• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Preseason Week 3 other games

Panthercougar68

8 minutes ago, MillionDollarCam said:

Not really, an opinion, everything I’ve said is backed up by pretty much all of the talking heads.

There’s literally a video of him already going to his third read and hitting his receiver for a TD…

Is he ready to take over as QB1, probably not, but all the talking heads are agreeing that he’s much further along than they thought he’d by right now…. And he’s much further along than Corral.

Generally a good idea not to declare victory on a player debate based on preseason results.

I've seen way too many preseason heroes turn into regular season zeroes.

• Pie 1

Just now, Mr. Scot said:

Generally a good idea not to declare victory on a player debate based on preseason results.

I've seen way too many preseason heroes turn into regular season zeroes.

Not declaring victory at all but being from central VA I saw Willis live more times than I can count. Probably more than most of the NFL scouts. Everything that I saw from him suggested that he does enough things really well to be an NFL QB.

Mike Tomlin used to say that it’s not about what players can do, it’s about what they can do and what they can do really well. Willis does so many things that you can build on and by all accounts is very coachable and a quick learner. Personally, I believe he’s an NFL QB and most talking heads (Jim Nagy for example), are starting to agree.

3 minutes ago, MillionDollarCam said:

I’ll go out on a limb and say that if a team plays contain then he’ll hit his receivers just like he did yesterday. Willis is a good enough of a passer that he can pick a defense a part if they don’t get pressure with a front four and drop their LB’s back in coverage or as spy’s. He’s grown already, probably more than any other rookie QB, there’s no reason why he won’t continue to get better.

Preseason isn't a measure of much positive or negative, He's been impressive for a 3rd rounder... but I'd hardly consider 5 YPA and a 1 to 1 INT ratio isn't terribly impressive... He has adequate speed to run some but those Cam comparisons are silly he's not gonna be trucking DL and LB when he can't out run them.

• Poo 1

Just now, TrevorLaurenceTime22 said:

Preseason isn't a measure of much positive or negative, He's been impressive for a 3rd rounder... but I'd hardly consider 5 YPA and a 1 to 1 INT ratio isn't terribly impressive... He has adequate speed to run some but those Cam comparisons are silly he's not gonna be trucking DL and LB when he can't out run them.

I watched the entire game against the Cardinals so I can say without hesitation that the game plan for him was to show his ability to go through reads and hit the receivers running intermediate routes. Everyone knows he’s got a cannon, it’s the intermediate passing game where he needs work, it’s a work in progress but he’s developing right in front of everyone’s eyes.

He’s also much stronger than everyone gives him credit for. Is he going to truck defenders, probably not, and hopefully not… you don’t want your franchise QB taking unnecessary hits… will he break arm tackles… absolutely. Per Sports Info Solutions, he broke 28 tackles and forced 52 missed tackles with 672 yards after contact. Among all college players with at least 100 rushing attempts in 2021, none had more missed and broken tackles per attempt than Willis.

40 minutes ago, MillionDollarCam said:

Not really, an opinion, everything I’ve said is backed up by pretty much all of the talking heads.

There’s literally a video of him already going to his third read and hitting his receiver for a TD…

Is he ready to take over as QB1, probably not, but all the talking heads are agreeing that he’s much further along than they thought he’d by right now…. And he’s much further along than Corral.

And of course the talking heads are ALWAYS correct.  

He may be a good QB but IMO he isn't ready to take over QB1. 

37 minutes ago, TrevorLaurenceTime22 said:

I think you are going a bit far.... Wait to see if he can run when he's playing a defense actually gameplaning on containment.... It's also noteworthy He's taking off on scrambles pretty exclusively no designed QB runs.

Absolutely.  From what I have seen he is ready to take off at the slightest amount of pressure.  If he does start this year you can bet some great coverage schemes and well as some exotic blitzes to get him to run.  

I am sure he'll have a couple of highlight reel runs but sooner or later it will hurt him. 

15 minutes ago, DaveThePanther2008 said:

And of course the talking heads are ALWAYS correct.  

He may be a good QB but IMO he isn't ready to take over QB1. 

Absolutely.  From what I have seen he is ready to take off at the slightest amount of pressure.  If he does start this year you can bet some great coverage schemes and well as some exotic blitzes to get him to run.  

I am sure he'll have a couple of highlight reel runs but sooner or later it will hurt him. 

It’s the same talking heads that originally thought that Willis was a gimmick QB at best.

In the game against the Cardinals he hung in the pocket as long as he could.

I said earlier that Willis and Howell were playing behind OL’s just as bad as Corral was playing behind. Difference is that Willis and Howell can escape pressure quickly (for example, Willis breaking a tackle attempt by Kyle Hamilton on a safety blitz then outrunning the Raven’s DT as well as the DE and then breaking another tackle by a LB on his way to the end zone).

Let’s call a spade a spade and just agree that if Corral looked anything like Willis or Howell then we’d all be happy. Bottom line is he doesn’t and from a processing perspective he has a lot further way to go than the other two.

