• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Let’s talk some Ickey at LT

mc52beast

From the footage I reviewed, ickey definitely has gotten better from week to week. He made a tremendous mental error last week, but the week before he made 2-3. It’s progress.

i will this though, when it comes to run blocking, ickey will be elite before the end of the season. It’s amazing watching him run block. It was supremely evident on Sunday against the giants where we were averaging over 6 yards a carry to the left.

• Beer 1

1 minute ago, stbugs said:

Wait, what? He played LT every snap in preseason whether he was first team or second team and he was pronounced the starter at LT early. One thing Iky had was preseason snaps. Heck he stayed in the preseason games longer than vet LTs did. I don’t like Rhule but I’ll reply when he gets blamed for things that didn’t happen.

Yes I should have specified first team reps. Or we can talk more about Trey Smith or Creed Humphrey.

1 hour ago, DMathematics said:

Sudden? He was never that good lol I don't even think he's ever made a PRO bowl

OL on bad teams struggle to make Pro Bowls unless they're a perennially dominate player (like a Joe Thomas). Fans don't watch the OL and only notice them when they're great or awful. The rest of the time they just blend in. The same OL tend to go to the Pro Bowl year in and year out based on name recognition.

On 9/19/2022 at 2:31 AM, Martin said:

He looked pretty good outside of two mistakes. Slipped on one sack if I remember. Seems like people have an agenda on Ickey to be honest. Really improved over last game. I’m feeling good about his play. 

He looked way ahead of the other rookie Neal, RT for the giants.

Icky isn't the only one. All of them have had their mistakes.

13 hours ago, TheCasillas said:

That theory has actually stopped over the last few years. Modern NFL has made the RT position just as valuable as the LT. it used to be that teams would line up their best pass rusher on the weak side of the line and the strong side of the line would have a TE supporting the RT.

now with modern offenses, you have a balanced line and defenses use exotic pressures and athleticism on the sides of the line.  We are no longer in a league where the LT is tremendously more valuable than RT. It’s marginal now. 

I knew someone was going to chime in with this. Yes more edge rushers move to the right side but it's not just about that. It's about how the QB sees the pressure and the lanes. The blindside is still the most dangerous side for a QB. It's also the side that sees the most blitzes and stunts. RT has moved on from basically bull rushers but it's still more simplistic than all that happens on the left side. I would have no problem letting a LT learn on the left if we were rebuilding and playing for draft position but that's not what Rhule is doing and at some point Mayfield or whoever is back there is going to get hurt because Icky is learning by fire. While we have 3 tackles who actually have experience playing that position.