• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Does Tepper keep Fitt and let him hire his own coach?

NAS

2 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

And again, I ask the same question others are asking: How do you judge with Matt Rhule being in charge of the on-field product?

I've illustrated by applying it to the players. Is Jeremy Chinn a bad player or is he being put in a bad situation?

Using the "fire everybody" approach you're advocating, they only conclusion you can come to is that he's a bad player and we should dump him.

Are you prepared to say that?

No and I don't think that's really a fair argument to make.  Of course we have some talented players.  Marty Hurney drafted some talented players too.  But overall, he didn't do a good enough job to build a winning roster.

By the logic in your post, we should have never fired Marty Hurney.

The FA signings have been so-so, the draft picks have not been that great, and the trades have been bad.  I don't think getting fleeced by the Jets or trading up to select the seemingly worst QB in this past year's draft has anything to do with Matt Rhule's coaching.

If we let Fitterer run the show, I really hope it works out.  I'll be the first one to admit I was wrong about him.  But it seems about as likely to me as Rhule being our Chuck Noll.

8 minutes ago, PNW_PantherMan said:

No and I don't think that's really a fair argument to make.  Of course we have some talented players.  Marty Hurney drafted some talented players too.  But overall, he didn't do a good enough job to build a winning roster.

By the logic in your post, we should have never fired Marty Hurney.

The FA signings have been so-so, the draft picks have not been that great, and the trades have been bad.  I don't think getting fleeced by the Jets or trading up to select the seemingly worst QB in this past year's draft has anything to do with Matt Rhule's coaching.

If we let Fitterer run the show, I really hope it works out.  I'll be the first one to admit I was wrong about him.  But it seems about as likely to me as Rhule being our Chuck Noll.

So to be clear, you think you can judge how good the draft picks are (in their rookie seasons no less) independent of who's responsible for coaching them up?

You also seem to think you can judge free agents when they're running schemes by guys like Phil Snow. Is that fair?

As mentioned previously, this is where your line of reasoning puts us...

And hell, even Hurney would have deserved the benefit of a doubt if the roster he put together had been touched by someone like Marty Mornhinweg.

Edited by Mr. Scot
  • Pie 1
  • Beer 1

If you want to judge Fitt then you have to judge his trades that he has made. He did draft players but a lot of that has to do with Rhule and his staff lack of coaching players up. All of Fitt's trades have been very reasonable compensation. Lots of people think the trades were of fair value for Mayfield, CJ Henderson, Stephon Gilmore, even Darnold at the time. Hind sight is 20/20 so when a player sucks it makes the trade look bad but everyone thought it was worth the gamble. 

2 minutes ago, CarolinaRideorDie said:

If you want to judge Fitt then you have to judge his trades that he has made. He did draft players but a lot of that has to do with Rhule and his staff lack of coaching players up. All of Fitt's trades have been very reasonable compensation. Lots of people think the trades were of fair value for Mayfield, CJ Henderson, Stephon Gilmore, even Darnold at the time. Hind sight is 20/20 so when a player sucks it makes the trade look bad but everyone thought it was worth the gamble. 

His trades have been pure poo

We need a President of Football Operations, that is first and foremost.

Then let him decide to keep Morgan and Fitt, or start clean...totally his call.

I would prefer a GM....HC....OC/DC....player relationship, with Owner nowhere near any of it....we need the GM to be more powerful than the head coach, something we haven't had here in a LONG time, if ever to be honest.

• Pie 3

Just now, thefuzz said:

I would prefer a GM....HC....OC/DC....player relationship, with Owner nowhere near any of it....we need the GM to be more powerful than the head coach, something we haven't had here in a LONG time, if ever to be honest.

This is the way

• Pie 1

3 minutes ago, thefuzz said:

We had one...with an extensive background in soccer 😕

(another prime example of David Tepper's hiring prowess)

Edited by Mr. Scot
  • Pie 1

59 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

We had one...with an extensive background in soccer 😕

(another prime example of David Tepper's hiring prowess)

I've said it many times since he bought the team, but him thinking that this biz is easy, and that he and Marty were more than capable of running the team well, and winning just makes me think he's a compete moron.

Reminds me of a good buddy of mine who is a surgeon, knows everything in the World about medicine, and absolutely nothing about anything else.  Clueless, but has the money to make it work.

44 minutes ago, thefuzz said:

Ding ding ding.

If Tepper wants to essentially be the final say of football operations and not have a braintrust under him, then we can't have a coach/silent GM czar like Rhule and he has to find a more complete GM that has higher level capabilities.

If Tepper REALLY thinks he's more a Hunt/Lurie savvy owner, then he needs to find his own Decosta/Roseman as an Exec/GM combo, who's his right hand man in all football opps.  He can assign his business operation roles however he pleases.

I mean, he clearly doesn't want to be as hands-off as Buscotti, but I think it would make his life a whole lot easier to find his own DeCosta.      

Get that, then that person can guide the HC search, find a guy that will be his somewhat equal like Harbaugh and DeCosta.  That's the structure I'd like to see.  Not whatever we have with Rhulle acting as essentially a Czar of all Football w/Scott & Dan trying to guide him/struggling to work it out.  

• Pie 1

23 minutes ago, thefuzz said:

I've said it many times since he bought the team, but him thinking that this biz is easy, and that he and Marty were more than capable of running the team well, and winning just makes me think he's a compete moron.

Reminds me of a good buddy of mine who is a surgeon, knows everything in the World about medicine, and absolutely nothing about anything else.  Clueless, but has the money to make it work.

We thought we were getting somebody that would be different than Jerry Richardson, but what's disheartening is just how many negative qualities Tepper actually shares with his predecessor.

Richardson: "If somebody's good at one thing, you can trust them to be equally good at something else, like a sportswriter making personnel decisions."

Tepper? "Oh this guy knew how to run a soccer operation so I'm sure he can run an NFL team just as well. It's pretty much the same thing, right?"

Richardson: "I trust Marty Hurney."

Tepper? "Ditto. Matt Rhule too. Hell, let's give him the keys to the whole damn thing! I'm a genius!"

Richardson: "Jeans Friday"

Tepper? "Deshaun Watson"

Oy 😖

It's like he never left...

Edited by Mr. Scot
  • Pie 1