• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Does our history with Cam prove that we do need a STAR QB if we want to win in this league?

DMathematics

Hear me out here... We had a great defense great team obviously Luke, TD , CJ etc that defense was amazing all those years...but Cam carried the team we always knew we had a chance because of what Cam was capable of on a gamely basis just amazing things ofc some frustarting but the second we lost our STAR QB things have been downhill ever since.. we've have game managers like Teddy Klye Allen etc. but we just can never seem to even put together a decent season with even an average QB like Mayfield.. Look at the 49ers.. success every year with Jimmy G... but no Super Bowl? Is a star QB really a necessity or can you find a decent enough QB and win? I want you guys opinion on this..

• Pie 1
  • Poo 1

For everybody saying yes.. what's the best way to go about acquiring one? I thought the best strategy was to build your team while your QB is on his rookie contract.. so the draft right? We have a lot of players whether they deserve it or not coming up about to get paid and I'm worried that if we throw big money at QB again our roster will just be bare again like it has been the past couple years.. what kind of rebuild was this?

• Pie 1
  • Poo 1

It depends really.  A star like Cam is able to overcome certain deficiencies while an “adequate” qb such as JG, Flacco, etc… cam complement a fundamentally sound team that has other superlatives. Current team doesn’t have either of these traits. Right now, I’d settle for a decent qb and competent coaching. We have a decent young core but I don’t think the staff will allow them to reach their ceiling.  I was never a Rhule hater and all for giving him some time but the things plagued the team the last two years are still a problem. Hopefully the next couple months prove me wrong but Rhule is not capable on this level. 

• Pie 1

9 minutes ago, DMathematics said:

For everybody saying yes.. what's the best way to go about acquiring one? I thought the best strategy was to build your team while your QB is on his rookie contract.. so the draft right? We have a lot of players whether they deserve it or not coming up about to get paid and I'm worried that if we throw big money at QB again our roster will just be bare again like it has been the past couple years.. what kind of rebuild was this?

The draft.

What kind of rebuild was this? A defensive one. We spent all our draft assets on defense while we tried to patch an offense together with veteran cast offs. They thought they were going to build an elite defense and win with decent offense like they did at Baylor. Instead they created a decent defense and a clown show of an offense and the end result has amounted to 10-25.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

8 minutes ago, DMathematics said:

Animation Fail GIF by Eddsworld

You need both a franchise QB AND a good head coach. The NFL is set up to where you can't pay everybody because of the cap, so you will need your QB to lead the way while your coach constantly coaches up the new players being brought in every 3-4 years. You can't just have a good QB (look at Chargers, Cardinals, Panthers with Cam, etc.). You need a good QB-HC duo to really be consistent in this league, and we have neither.

• Pie 2
  • Beer 1

Old school smash mouth with an game manager QB is not going to win Super Bowls. If you're cool with not winning SBs, then really all we need is Baker and a better defense. Then we can get our 8 wins and once in a blue moon make the playoffs.

Without a top tier QB you are relying on a middle or lower tier QB having a season where he just plays well beyond his talent level. Like Bake would have to suddenly start playing as well as prime Tom Brady for us to have a shot at the SB. It's not impossible, but you'd be considered an idiot if you expected that to happen.

The huddle loves defense and running the ball a lot. That is because Panthers fans grew up with Fox ball, and later RR. This is a LBer loving fan base. Wow look at him tackle! He's a humble lunch pale guy who works hard! The reality is that we need a superstar QB and some arrogant track star WRs to put the ball down the field and in the endzone. Tall, fast, explosive WRs and a tall QB who can drop dimes.

Edited by pantherj
  • Beer 1

Having an elite QB makes up for a lot of flaws on any team and it can elevate you to SB contention in a hurry.

That is the advantage of going the elite QB route. Otherwise you need an elite team to cover up for your QB deficiency. The instances of the former happening are much more than the latter over the last 25 years.