• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Now is the time for the Panthers

Jmac

9 minutes ago, mrcompletely11 said:

Rent free

8 minutes ago, mrcompletely11 said:

It's probably rent free

If that makes you feel better about me laughing at you. 😂 Either way, you still sound pathetic coming in a thread being a hypocrite. But you do you man. I just think it's funny.

turntables GIF

• Pie 2

Vegas Odds for NFC South:

Tampa Bay Buccaneers -280
New Orleans Saints +320
Carolina Panthers +1100
Atlanta Falcons +3500

It's the NFL, anything can happen and there are a few surprise teams every season.  Vegas handicappers are right far more often than wrong.

Edited by Newtcase
  • Beer 1

2 minutes ago, Newtcase said:

Vegas Odds for NFC South:

Tampa Bay Buccaneers -280
New Orleans Saints +320
Carolina Panthers +1100
Atlanta Falcons +3500

It's the NFL, anything can happen but these are professional handicappers and Vegas wins far more than it loses.

That's true, but the handicappers are not evaluating the odds of something happening, just handicapping what those betting are saying the odds are of that something happening.  The handicappers win more often than they lose because those supplying the data for the odds lose more often than they win.

In this case, I think the odds look pretty realistic except that I think the house is going to make a decent haul on people betting on the Saints.

• Beer 1

1 minute ago, Sgt Schultz said:

That's true, but the handicappers are not evaluating the odds of something happening, just handicapping what those betting are saying the odds are of that something happening.  The handicappers win more often than they lose because those supplying the data for the odds lose more often than they win.

In this case, I think the odds look pretty realistic except that I think the house is going to make a decent haul on people betting on the Saints.

Excellent reply, and crowd sourced data (in the form of bets) tends to land fairly accurately which is why the whole system works.  Largely because big money that moves lines is much more informed money than a feeling or homerism.  I agree the Saints and Bucs have a wider spread of outcomes than they did just a few weeks ago, frankly so do the Panthers.  No one is going to give this team juice until we prove something though.  It's easy to point to the concerns with Tampa and New Orleans, but our list is pretty deep too.

1. Can Matt Rhule improve?

2. Baker, new team, coming off injury?

3. Can CMC play most/full season?

4. Does someone not named CMC/Moore become a threat?

5. O-line, we will improve enough to compete in the trenches.

6. D-line, we will be able to generate enough pass rush?

7. Jaycee Horn coming off injury, will he be what he was early last year?

8. Ordinary depth concerns any team would have.

Lots of uncertainties for the Panthers and those were just off the top of my head.  I'd love to see it come together this season, we have the talent to compete.  

• Pie 2
  • Beer 1

1 hour ago, stbugs said:

It was so obvious before the 2020 season. I didn’t see Matt Ryan being traded but 2022/2023 was my tank plan’s emergence. Hoard picks and cap, get your rookie QB, extend our studs and have the young guys gelled, especially the OL. Brees would be gone, same with Brady and Ryan would be almost 40. It was so easy to see. We appear to be in our best position compared to 2020/2021 but we could have had way more depth and cap space to make some FA splashes.

It’s ashame we kept Hurney, in job saving mode, when he’d have no foresight at all.

Although if Hurney had his way in 2020 we may have Herbert right now… word was he wanted to trade up for him. At the time I hated that idea but in hindsight it would’ve been franchise changing

• Beer 1

11 minutes ago, Newtcase said:

Excellent reply, and crowd sourced data (in the form of bets) tends to land fairly accurately which is why the whole system works.  Largely because big money that moves lines is much more informed money than a feeling or homerism.  I agree the Saints and Bucs have a wider spread of outcomes than they did just a few weeks ago, frankly so do the Panthers.  No one is going to give this team juice until we prove something though.  It's easy to point to the concerns with Tampa and New Orleans, but our list is pretty deep too.

1. Can Matt Rhule improve?

2. Baker, new team, coming off injury?

3. Can CMC play most/full season?

4. Does someone not named CMC/Moore become a threat?

5. O-line, we will improve enough to compete in the trenches.

6. D-line, we will be able to generate enough pass rush?

7. Jaycee Horn coming off injury, will he be what he was early last year?

8. Ordinary depth concerns any team would have.

Lots of uncertainties for the Panthers and those were just off the top of my head.  I'd love to see it come together this season, we have the talent to compete.  

I figured you understood what odds signify, others not so much 😆

The concerns and unknowns we have are what really prevents me from being more optimistic than I am, and that includes how the HC will handle things.  History says he will not handle them very well by NFL standards, but we'll let that play out.

I will say this: in this or another thread somebody mentioned that they thought Tampa was teetering on the edge of regressing.  I think they are closer than that.  If Brady does not play the full season they are in trouble and going over the edge and into the abyss.  And that is not an "if" but a "when."  Brady's body could tell him that it is 45, he could get injured (particularly if their OL stinks), on the previous OL assumption, Brady has been reduced to ordinary or worse in the past when he has been consistently been in danger in the pocket (that's how the Giants handled him twice in Super Bowls), or his wife could convince him it is either playing or her (which sounds like it could be the gossip of the week) and he decides another year is not worth that price when the risk of being carried out is factored in.

