• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Players hoping to help Wilks win the full time job

Mr. Scot

I'm just happy Wilks is operating in Charlotte where he's comfortable and has a great support system.  I know it feels good to him to be running the Panthers, I'm sure he felt on an island in Arizona and his consequent firing was a rough hand to be dealt. However, I don't want him to be our HC next year unless he leads us to the playoffs this year. Then I'd listen to HC opportunity for him if that happens. 

3 hours ago, Mr. Scot said:

There's a lot of ways to look at it.

Sometimes there's pretty good benefit to be found in not doing what everyone else is doing. In the NFL, it can mean that other teams who've loaded up to battle against the most common type of scheme don't necessarily have what it takes to deal with you.

On the flipside, it's definitely true that more and better offense is where the league is headed. You've got to be able to keep up with that, and league rules have made that increasingly difficult for defensive coaches to do.

Tough decision...

I’ll add that a fundamentals-first team that emphasizes execution over flair could overcome whatever mismatch the new rules create. 

• Beer 1

I would say this, historically speaking...

I've seen a lot of cases over the years where players supported their interim coach getting the full-time job.

Can't say I remember many of them succeeding.

Certainly there have been a few, but more often than not it's an uphill battle that ends in failure.

Wilks could be one of those rare exceptions, but they're rare for a reason.

• Beer 2

Wilks is a motivator.  He knows how to get the most out of his players.  He knows how to make them accountable.  I think if he continues to win and shows he can get the most out of our offense than he should be retained.   If he can get McAdoo to do better than imagine what he could do with a young offensive minded OC.  

If he does well, Keep the entire staff together minus McAdoo.  Get an OC that has an imagination and the ability to adjust. 

I mentioned that hiring a good offensive minded head coach means you would never have to worry about changing schemes if your OC gets his own gig.  @Mr. Scot reminded me that the same applies for a good defensive minded head coach. 

I will say, if we somehow get an opportunity to get Peyton.  I would want Peyton to offer him the DC position.  It's a step down but he might get another opportunity as a HC later down the road by showing off his defense.