• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Why I feel Wilks needs another season to win his job.

Snake

Looking ahead to next year and seeing the situation we are in doesn't look pretty. We are almost a million over the cap with little talent to boot. Even with restructuring Moton,DJ, and DJ Moores contracts we only have about 23 million to spend on Rookie contracts and FA. I'm sure the cap gurus on here could find a bit more money but it's still low and we won't have enough to make a difference in FA. With that said unless we somehow attract a all star prospective coach I don't think we should move on from Wilks. It's a win/win for both sides next year because it will allow us to continue to rebuild our roster while giving Wilks a full year as head coach. While I'm rarely for these type of situations this just makes sense if quality candidates pass on the Panthers bad situation. I would also like to hear from some of the better cap Gurus to maybe break down how we would land a quality HC with our situation because as I've said I'm not a wizard with that. 

4 minutes ago, *FreeFua* said:

So you want our highly drafted rookie QB to be paired up with Wilks?

If everything goes wrong once again and we’re left with nothing at QB then who knows

We are not even promised that this year. We win one more game and we are picking 5 through 7. Do you think we are going to be able to outsuck the Lions and Texans? Do you feel Fitt isn't capable of drafting a QB? Thought? 

Just now, Pakmeng said:

I dont think we will have problems attracting candidates. It's an NFL team. Just forget about Payton as that's a waste of resources and the saints aren't trading us his rights.

I also don't think we are devoid of talent anywhere near the extent to which a first time coach would not want the job. That's only a concern with the retreads.

They will free up cap space. 

But how and why? 

Snake, I think your point is that Wilks may be the best candidate available given our situation, and essentially extending him for a year may put us in position to attract a better candidate.

All I can say is time will tell, both on Wilks' resume for the job (both one more year or even more) and whether anybody worth anything wants to talk to us.

I agree with @Pakmeng that our roster is not devoid of talent.  How much is still in front of the jury since our former coach had a squelching effect on how well players could perform.  Maybe this adds to your point, but I think the rest of this year is about assessing whether the players we think are good really are and were hindered by The Process or whether our evaluation of them is wrong. 

If it turns out our roster is bad and nobody wants to talk to us, or if Wilks is better than those who do, extending him a year makes sense for us.  But, I'm not sure why he would do that unless he has no better offers.  Essentially we'd be asking him to be a lame duck for a year, wouldn't we?

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

4 minutes ago, Pakmeng said:

It's a fine thought process but it ignores the fact that Wilks isn't going to be a pawn in this. He's going to want a contract that doesn't set him up for the same situation again.  And Tepper isn't going to give him that if it's not sincere since he's paying Beevis so much still.

If Wilks was 72 years old and putting out on the 18th green of his career, maybe a one-year gig for a decent (but not overwhelming) haul would be tempting.  Go all in for the final year and then retire.

But he isn't 72 and I assume he is not planning on retiring after 2023.

1 hour ago, Sgt Schultz said:

Snake, I think your point is that Wilks may be the best candidate available given our situation, and essentially extending him for a year may put us in position to attract a better candidate.

All I can say is time will tell, both on Wilks' resume for the job (both one more year or even more) and whether anybody worth anything wants to talk to us.

I agree with @Pakmeng that our roster is not devoid of talent.  How much is still in front of the jury since our former coach had a squelching effect on how well players could perform.  Maybe this adds to your point, but I think the rest of this year is about assessing whether the players we think are good really are and were hindered by The Process or whether our evaluation of them is wrong. 

If it turns out our roster is bad and nobody wants to talk to us, or if Wilks is better than those who do, extending him a year makes sense for us.  But, I'm not sure why he would do that unless he has no better offers.  Essentially we'd be asking him to be a lame duck for a year, wouldn't we?

1 hour ago, ladypanther said:

I doubt he want to be a bridge guy again.  Give him the job...go get a good offensive mind (with NFL experience) and we are set.

The reason I would think he would take that chance is that it would be another feather in his resume and would give him a full offseason to show how good he really is. He's in a lame duck situation as we speak without any staff picks. I'm not sold he's a terrible coach. The only thing I'm sold on is he needs more time. Even if we give him a two year deal it wouldn't be costly and would all Fitt to undo a lot of Rhules screw ups. Trying to evaluate him right now is very difficult. With that said if we can land a proven quality HC then you definitely pull the trigger on that. That's not a knock on wilks that's just business. 

51 minutes ago, TLGPanthersFan said:

Why do people want another conservative, old fashioned HC? 
People wanting to settle with Wilks is hilariously short sighted. 

Exactly. Like the best possible candidate just so happened to already be on the team and coincidently was made HC? Lol

No.

You go out and get the best possible candidate for the modern NFL. And as a spoiler alert, it will probably be someone who has interest from other teams aside from only the Panthers. 

• Pie 4
  • Beer 1

1 hour ago, *FreeFua* said:

So you want our highly drafted rookie QB to be paired up with Wilks?

If everything goes wrong once again and we’re left with nothing at QB then who knows

Where is it written that Wilks is BAD for a rookie QB? Yes, he may not be some offense guru nerd but the guy is a leader and cares. I will take leadership, intelligence (Rhule had zero), care for his players, and no non sense blue collar approach he seems to have over offense nerd any day. Wilks isn't stupid and knows he is not an offensive guru so I bet he would go out and find one. Hell, I am willing to bet Brady may have potentially been better under Wilks. The first thing a young QB needs is a good leader in a coach and if you can find him a good veteran willing to teach and help then you have one hell of a good healthy venue for growth and development. Throw into the mix an offense guru nerd QB coach and coordinator and you could have a perfect situation to get the most growth possible out of a QB and thats all you could possibly ask for. I don't see Wilks being bad for a young QB at all. Hell, look how the players seem to be responding to Wilks with more energy, fire and effort on all sides of the ball already.

• Pie 2
  • Beer 1