• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

There's a lot of people saying picking number one doesn't mean much...

Mol3m4n

47 minutes ago, WeDoNotTank said:

And yet they has the choice of Mahomes and Allen and said nah fug that we wanna suck.

mahomes is a outliner... just like brady. yeah ever 5 years you might find a guy like mahomes who has lofty potential and actually live up to it. but those are gambles that payoff. the more sure thing usually goes higher in the draft. not sure what point yout trying to make. 

what even a broken clock is right twice a day argument?

• Flames 1

people are just happy to know what it likes to win but the more tape other teams have to prepare, I have a feeling this team is going to get manhandled.

Picking 5-10 really is the worst, not enough to build on and you get leftovers of top talent.

I mean that’s what we’ve don for three years straight and yet here we are.

• Pie 1
  • Flames 1
  • Poo 1

3 hours ago, WeDoNotTank said:

The NFL needs to implement a top five draft lottery to get rid of the tanking.

If you get your wish, that means small market teams will NEVER get the top pick. The NFL would give it to the larger markets. See Charlotte Hornets

P.S. If you’re not trolling here, you are truly a dumb motherfuger

• Poo 1

The problem I see with the whole "we need the number one pick" argument is that it's based on the notion that if we just get this magical unicorn quarterback, everything else will fall into place.

We actually had that unicorn a few years back, and yes we got close to a championship but we didn't win it, and we never went back.

Why?

Same reason that the Chiefs always seem to be in the thick of it while the Packers nearly always falter.

You need a great team built around that quarterback just as much as you need that quarterback.

There have been teams that have had a great quarterback but not much else. You don't see those teams winning championship trophies.

On the flipside though, you saw a team with a quarterback that wasn't necessarily such a special unicorn but had the right pieces around him win several of the past decades Super Bowls.

Gotta look at the whole picture, not just the center of it.

• Pie 4
  • Beer 1

1 minute ago, Mr. Scot said:

The problem I see with the whole "we need the number one pick" argument is that it's based on the notion that if we just get this magical unicorn quarterback, everything else will fall into place.

We actually had that unicorn a few years back, and yes we got close to a championship but we didn't win it, and we never went back.

Why?

Same reason that the Chiefs always seem to be in the thick of it while the Packers nearly always falter.

You need a great team built around that quarterback just as much as you need that quarterback.

There have been teams that have had a great quarterback but not much else. You don't see those teams winning championship trophies.

On the flipside though, you saw a team with a quarterback that wasn't necessarily such a special unicorn but had the right pieces around him win several of the past decades Super Bowls.

Gotta look at the whole picture, not just the center of it.

We just need to get a QB. That is all I care about. We can get him at 1st or 10th. Just draft one finally please. 

29 minutes ago, Wes21 said:

Going back to 1970 there have only been 3 QBs taken #1 that have won a Super Bowl for the team that drafted them.  Which means every other Super Bowl was won by a QB who wasn't the #1 overall pick, or he was the #1 overall pick but won it with a different team than the one that drafted him (like Baker Mayfield).

Of those guys I would say that Terry Bradshaw is the gold standard.  He only played for the Steelers and there isn't much about his situation that is unusual.  The next guy is Troy Aikman.  What's interesting about Troy is that the Cowboys had so much draft capital from the Herschel Walker trade that they used TWO 1st round picks on QB that year (the other was Steve Walsh).  Peyton Manning is the other guy, and he is what everybody wants.  A guy that comes in and single handedly changes everything about the franchise.  However, it must be said that Peyton also won a Super Bowl with a team that didn't have to tank and get the #1 overall pick to acquire him. 

Actually, you’re incorrect with that first statement.

John Elway was drafted #1 overall in 1983. He won 2 SB’s with Denver (although he wasn’t able to do so until the last 2 years of his career 1997-1998)

Eli Manning went #1 in his draft class. He was drafted by the Chargers, but he never played a down with them because he was moved to the Giants in a trade on draft day that involved Philip Rivers. So, technically he didn’t win a SB with the team that drafted him, but NY Giants were the only team he ever played for in the NFL and he won 2 Super Bowl for the franchise.

3 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

How long does that QB last though if we don't have a good enough offensive line to keep them from getting killed?

Fair point. But now that we have a good line we need to prioritize a QB and a top pick would, as people said, give us the pick of the litter. 
Still, for me, I hope during this off-season we can finally start solidifying the most important position on the field. 

• Pie 2

34 minutes ago, micnificent28 said:

mahomes is a outliner... just like brady. yeah ever 5 years you might find a guy like mahomes who has lofty potential and actually live up to it. but those are gambles that payoff. the more sure thing usually goes higher in the draft. not sure what point yout trying to make. 

what even a broken clock is right twice a day argument?

Correct argument, but since we don't personally have any control over the situation wait and be it shall be.

One thing to keep in mind is that there seems to be a changing of the guard at the QB position. Look at how many teams have subpar QB play this season, and how some of the big names aren't having great seasons. I think we are seeing a shift right now, and maybe picking at the top of the draft isn't the most important thing in the world, especially if the guys that are up there may not be worth that kind of scratch and hype.

It's an interesting time, I mean especially since the wage scale was partly brought about to make picking a QB at 1 not a necessity anymore. This class may not have a superstar qb in it, but I think it's got got some depth that in the right setting can develop into quality.

Don’t get me wrong getting a franchise Quarterback is priority #1 but reaching makes no sense. I rather build a strong roster ideally through the trenches. Also picking number 1 overall doesn’t mean best quarterback. Look at the top 8 QBs right now

Allen Mahomes Jackson Hurts Brady Rodgers  Herbert Burrow

only 1 was taking first overall

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1