RPO QB’s and Air Raid QB’s… two that typically don’t pan out unless there’s some sort of elite trait that they have (arm strength, athleticism, speed, etc.)… 

Simply from an Air Raid perspective, there is: Mahomes, Murray, and potentially Mayfield… that’s it. As for the spread or more specifically, RPO plays, not even Cam ran RPO plays as much as Corral did in college… and obviously the difference between Cam and Corral is massive in their overall ability.

Going back to my comment about Mike Tomlin saying that you have to look at what kids can do and not what they can’t do… with that said what can Corral do? He seems to be a pretty accurate passer out of a gimmick offense (very similar to Mayfield who was a better overall prospect than Corral in my opinion) and what else?

I’ve said before that I hope Corral succeeds and he still might, but I’d put money on Wills or Howell being better simply because they have some characteristics that could be elite at the next left, the offenses they came from are more pro style than what Ole Miss runs, and they aren’t being coached by Matt Rhule.

Edited by MillionDollarCam

11 minutes ago, MillionDollarCam said:

I’ve said before that I hope Corral succeeds and he still might, but I’d put money on Wills or Howell being better simply because they have some characteristics that could be elite at the next left, the offenses they came from are more pro style than what Ole Miss runs, and they aren’t being coached by Matt Rhule.

I personally wanted Howell when we traded up and knew it was a going to be a QB.  Howell with some experience IMO is going to be a good QB.  Willis, I personally am skeptical but I've been wrong before.  We'll just have to wait and see.  Crow will be piping hot for someone.  😃

Corral did not get any help from Rhule.  I think we can agree that Howell and Willis saw many (and I mean many) more Reps that Corral did.  That said, before he got hurt he was playing far better in game 2 than he did in Game 1.  Willis's first game was run first, throw second. So both showed imrovement from game one to their final preseason game.  Now Rhule has put this team in a position to lose a 3rd round pick because we select a QB in 2023 if we get that high of a pick. 

28 minutes ago, DaveThePanther2008 said:

I personally wanted Howell when we traded up and knew it was a going to be a QB.  Howell with some experience IMO is going to be a good QB.  Willis, I personally am skeptical but I've been wrong before.  We'll just have to wait and see.  Crow will be piping hot for someone.  😃

Corral did not get any help from Rhule.  I think we can agree that Howell and Willis saw many (and I mean many) more Reps that Corral did.  That said, before he got hurt he was playing far better in game 2 than he did in Game 1.  Willis's first game was run first, throw second. So both showed imrovement from game one to their final preseason game.  Now Rhule has put this team in a position to lose a 3rd round pick because we select a QB in 2023 if we get that high of a pick. 

I really think Corral went to the worst possible team for his development. Howell came from a more pro ready offense, UNC’s offensive line was abysmal last year so he’d already be used to dealing with what we have to offer here, and I think his deep ball accuracy can be elite and his mobility could also be considered to be above the NFL average.

Corral needs good coaching and a lot of attention, not sure if he’ll get that from our staff.

Just looking at what Howell can do… he can read NFL defenses today, he can make all the NFL throws, he has great mobility, he’s a natural leader, and he can still perform when the team around him is bad.

Everyone overthought Howell in my opinion. If you take away any QB’s top two receivers and top two RB’s and put them behind a poo OL then they are going to regress a bit. I think Howell showed yesterday what he can truly do in the NFL.

Only nitpicks I have on Howell are I’d like him to go through his reads a tad quicker (though I say this about every QB), I want him to look off his receivers better, and I want him to slide. All nitpicks and if he does all of those things then I think he’s a franchise QB.

Malik (and to some extent Howell) was the only QB in this draft that I thought could become a franchise QB. There are some players that just pop out of the screen at you, and he is one of them. I wanted us to draft him the first round, let alone in the 3rd. I would have been ok with the Corral pick if Malik AND Howell didn't drop to us. So it's not only the fact we picked Corral before them, but also that we TRADED up to get him when we could have just chilled and chose whoever dropped to us.

11 minutes ago, TheCasillas said:

If Matt Rhule is coaching the quarterback then what is sean ryan doing?

Probably the same thing Jake Peetz was doing, jack poo, and mind you it’s no fault of their own.

Fun fact, Joe Brady recommended Peetz to Orgeron at LSU and Orgeron eventually hired Peetz to be the OC at LSU during the 2021 season.

A few notes from Peetz’s time at LSU

- Jake Peetz told his quarterbacks during the week they needed to stay and do some extra work after practice… but he didn’t stay with them.

- Then there’s this gem about Peetz being in way over his head.

It sure seems like Rhule likes to micromanage his staff and because of that the staff never learns.

Ryan is definitely more seasoned than Peetz but Rhule probably can’t himself when it comes to being hands on.

21 minutes ago, TheCasillas said:

If Matt Rhule is coaching the quarterback then what is sean ryan doing?

I mean the fact that Joe Brady wanted Teddy because he was familiar with his offense tells us Rhule is pretty much letting the OC handle the offense and QB development. Sean Ryan would be right there with the OC.