• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

How good a coach is Stefanski?

Mr. Scot

From what I have gathered about him since he got to Cleveland, his opinion of himself is not matched by the results. 

His handling of Mayfield's injury last year was either "rub some dirt on it and get back in there" or "I'll show you whose boss around here."

We should recognized those, as Rivera was a rub some dirt on it guy, and Fox wanted to prove a point with Moore's concussion.

He also seems like another control freak.  Those generally do not end well in the NFL.

• Beer 2

I think he was a good coach to get the Brown’s stable after the disastrous 2019 season. He does not seem like a “super bowl caliber” coach though. He showed poor control of his players, baffling  play calling, a lack of ability to adjust gameplans, not to mention his handling of OBJ and Mayfield last season. 

CLE’s playoff win might have been because he was at home with Covid.  His offensive scheme did not play to his roster’s strength, which is a primary weakness as a coach I lamented often. Compare to Harbaugh in BAL - they redesigned their entire offense for Lamar. Stefanski tried to turn Mayfield into Cousins. 

I don’t think Stefanski is a bad coach, but he’s also done nothing to show he’s a good or great coach - ironically, he seems average, the same criticism Mayfield receives.  A great coach would have found a way to get the 2021 Browns into the playoffs, even with Mayfield’s play. But Stefasnki and the CLE Defense lost  an equal number of games in 2021 that an injured QB caused. CLEs inability to hold 4th quarter leads is on the coaching and playcalling, especially when the best player group on the Browns was the RB room (even with Hunt injured much of 2021). 

• Pie 1

3 hours ago, Mr. Scot said:

Really? 🤔

I know the default answer for some is going to be "better than Matt Rhule" but I'm looking for something a little deeper than that.

Rhule comparisons aside, if you've seen him coach over the last few seasons, what's your opinion?

Cleveland fans will likely find out next year.  If he can take a talented qb with a lot of issues who hasn't played in two years and turn the team into a winner, he is a great coach.  If not, someone will be asking how good of an assistant coach he will be.  

5 hours ago, TheCasillas said:

Overrated. Never used his talent effectively. Abandoned the running game. Very chud like when he was with the panthers.

he makes terrible game day decisions and gets too much credit for 2020. His team beat teams, he has never beat teams.

I agree, Stefanski is probably the 2nd worst coach in the league. 

5 hours ago, Mr. Scot said:

Really? 🤔

I know the default answer for some is going to be "better than Matt Rhule" but I'm looking for something a little deeper than that.

Rhule comparisons aside, if you've seen him coach over the last few seasons, what's your opinion?

Ron Rivera level imo, but he also is the anti-rivera.  Basically Rivera relies too heavily on gut feeling in moments, stephanski just only plays by the numbers.