• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

So who is better, Stroud or Young?

Randolph Panther

If I had my choice at QB with the first pick, I would have them ranked like this

1. Stroud - the complete package. Good arm strength, great vision, very accurate. Faced good competition at OSU. I am not holding the Ohio State thing against him, I think it is silly to think someone can’t play just because they went to a certain school. 

2. Levis - biggest arm in the draft. Can make every NFL throw. He’s a little older than you would like but I don’t think it’s a big concern. Also a very tough/fluid athlete. Can make plays with his feet and get tough yards when he wants to. 

3. Young - most accurate passer in the class. It’s honestly insane how well he reads the field. You never feel like the play is over with this guy in the pocket. Questions about his arm strength and size are valid, though

Any other QB in this class we shouldn’t be using a first round pick on. Hooker has looked great lately but he can’t make the throws these other three can. Great tough on deep balls, but I don’t see the NFL throws with him that Stroud, Levis, and Young make. He’s also about to be 25, which is pretty old for any rookie. 

• Pie 3
  • Beer 1
  • Poo 1

5 minutes ago, Kentucky Panther said:

If I had my choice at QB with the first pick, I would have them ranked like this

1. Stroud - the complete package. Good arm strength, great vision, very accurate. Faced good competition at OSU. I am not holding the Ohio State thing against him, I think it is silly to think someone can’t play just because they went to a certain school. 

2. Levis - biggest arm in the draft. Can make every NFL throw. He’s a little older than you would like but I don’t think it’s a big concern. Also a very tough/fluid athlete. Can make plays with his feet and get tough yards when he wants to. 

3. Young - most accurate passer in the class. It’s honestly insane how well he reads the field. You never feel like the play is over with this guy in the pocket. Questions about his arm strength and size are valid, though

Any other QB in this class we shouldn’t be using a first round pick on. Hooker has looked great lately but he can’t make the throws these other three can. Great tough on deep balls, but I don’t see the NFL throws with him that Stroud, Levis, and Young make. He’s also about to be 25, which is pretty old for any rookie. 

I think Young's arm strength is good.  Durability with his frame/style of play would be a concern to me.  

11 hours ago, Cdparr7 said:

I agree. Outside of QB. We are missing a real MLB, DE and TE. We were spoiled all those years with Walls and Olsen. I would take Jeff King over these current TEs. 

We never had a real MLB either under this regime. Beason, Morgan, Kuechly, etc, are miles away from Whitehead and this rotation of Wilson/Littleton. 

We have Burns at DE but he is more of a pass rusher, we don’t have that run stopping DE like in years past. YGM is shaping out to be a bust.

Dalton Kincaid from Utah has been putting on a show this year.  He's a TE to keep an eye on in this draft.  Also, the guy for UGA, although I'm not sure if hes draft eligible this season.

51 minutes ago, ForJimmy said:

What is Young's physical talent?  It is smart and great at reading defenses.  I don't see anything physically jumping off the charts?

Well being smart and great at reading defenses in college football puts him way ahead of the curve already.  Thats usually a weakness of most CFB QBs coming out.  Plus Young has got elite mobility, pocket awareness, accuracy and plus arm strength.  The ONLY knock on him is his size, which is a huge issues to be honest.  If Young were 6 foot 2 there would be no question he would be the consensus number 1, and be viewed as a Luck/Lawrence type prospect.  But, hes only 5'11" on a good day, and about 175-180.  Its concerning.  I like Stroud over Young, but would not be upset with either of them. 

Edited by joemac
  • Pie 1

38 minutes ago, Growl said:

what a stupid question 

you’re the one manufacturing a sensational and unprovable take to reinforce your stance, I’m not carrying the burden of proof

go ahead and offer something to substantiate your claim other than “well I’m looking at it”

He's listed at 5'11" to 6'0" depending on the website.  And 194 pounds, which after watching him play a ton, I find that REALLY hard to believe.  We will know his true measurables once he goes to the combine.  Im thinking right at 5'11" and 185-ish lbs.  But really, this is all less of a concern than it used to be.  The SEC has NFL size players all over the field and he does not seem to have issues with batted balls or finding throwing lanes.  Very intriguing prospect, no doubt.  

5 minutes ago, joemac said:

He's listed at 5'11" to 6'0" depending on the website.  And 194 pounds, which after watching him play a ton, I find that REALLY hard to believe.  We will know his true measurables once he goes to the combine.  Im thinking right at 5'11" and 185-ish lbs.  But really, this is all less of a concern than it used to be.  The SEC has NFL size players all over the field and he does not seem to have issues with batted balls or finding throwing lanes.  Very intriguing prospect, no doubt.  

You just triggered him

• Pie 1

9 minutes ago, joemac said:

that would still be bigger than that other anon poster’s manufactured listing, but as noted: it’s irrelevant given that we will get an official listing so lol at hardlinijg a stance that will absolutely be disproved 

8 minutes ago, Growl said:

that would still be bigger than that other anon poster’s manufactured listing, but as noted: it’s irrelevant given that we will get an official listing so lol at hardlinijg a stance that will absolutely be disproved 

Put it this way, he looks small for the position when he is out there on the field.  That's the negative about him for every draft analyst I have read so far.  He does everything well, but the concern is his frame/durability at the next level.  If he had a couple inches and about 20 pounds It would be Young 1 and Stroud 2.  Since he doesn't it varies on different mock drafts and opinions on who is the top pick.  If you want to argue an inch and 10 pounds go ahead.  

Stroud by far.

Bryce Young is fun to watch in college, but I have doubts about his ability to transition to the pros due to his size. I do love how he goes through his progressions and looks to extend the play to complete the pass downfield rather than scramble for a couple.

Sick as a dog today and was out of town on Saturday, so I'm trying to get through the Bama/Tenn game while waiting for the soup to finish heating up. I know folks don't like Hooker because he'll be 25 when he's drafted, but I'm going to have concerns if he looks like the clearly better QB in that game.

Edited by Icege

54 minutes ago, Kentucky Panther said:

Agreed on all points made about the prospects with the exception of Hooker. He's made some impressive throws in the couple of games I've watched so far.

I'm excited to check out the TCU game as well. When I saw Max Duggan's stat line a few weeks ago, I got curious and checked out the TCU vs. Oklahoma game. That dude is fun to watch. I've got to catch him vs. Kansas + Oklahoma State still.

• Beer 1

5 minutes ago, Icege said:

Agreed on all points made about the prospects with the exception of Hooker. He's made some impressive throws in the couple of games I've watched so far.

I'm excited to check out the TCU game as well. When I saw Max Duggan's stat line a few weeks ago, I got curious and checked out the TCU vs. Oklahoma game. That dude is fun to watch. I've got to catch him vs. Kansas + Oklahoma State still.

His draft profile reads like Corrals

https://www.nfldraftbuzz.com/Player/Max-Duggan-QB-TCU

• Beer 1