• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

"Fire Sale" not happening

Mr. Scot

7 minutes ago, frankw said:

Meanwhile our locker room is going to poo and we've got one disgruntled WR gone and another in DJ Moore we have to find some way to placate. But yay the CMC stans get to rub one out thinking about how many total yards he's gonna get in garbage time in yet another wasted season.

Dude, everyone knows this team is a complete dumpster fire. The people advocating for McCaffrey are saying maybe we shouldn't give away one of the only good things left on this team for cents on the dollar. 

• Pie 1

1 minute ago, stbugs said:

If we are planning to get out of his contract after 2023 and not looking at trading him that’s idiotic. So, we’d rather keep him 1 year and release him than trade him now for picks and honestly ensure we lose more and get a better draft slot?

I don’t get the don’t trade him but get out from under his contract ASAP plan. You either want him for the rest of his deal to help the offense or you don’t and you trade him for whatever you can get.

I'd plan on keeping him for the duration of his contract IF HEALTHY. That's the benefit of the non-guaranteed money. If he suffers another major injury, we can get out unscathed. If he doesn't, I'd happily pay $12 million per year when the going rate for a good wr is now easily over $20 million per year. 

1 minute ago, Peon Awesome said:

I'd plan on keeping him for the duration of his contract IF HEALTHY. That's the benefit of the non-guaranteed money. If he suffers another major injury, we can get out unscathed. If he doesn't, I'd happily pay $12 million per year when the going rate for a good wr is now easily over $20 million per year. 

You mean besides the 18.5M in dead cap already accrued? 

1 minute ago, Toomers said:

You mean besides the 18.5M in dead cap already accrued? 

Yeah, that's hitting us whether we keep him or not. So any decisions on keeping him (or any player really) is contingent on whether we think he's worth his base salary, in this case the $12 million. If you cut him, you don't get a refund on the dead cap and you don't magically replace his production for free. You're going to use that $12 million. I don't think we'll easily replace it with that money unless we get a steal in the draft. So I'd keep him. I can see the argument otherwise, especially if you worry about his injury history but everything is a calculated risk.

52 minutes ago, mrcompletely11 said:

So cmc is going to be cool just hanging around a poo team just to make it easier on our rookie qb?  We are 2 years minimum best case scenario for playoffs.  Lets do the right thing and send him to a winner now and get a pick or 2 for him.  By the time we make the playoffs you really think he is going to be productive?

Honestly, I dont care if he's 'cool' with it.

He signed a contract playing for the team, he didnt sign a contract saying I'll only play with the team if they are winning super bowls... 

23 minutes ago, Peon Awesome said:

Dude, everyone knows this team is a complete dumpster fire. The people advocating for McCaffrey are saying maybe we shouldn't give away one of the only good things left on this team for cents on the dollar. 

No use complaining about the level of compensation. We guaranteed this outcome eventually when we inked him to that deal when we didn't even have a starting quarterback on the roster yet and our OL was crap. He was worth more then than he will ever be now. Just such foolishness with how we've gone about building this team.

Edited by frankw

1 hour ago, mrcompletely11 said:

Ask yourself this.  If your were a bills fan would you be banging the table for the team to send a first to get cmac? 

My answer:  hell fug yes I would. I think that is what we probably see in the next couple weeks

Yep I bet Rams fans are happy their front office went all in and bought a ship home. I hope if we’re ever on the cusp again we have a front office with some stones to get us over the hump 

3 minutes ago, Peon Awesome said:

Yeah, that's hitting us whether we keep him or not. So any decisions on keeping him (or any player really) is contingent on whether we think he's worth his base salary, in this case the $12 million. If you cut him, you don't get a refund on the dead cap and you don't magically replace his production for free. You're going to use that $12 million. I don't think we'll easily replace it with that money unless we get a steal in the draft. So I'd keep him. I can see the argument otherwise, especially if you worry about his injury history but everything is a calculated risk.

It’s a huge risk to keep him this year. His main value is this cheap year. After the deadline, his value drops. And who knows what a new coach/staff will want to do. If they want to move on without him, his value probably drops to a 3rd at best. If he doesn’t get hurt again.  Take a late first or early second and do what most teams do. Draft quality young cheap RBs.