• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

I was on the tank bandwagon, but after looking more further, I say we just roll with Corral and draft BPA.

panthersgreenville

22 minutes ago, t96 said:

With a new coach coming in, Corral is likely on the outs. Especially if that coach is a guy like Payton or Harbaugh who will definitely want their own guy at QB right off the bat.

Historically speaking, a new coach almost always gives a drafted guy a shot.  So, Corral will likely get a shot.  Even if we do draft a qb in the first round, Corral will likely get a shot.  Might just be a shot to be the backup for a few years.  But Corral will be here next year, unless of course someone makes a decent trade offer for him.    

Edited by Davidson Deac II

I really don't understand the talent argument with Corral. I'll admit, he was my #2 QB prospect in this draft. I thought he had a great release, decent arm and plus mobility. His arm in the NFL is honestly average but the quick release helps make up for that. He's not a runner at the NFL level but I think he has more mobility than the average NFL QB.

But then... we saw him on an NFL field and woah boy. There's just no way to sugarcoat it. He just didn't look like he belonged. Say it was playing with backups or poorly handling his development or whatever, but despite being put in bad situations good players generally look like they belong. The results night not be good but you can see the traits. You can envision that guy playing well in a better situation. I just didn't see any of that with Matt Corral. He looked in every way like a UDFA who wasn't gonna make it past the first round of roster cuts.

• Pie 1

20 minutes ago, stbugs said:

I know but it’s silly to call stuff mid level when it’s Clemson, Georgia, Alabama and OSU as the top tier. Funny enough, there are 7 NFL starters from these 4 including the suspended guy. One of them wins SB last year. Add in Stroud and those 4 teams would be 25% of the NFL starters next year. Maybe they aren’t Allen and Mahomes but interesting that they make up a good chunk of the starting pool and we aren’t including Oregon, Oklahoma and Michigan, who are very often in the top 10.

This is fair, maybe I am a bit harsh on some, I just feel like if you are consistently a middle of the road team in any conference for long periods of time, you are mid tier. Obviously it doesn't apply to every one, as many teams will go through up and down periods, but for the most parts there are teams you can count as that. South Carolina for example, to me qualifies as a mid tier college even though they consistently produce great NFL cornerbacks.

Edited by Jaxel

The Moment Corral got hurt, his chances of ever becoming a starter in this league went to poo. 

He was drafted as a developmental prospect by a coaching staff on the hot seat with no intentions of having him play at all this year. They wanted him to sit, learn, and to get used to the speed/offenses of the NFL by getting practice reps.

So of course the coaching staff gave him next to no practice reps in training camp because those were getting split between Darnold and Baker, with PJ taking any remaining meaningful snaps.

He goes into the preseason and gets hurt after hardly taking any live action snaps in nearly 9 months due to an ankle injury before the draft.

So now he sits on IR, unable to actually go through the physical motions of playing QB in the NFL at NFL Speeds, learning a bad offensive scheme from a coaching staff that won't be here next season, and most likely having to "compete" with a top tier Rookie QB prospect from what many consider a much deeper QB draft than the one he was apart of. Not to mention we will probably sign a vet QB to be the true backup to our new Rookie signal caller because there's no way in hell we go into 2023 with essentially 2 rookie QBs as the only depth on our roster. 

Corral playing any meaningful snaps without someone getting injured in front of him is a pipe dream.

1 minute ago, Davidson Deac II said:

Historically speaking, a new coach almost always gives a drafted guy a shot.  So, Corral will likely get a shot.  Even if we do draft a qb in the first round, Corral will likely get a shot.  Might just be a shot to be the backup for a few years.  But Corral will be here next year, unless of course someone makes a decent trade offer for him.    

Kellen Mond says hello.   I doubt a new coach is going to roll with a rookie qb and a second year 3rd round pick who is coming off a serious injury as his backup.    My guess is we draft a guy, sign a vet to start until he is ready and try and get MC to the PS if not outright cut all together.   Again he cannot even practice until the summer.   So much is going to happen by then. 

• Pie 1

2 minutes ago, Ricky Spanish said:

The Moment Corral got hurt, his chances of ever becoming a starter in this league went to poo. 

He was drafted as a developmental prospect by a coaching staff on the hot seat with no intentions of having him play at all this year. They wanted him to sit, learn, and to get used to the speed/offenses of the NFL by getting practice reps.

He got next to no snaps in training camp because those were getting split between Darnold and Baker, with PJ taking any remaining meaningful snaps.

He goes into the preseason and gets hurt after hardly taking any live action snaps in nearly 9 months due to an ankle injury before the draft.

So now he sits on IR, unable to actually go through the physical motions of playing QB in the NFL at NFL Speeds, learning a bad offensive scheme from a coaching staff that won't be here next season, and most likely having to "compete" with a top tier Rookie QB prospect from what many consider a much deeper QB draft than the one he was apart of. Not to mention we will probably sign a vet QB to be the true backup to our new Rookie signal caller because there's no way in hell we go into 2023 with essentially 2 rookie QBs as the only depth on our roster. 

Corral playing any meaningful snaps without someone getting injured in front of him is a pipe dream.

Which makes trading up for him another huge mistake for fitt.   Tell that cuckoo to hit the road at the end of the season.   