But, our chance essentially includes the Bucs going over the edge this year and the Saints being more what I think they are than the bettors.  I don't factor in the Falcons, either.  While there is a lot of money to be made betting on them, the chances are better I will see trees tap dancing out my window while I am sober than that bet paying off.

It would be interesting to know how many putting money one the Saints are experienced bettors vs. those who shout "who dat" as they place their bet.

Edited by Sgt Schultz
Murdered the King's English
  • Pie 1
  • Beer 1

2 minutes ago, Sgt Schultz said:

I figured you understood what odds signify, others not so much 😆

The concerns and unknowns we have are what really prevents me from being more optimistic than I am, and that includes how the HC will handle things.  History says he will not handle them very well by NFL standards, but we'll let that play out.

I will say this: in this or another thread somebody mentioned that they thought Tampa was teetering on the edge of regressing.  I think they are closer than that.  If Brady does not play the full season they are in trouble and going over the edge and into the abyss.  And that is not an "if" but a "when."  Brady's body could tell him that it is 45, he could get injured (particularly if their OL stinks), on the previous OL assumption, Brady has been reduced to ordinary or worse in the past when he has been consistently been in danger in the pocket (that's how the Giants handled him twice in Super Bowls), or his wife could convince him it is either playing or her (which sounds like it could be the gossip of the week) and he decides another year is not worth that price when the risk of being carried out is factored in.

But, our chance essentially includes the Bucs going over the edge this year and the Saints being more what I think they are than the bettors.  I don't factor in the Falcons, either.  While there is a lot of money to be made betting on them, the chances are better I will see trees tap dancing out my window while I am sober than that bet paying off.

It would be interesting to know how many putting money one the Saints are experienced bettors vs. those who shout "who dat" as they place their bet.

Respect.

I think most teams are teetering in the sense of relying on their starting QB to play well and stay healthy.  We're a Baker hangnail away from PJ being #1.  Ostensibly, Brady should be more fragile than Baker but Brady is quite experienced in managing risk on the field and will make sound business decisions.  I tend to believe if Tom didn't think he had it anymore he would walk away, but that's my perception of how I think he should value his legacy.  He may very well just be another guy that plays too long and the cliff he walks off is apparent to everyone.

I think the race between the Saints and Panthers is much closer than the spread.  Largely because we know what Jameis is until proven otherwise.  Same argument for Rhule.

4 hours ago, t96 said:

Looking at overthecap for next year it really doesn't look to be an issue at all. Several guys whose contracts are easily restructured/extended to bring down the cap hit next year. Other guys (Robbie, Elflein) who are easy to cut for big cap savings. Then in 2024 with the majority of our core still under contract we have $120M in cap space. Plus as it stands right now we'll carry over about $13M next year so will only be $7M over to start the offseason. Extending Burns alone could get us to about $5M in cap space easily. 

Next years cap doesn't account for what we are rolling over either, which basically puts us at the cap.

2 hours ago, Newtcase said:

Respect.

I think most teams are teetering in the sense of relying on their starting QB to play well and stay healthy.  We're a Baker hangnail away from PJ being #1.  Ostensibly, Brady should be more fragile than Baker but Brady is quite experienced in managing risk on the field and will make sound business decisions.  I tend to believe if Tom didn't think he had it anymore he would walk away, but that's my perception of how I think he should value his legacy.  He may very well just be another guy that plays too long and the cliff he walks off is apparent to everyone.

I think the race between the Saints and Panthers is much closer than the spread.  Largely because we know what Jameis is until proven otherwise.  Same argument for Rhule.

Ouch!  Now I need a drink! Thanks for reminding me.

I had hoped we would enter the season with the QB void somewhat resolved with Baker being the starter, Darnold being the backup, and Corral in the #3 slot and poised to overtake Darnold by about week 10.  And I am not convinced Darnold is a legitimate backup, either, since he turns the ball over too much.  But, add that to the list of things I have hoped for that did not come true.

Brady is giving every indication he is going to make the decision to hang them the same way Favre did....

• Am I still walking?  If yes, play on. 
  • If no, can somebody do something to make me walk?  If yes, play on when that happens, even if you don't know who you are anymore.
  • If no, probably time to hang them up.

9 hours ago, CarolinaLivin said:

How did we go from 30 “Fire Rhule” threads to “we’re gonna win the division”.

Not to ruin the hope people have but… bad head coaches and winning normally don’t go together. So…

FIRE THE DIVISION!!

WE'RE GONNA WIN THE RHULE!!!

oh wait....

• Flames 1

12 hours ago, t96 said:

Although if Hurney had his way in 2020 we may have Herbert right now… word was he wanted to trade up for him. At the time I hated that idea but in hindsight it would’ve been franchise changing

Who knows, behind our line he might have gotten the Darnold yips or a broken spine.