfield had anything to do with Matt Corral. It likely had everything to do with Sam Darnold.

I agree 100%.  I think we might have seen some of Corral towards the end of the season if we were out of contention, but other than that, the only way he was going to see significant playing time this season was due to injury.  

16 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

IMO the timing suggests otherwise. Seems like we wanted to assess where Corral was in his development to see if he could legit compete for the job and when it was clear he was nowhere near ready then we shifted gears to go get Mayfield.

• Pie 1

2 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

IMO the timing suggests otherwise. Seems like we wanted to assess where Corral was in his development to see if he could legit compete for the job and when it was clear he was nowhere near ready then we shifted gears to go get Mayfield.

Yeah if Corral was even close to “challenging” Darnold we would have probably stayed put. He clearly isn’t so we got Baker (who I’m kind of high on). 

• Pie 1

8 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

They were trying to get Mayfield before during and they finally got the deal they wanted before TC.. But their actions dictated they were going to bring a VET to compete with Darnold no matter what Corral looked like..

• Pie 1

52 minutes ago, Martin said:

If we would have had an unquestionable starter, like all other teams with rookie QBs, Corral would have gotten more snaps in practice. But since we have cluster fxxk at QB, and are trying to decide who should be the starter in game 1, that is the priority, as it should be.

Corral has all the physical attributes of a long term starter, outside of being a bit injury prone, but he was deemed as not ready due to his college system. He was always a long term play. Not sure what is confusing about this.

Agreed about the cluster fxxk we have at the QB position.  However, Rhule could have made time to get Corral some legitimate snaps over PJ.  In fact, I don't see, other than Rhule's love affair with PJ, why PJ is still on the roster at all.  

Rhule and Co. knowing they were going to have this imaginary QB battle should have gone to Camp with only 3 QBs and made sure the rookie had a chance to get some valuable rep.  Who really knows he could have shown more than what he has.

Corral in his 2nd shot at QB was leaps and bounds better than his first shot. 

16 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

This is a fair assumption, and I dont think its too farfetched. The whole "wait a month" thing was a bit too timely.

• Pie 1

12 minutes ago, WOW!! said:

They were trying to get Mayfield before during and they finally got the deal they wanted before TC.. But their actions dictated they were going to bring a VET to compete with Darnold no matter what Corral looked like..

It seems like we were keeping tabs on the situation and keeping dialogue open and then after rookie mini-camp we significantly ramped up the active pursuit. 

• Pie 2

19 hours ago, DaveThePanther2008 said:

I doubt this injury.  I think it is a move by Rhule to save PJ from being cut.  For whatever reason Rhule did not want Corral to see action this year.  It showed in his treatment of Corral from the get go.

If we end up in the top of the draft we will draft another QB and have wasted a 3rd round pick for Corral.  

Rhule has turned this franchise into a freaking circus. 

conspiracy-big-bang-theory.gif

1 minute ago, LinvilleGorge said:

Yeah, I'm not saying it's definitely correct. I'm just putting two and two together and making a leap in assumption.

It just seems if not playing Corral was the plan from the get go, we would have closed the deal with the browns one month sooner to get Baker in during OTAs. I know we can lean into Rhule is dumb. However, I wouldn't dismiss the notion that Corral playing this year went out the window when they got a glimpse of him at rookie camp.

• Pie 3

2 minutes ago, TheCasillas said:

It just seems if not playing Corral was the plan from the get go, we would have closed the deal with the browns one month sooner to get Baker in during OTAs. I know we can lean into Rhule is dumb. However, I wouldn't dismiss the notion that Corral playing this year went out the window when they got a glimpse of him at rookie camp.

Yep. Pretty much what I'm thinking.

• Pie 1

9 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

It seems like we were keeping tabs on the situation and keeping dialogue open and then after rookie mini-camp we significantly ramped up the active pursuit. 

The fact that the deal was still being discussed before during and after drafting Corral.. Let's me know Matt C performance in a rookie Mini camp had no bearing on the original plan..

Then looking at Rhule situation makes it even clearer iIMO.. No rookie in this draft was coming in and saving his job. He needs wins not another development season..

Edited by WOW!!