• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Official cut day thread !

Zod

Just now, The Huddler said:

i dont know whats more retarded..

drafting leatherwood in the 1st, or releasing your 1st round pick after just one season..? 

Idk but at least someone did something worse than us with drafting Little in the second

• Pie 3
  • Beer 1
  • Flames 1

Just now, WolfpackPantherMan said:

That Alabama name was what got him into the first round

The track record for Bama OL is not as good as one would think.

This is interesting because the moved him inside to G when RT did not work out.  One of my FB friends is the son of a good friend of mine, Brandon Parker, who replaced Leatherwood but has a bad shoulder injury that will send him to IR for the year--not sure what they are going to do on the right side now.

• Pie 3

18 minutes ago, stbugs said:

😂 When have I ever said Rhule has done well? I literally ended my post with wanting a real staff, coach and GM included.

The only thing I laugh at and point out is how people, like you, will only say positive things about Fitterer and blame Rhule for everything. Fitterer made a great extension of DJ but it was Rhule who forced him to sign Sam, Robby, Donte and Thomas. Fitt was able to trade Little and Daley but darn it if that damn Rhule didn’t force him to trade all those picks for Darnold even after the 49ers took themselves out of the game. Thank goodness that Fitt signed Corbett, Bozeman and Reddick (he didn’t even want to play for Rhule again) because Rhule forced him to sign Erving and Elflein. Also, thank goodness that Rhule is only allowed to draft in even rounds so that Fitt can get us Iky, Horn and BC after Rhule selected TMJ, Hubbard, Brown, LS and Corral when Rhule even forced us to give up next year’s 3rd to move up from the 4th. 

Do you actually think Matt Rhule would have been involved in the Daley and Little trades?

The reality is that Rhule has final say on all decisions. That fact makes him ultimately responsible for the team's success or failure. 

He does not, however, do all the work. His own statements confirm that.

Scouting draft eligible and free agent players falls under the personnel department, which Fitterer runs. He doesn't do all the work there either of course, but he's in charge of what gets done.

The vast majority of what happens personnel wise would likely fall under Fitterer. There are, however, also things which occur at the direction of Matt Rhule. Extending Robbie is most likely one of those things. likewise, the emphasis on signing versatile linemen was per his (and perhaps Pat Meyer's) preference.

And yes, the head coach is going to be much more involved on quarterback decisions than others. That's true pretty much around the league. Mind you, Rhule didn't negotiate the deals themselves (Sulieman would be the guy there) but like pretty much every coach in the NFL, he writes the "grocery list" with input from assistants like Brady, McAdoo, etc.

The problem with your approach is that you want to put everything personnel related on Fitterer. And in a traditional coach-GM dynamic that would have some validity, but with the structure we have you just can't rightly do that. 

Now, it equally doesn't make sense to assign the good to Fitterer and the bad to Rhule. That's absurd.

But despite what you've said, everyone who disagrees with you isn't doing that.

Fitterer has certainly made mistakes. Every GM does. But when I and others look at the team's personnel decisions vs the team's coaching decisions, it's not at all difficult to conclude that Fitterer is better at his job than Rhule is at his (which is pretty much what most are actually saying).

With that in mind, a lot of us don't want to see the baby thrown out with the bathwater.

If Rhule is fired, I'm on board with Fitterer (and Morgan, that's important too) staying and picking his successor. Also prefer that Tepper institute a traditional dynamic rather than the "head coach is god" college model we have now.

Now, if Fitterer fails then, he fails. But at least we're not rebooting everything at one time.

If that doesn't seem reasonable to you, not sure what else to tell you.