• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Other teams' releases

Mr. Scot

2 hours ago, poundaway said:

If Jimmy gets to play he'll be paid below rate.  If he doesn't, he's paid backup pay behind  a rookie QB after leading his team deep in the playoffs 3 times including once to the SB.

Jimmy just bent over.

In reworked deals like this, I always wonder if some of that money arrives under the table. I know the 49ers would get crushed if caught, but why would a player in his position do that?

I know Daley's play seemingly regressed each year after his rookie season, but I still liked him.  Actually I would've kept him over Erving, Elf, and Jordan.  He's versatile, and when put in a good situation, has shown he can play quality football at this level.  I wish him the best in Tennessee and I think he will do well.

Also, for those that forgot...  I'm driving the fuging Fitt Wagon and we ain't stopping.  Dude is such a breath of fresh air.  

• Pie 4

35 minutes ago, ECHornet said:

In reworked deals like this, I always wonder if some of that money arrives under the table. I know the 49ers would get crushed if caught, but why would a player in his position do that?

Garoppolo really didn't have a lot of leverage.  Nobody was trading for him because of his contract ($25M this year with the weekly roster bonuses) and him coming off shoulder surgery.  His only taker at that price was the 49ers.

The 49ers could have just released him and certainly made every move to indicate they were prepared to.  Of the 31 other teams, according to Spotrac, 15 of them have less than $10M of cap space (Overthecap say 10 teams).  Another 10 (both sources) have less than $15M.  That only leave 7-12 teams with decent money available, and almost all of them are set at starting QB (for better or worse). 

Between cap space and questions about his shoulder, there was no guarantee anybody was going to put more shekels on the table than the 49ers were offering if he was released.  Especially when the teams with over $15M are almost all settled on their QBs.

Most likely, if he had been released anybody wanting him would have made it an incentive-heavy contract, but they still have to have the cap space to make it worth.  Sure, teams can clear cap space, but then the question is whether he is worth it?

And he may get a chance to start in San Fran if Lance gets hurt or stinks.

So, the closer cut down day came, the more his $25M salary for this year looked like a mirage.

• Pie 1

2 minutes ago, Proudiddy said:

Didn't we bring him in for a tryout last year?

Don't know for sure but don't think so. Bills signed him relatively early in free agency.

I think there's about half a dozen guys named "Duke" in the NFL right now so it's a little confusing 😄