• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Path to $30m+ Cap Space in 2023

UNCrules2187

2 minutes ago, Toomers said:

So you’re lesson about the salary cap is “if you hope hard enough, all the players that suck now will be good with a new coach”.  Can’t argue with pure fact like that. 

How does that usually work out for the Panthers? 

Well in a world where a perennial 1100 yard receiver can be neutered to 35 yards per game, it'd be naive to think the coaching staff isn't holding some of them back. Plus I said presumably half of them could fit the bill. Are you that pessimistic to think that's not the case and they all suck regardless of coaching/schemes? I'm sorry but if we have to replace half the roster with free agents to improve the team, there is literally no pathway to relevance. We should just accept being the 2010s Browns and soak in all the top 5 picks for the next 8 years. I'd prefer to hold out for a better outlook than that.

Why the rush though? Next year is not going to be a "win now" year, let's take our lumps on the cap this year and next and get it over with instead of restructuring and kicking the can down the road. This team will be good in 2024 if we get the QB and HC right this offseason/draft. Let's have a ton of cap space 2024, not next year. 

5 minutes ago, UNCrules2187 said:

The WR room is not bad. DJ and Robbie each had 1,000+ yards with Teddy Bridgewater. DJ had 1,000+ with Sam, PJ, and Cam last year. The QB and the OC are horrendous. If Daboll and Mike Kafka can get offensive production from Daniel Jones and a WR room that includes *checks notes* Richie James, David Sills, and Darius Slayton, I think a competent offensive minded coaching staff can do a lot more with DJ, Shenault, TMJ and Shi.

What does Robbie have to do with this discussion?  This year it was Mcadoo who would fix everything. Sam Darnold just needs to get away from Adam Gase. Joe Brady is a genius…or inept. 

Maybe y’all should have fired Rhule when Daboli was available. Oops. 

• Flames 1

33 minutes ago, SetfreexX said:

Honesty, with DJ, TMJ, Shenault, Higgins, and Smith we have a competent WR group, FA or depending on if we trade back in the 2nd could see someone added. QB play / OC improves this dramatically.

TE - I think FA is still an option, but again QB play / OC is the primary issue.

DT - Brown is proving to be ''elite'', McCall has been a good space eater (listed at 380 on some sites), adding a guy via FA is likely, I wouldn't be surprised to see an Io extension. 

DE - Depends on the front you want to run, 43 or 34, we won't know until we have a new coach, likely addressed via draft. Barno adding to his frame is a potential option he has the same measurables as Burns.

LB - Shaq, Smith, Luvu, off ball LB'ers are relatively cheap, and also not hard to find day 2 / 3 of the draft. 

Again, the off-season, cap, and draft pick capital are fluid, it's silly to ''worry'' about the 2023 Off-season / Draft''. Fitterer and Morgan seem sharp, I think we will be surprised by how this off-season goes. 

Your assessment of the roster is pretty damn optimistic.   A lot of the guys you are listing arent even playing.

2 minutes ago, jb2288 said:

Why the rush though? Next year is not going to be a "win now" year, let's take our lumps on the cap this year and next and get it over with instead of restructuring and kicking the can down the road. This team will be good in 2024 if we get the QB and HC right this offseason/draft. Let's have a ton of cap space 2024, not next year. 

Because Fitt and Tepper have not shown the ability to have a long term plan.  They think every year is a "win now" season. 

Just now, mrcompletely11 said:

Because Fitt and Tepper have not shown the ability to have a long term plan.  They think every year is a "win now" season. 

I think that is more the product of a HC who knew it was a "win now" season or get fired. The Watson situation also unfortunately accelerated that. The next HC knows next year is about showing he can show progress and flashes with his rookie QB. Spend that money in 2024

7 minutes ago, Peon Awesome said:

Well in a world where a perennial 1100 yard receiver can be neutered to 35 yards per game, it'd be naive to think the coaching staff isn't holding some of them back. Plus I said presumably half of them could fit the bill. Are you that pessimistic to think that's not the case and they all suck regardless of coaching/schemes? I'm sorry but if we have to replace half the roster with free agents to improve the team, there is literally no pathway to relevance. We should just accept being the 2010s Browns and soak in all the top 5 picks for the next 8 years. I'd prefer to hold out for a better outlook than that.

Half could. But most won’t. That’s not pessimistic. It’s reality. Any starters on the team fit that bill. Late round or failed draft picks who suddenly got much better? 

You’ve already had a top 8 pick 3 years running. I’d say they’re doing a fine job becoming “the Browns” right now. 

48 minutes ago, L-TownCat said:

It’s time we moved on.

I’m sorry am I missing something? Shaq hasn’t been playing badly, he’s actually been pretty solid. So why is everyone wanting us to move on?

Shaq is easily the 4th or at worst 5th best player this season on Defense, has been consistent top 3-4 defensive player the last 3 seasons.

people need to take a chill pill.

Edited by Doc Holiday

35 minutes ago, Doc Holiday said:

I’m sorry am I missing something? Shaq hasn’t been playing badly, he’s actually been pretty solid. So why is everyone wanting us to move on?

Shaq is easily the 4th or at worst 5th best player this season on Defense, has been consistent top 3-4 defensive player the last 3 seasons.

I think shaq has been average his entire career

Edited by mrcompletely11

36 minutes ago, Doc Holiday said:

No I don’t think he’s fallen off or anything tied to play.

I believe he and DJ and a couple other “leaders” will need to be jettisoned in order to successfully rebuild the locker room.

edit: and I’m not exactly happy about it either

Edited by L-TownCat

5 hours ago, SetfreexX said:

If it's via trade I'd be ok with it, Shaq is turning 29, so he's not really in the long term plans. 

However, I am not adverse to keeping him ''IF"' we can make the money work. 

For all those that were freaking out about negative caps space, people need to remember how fluid the salary cap actually is, I think we'll be fine once we get to that time of year and begin to make adjustments, etc. 

I personally want to see more Brandon Smith alongside Shaq, and Luvu.

I’d personally like to see Luvu active again lol