• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Trevor Lawrence proves going #1 doesn't mean much

Jmac

3 minutes ago, Davidson Deac II said:

It was an estimate, but I went and looked it up.  I was probably being generous with the 25%

Here is the list of qb's picked in the top five since 2011 (I started with Cam).  And the qb's picked after 2020, well the jury is still out.  

Burrow
Tua
Murray
Mayfield
Darnold
Trubisky
Goff
Wentz
Winston
Mariotta
Blake Bortles
Luck
RGIII

Cam.  

Personally, I would only call three of those picked in the top five elite.  Cam, Luck, and Burrow.  3 out of 14.  

I don't feel like looking up 6-10, but off the top of my head, we have Allen, Mahomes, and Herbert.  

I think leaving Josh Allen out is pretty bad.

Edit*

That's picking hairs a bit but I see the point...

Josh Allen and Justin Herbert were #6 and #7.

Edited by WeDoNotTank
You said top fivem

37 minutes ago, Krovvy said:

Every year, same argument.

Here's the same reply:

No matter what anecdotes you have it doesn't change the fact that mathematically having a higher pick gives you more of a chance to make the correct selection.

Yeah, but does having the FIRST pick give you that big of an advantage at the QB tree?

Edited by top dawg

34 minutes ago, WeDoNotTank said:

And the Giants are proving you don't need a good QB to go 6-1

Yeah but they go as far as Saquan goes ask us about the "give your RB the most touches in the NFL"  formula. It isn't built to last. They picked the right head coach though.

Edited by frankw

28 minutes ago, CRA said:

I mean his rookie year he went to a complete shitshow.  Urban got fired in season of year one and they had no talent. 

now he is in year 2 already in a new offense.   

they haven’t lost a game by more than a score this year with okay talent around him. He is completing 65% of his passes.  With the Eagles being the lone exception, they have had the lead in the 4th of every game. 

Right? He looks the part to me. Just need the team to fully settle into the new coach’s offense and get him some weapons. 

Just now, top dawg said:

Yeah, but does having the FIRST pick give you that big of an advantage at the QB tree?

Unless there’s a clear cut #1, I don’t think so. When Cam and Luck came out yes obviously, but this year I don’t think so. History tells us out of the top 3 the most likely scenario is one’s a good starter ones a JAG ones a bust. If we get any of the 3 between Young Levis and Stroud I’ll be happy 

• Pie 1

Just now, WeDoNotTank said:

Edited op

No worries.

And it probably is splitting hairs, but I don't think KC, Buffalo, or SD intentionally tanked.  They just let the chips fall so to speak.  IMO, there is so much luck involved in getting a elite qb, that it really isn't worth trying to jockey for a top five pick just so you can have a 1 in 4 or 5 shot at getting an elite qb.  

But if we do end up with a top five pick, I will keep my fingers crossed that he turns into the next Mahomes.  

• Pie 1