3 hours ago, LinvilleGorge said:

The timing of that trade said a LOT IMO. The rumors cranked up hot and heavy following rookie mini-camp. I think the staff saw with their owDiscount Corral at your own periln eyes this guy was NOT playing as a rookie so unless they wanted to rely on Darnold and PJ they better do something. Anything.

Sounds like B.S. It doesn't square with reports. Corral was impressive. The Panthers moved on Mayfield when the price was right. They were talking with the Browns earlier in the offseason. The trade didn't have anything directly to do with Corral.

You Baker Boys need to stop. You overlooked Corral for all intents and purposes, just like idiotic Matt Rhule who put Corral in a terribe situation---of course Corral got hurt behind turnstiles that were nothing but camp bodies. 

Corral's release and arm strength were evident from the moment that he stepped on the field back in May. Even during TC, there was still a buzz surrounding the kid. Just like the OP said, as well as others, including Smitty in so many words, the plan was never to start him this year. 

“So Matt Corral impressin’ me,” he went on to add. “Man, I’m just an outta shape, old football player that used to play, right? But at the end of the day, I know ball. And I know a good player when I see him just like I know a bad player when I see him. Matt Corral is about a year or two away from being the starting quarterback for this Carolina Panthers team. The boy has it. He can play. But he needs to learn.”

Excuse me if I take 89's word over y'all Baker Boys'. Corral will rightfully get his chance. Rhule won't stop it, and a Fitterer firing won't stop it either.

Edited by top dawg
  • Beer 2

1 minute ago, top dawg said:

Sounds like B.S. It doesn't square with reports. Corral was impressive. The Panthers moved on Mayfield when the price was right. They were talking with the Browns earlier in the offseason. The trade didn't have anything directly to do with Corral.

You Baker Boys need to stop. You overlooked Corral for all intents and purposes, just like idiotic Matt Rhule who put Corral in a terribl situation---of course Corral got hurt behind turnstiles that were nothing but camp bodies. 

Corral's release and arm strength were evident from the moment that he stepped on the field back in May. Even during TC, there was still a buzz surrounding the kid. Just like the OP said, as well as others, including Smitty in so many words, the plan was never to start him this year. 

“So Matt Corral impressin’ me,” he went on to add. “Man, I’m just an outta shape, old football player that used to play, right? But at the end of the day, I know ball. And I know a good player when I see him just like I know a bad player when I see him. Matt Corral is about a year or two away from being the starting quarterback for this Carolina Panthers team. The boy has it. He can play. But he needs to learn.”

Excuse me if I take 89's word over y'all Baker Boys'. Corral will rightfully get his chance. Rhule won't stop it, and a Fitterer firing won't stop it either.

I like corral but I am pretty sure the beat reporters were less then impressed with him in mini camp and training camp.  Seems like a brutal misevaluation but our front office

4 minutes ago, mrcompletely11 said:

Kellen Mond says hello.   I doubt a new coach is going to roll with a rookie qb and a second year 3rd round pick who is coming off a serious injury as his backup.    My guess is we draft a guy, sign a vet to start until he is ready and try and get MC to the PS if not outright cut all together.   Again he cannot even practice until the summer.   So much is going to happen by then. 

Dream scenario:

Shane Steichen as HC and he brings Gardner Minshew along with him. 

Minshew is at best, legitimately good enough to be a starter in the NFL, and at worst, is a proven backup. He would already be familiar with the offense and would be able to work with the rookie we draft. If we had to play Minshew until The rookie got up to speed, it would not necessarily be a death sentence for the season.

Also the memes. 

So much meme potential. 

• Pie 2

5 minutes ago, top dawg said:

You Baker Boys need to stop. You overlooked Corral for all intents and purposes, just like idiotic Matt Rhule who put Corral in a terribe situation---of course Corral got hurt behind turnstiles that were nothing but camp bodies. 

Who are these "Baker boys"? 

Mayfield sucks. Yeah, he was our best bad bet going into the season but he sucks. Corral sucked. Everyone we've had at QB since Cam's shoulder fell apart has sucked. That's predictable when you've been shopping in the bargain bin for the by far most valuable roster piece. 

Matt Corral looked like a fan who won a contest to play QB for the day in preseason but he "has it". Hilarious.

3 minutes ago, Ricky Spanish said:

Dream scenario:

Shane Steichen as HC and he brings Gardner Minshew along with him. 

Minshew is at best, legitimately good enough to be a starter in the NFL, and at worst, is a proven backup. He would already be familiar with the offense and would be able to work with the rookie we draft. If we had to play Minshew until The rookie got up to speed, it would not necessarily be a death sentence for the season.

Also the memes. 

So much meme potential. 

EFwbd0vXYAIB7E0.jpg

• Pie 1

Just now, LinvilleGorge said:

Who are these "Baker boys"? 

Mayfield sucks. Yeah, he was our best bad bet going into the season but he sucks. Corral sucked. Everyone we've had at QB since Cam's shoulder fell apart has sucked. That's predictable when you've been shopping in the bargain bin for the by far most valuable roster piece. 

Matt Corral looked like a fan who won a contest to play QB for the day in preseason but he "has it". Hilarious.

What's hilarious is the continued psuedo  QB analysis by football message board members. 

• Beer 1