• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Fitterer going into 2022 season

QB/OL/DL.  That's how I think a personnel guy should be largely evaluated.   If you can get talent there, you will win in the NFL with even an average coach.      

I'd still give Fitt an incomplete at this point.   

• Pie 1
  • Beer 3

5 minutes ago, CRA said:

QB/OL/DL.  That's how I think a personnel guy should be largely evaluated.   If you can get talent there, you will win in the NFL with even an average coach.      

I'd still give Fitt an incomplete at this point.   

Agreed, outside of Moton this line is revamped with Fitterer picks.  Granted some aren't barn burners but they are much better than when he got here.

Roy, Nixon and now McCall are fresh young faces.

QB gotcha. 

5 minutes ago, Rubi said:

It’s been clear in Fitt’s brief tenure that Rhule has been given a lot of control.

That's what makes it tough.

There are definitely moves that have Rhule's stamp on them, but there's no way to know what happened behind the scenes with every transaction.

• Beer 1

One other thing: Did a quick count after I saw a tweet earlier today (forget from who, might have been Ellis) regarding colleges represented on our team.

Counting one on the practice squad, we have six players from Temple on the roster.

There are also two from Baylor, with one again being on the practice squad.

The closest colleges behind that? LSU and Washington, both of whom have three players each on the Panthers squad. Mississippi also has three, with one being on IR (Matt Corral).

Make of that what you will...

24 minutes ago, DaveThePanther2008 said:

2021 Draft out of 11 Picks 8 are on the 53 man active roster and Brown (6th round pick) on the PS. The other 8 see or will see plenty of action.

You look at our 2021 picks and it looks pretty good

1st Round Horn Lockdown corner

2nd Round Marshall needs to step up and contribute more than 2021.  Has the talent just needs to get on the field

3rd Round Christensen locked in as starting guard and backup tackle

4th Round Hubbard 612 yds rushing after CMC went down 2 100 yd games. Should contribute with an upgraded offensive line

5th Round Daviyon Nixon Solid rotational guy for the DL

5th Round Taylor solid young DB that contributes situationally

6th Round Brown Probably the most disappointed draftee of 2021 however is still on PS so maybe he develops more.

6th Round Shi Smith could be a starter and will definitely see plenty of playing time

6th Round Fletcher This was the only wasted pick of 2021

7th Round Hoskins rotational DT.  

• Pie 1

30 minutes ago, Rubi said:

It’s been clear in Fitt’s brief tenure that Rhule has been given a lot of control. So I take the moves with a grain of salt 

That's basically me. The moves have been a mixed bag, at best. But Rhule is still technically the GM so I can't get too upset with him yet.

• Beer 1

1 minute ago, DaveThePanther2008 said:

You look at our 2021 picks and it looks pretty good

1st Round Horn Lockdown corner

2nd Round Marshall needs to step up and contribute more than 2021.  Has the talent just needs to get on the field

3rd Round Christensen locked in as starting guard and backup tackle

4th Round Hubbard 612 yds rushing after CMC went down 2 100 yd games. Should contribute with an upgraded offensive line

5th Round Daviyon Nixon Solid rotational guy for the DL

5th Round Taylor solid young DB that contributes situationally

6th Round Brown Probably the most disappointed draftee of 2021 however is still on PS so maybe he develops more.

6th Round Shi Smith could be a starter and will definitely see plenty of playing time

6th Round Fletcher This was the only wasted pick of 2021

7th Round Hoskins rotational DT.  

everything there is an unknown though in the grand scheme of things.  Can't really grade Fitt on any of that yet.  

• Beer 2

28 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

That's what makes it tough.

There are definitely moves that have Rhule's stamp on them, but there's no way to know what happened behind the scenes with every transaction.

Seems like recently there’s been a bit more savvy. Have to think power dynamic has changed some. Coaching staff changes for example. Seems like an adult came into the room and laid down the law. 

One of the things I always tell people is that when it comes to Panthers leadership is that I look at Scott Fitterer and Dan Morgan as a team.

Nearly all of Fitterer's experience is in college scouting. He'll tell ya that he and Seahawks pro personnel guy Trent Kirchner did some "cross training" with each other's jobs back in Seattle, but college and The Draft were always his primary focus.

Dan Morgan cut his teeth more on the pro personnel side of things, and I believe his arrival is one of the reasons why this year's free agency has drawn higher early grades than last year's did.

So while it seems inevitable that Morgan will eventually get his own GM gig, I personally hope it takes a while because I'd like to see what Fitterer and Morgan can do as a team (preferably without Rhule).

• Pie 2