• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Remember those draft picks for Watson?

NAS

27 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

I don't.

For one, as stated I don't believe the team wants to go that route. But for another, if they balked at fully guaranteeing Watson's contract, why would they then turn around and fully guarantee one for Jackson?

Because Jackson is not being sued for sexual assault 

• Flames 1

49 minutes ago, Waldo said:

Then they are 100% correct to move along. It's a terrible move with a salary cap.

look for more players to push for this.

fully guaranteed contracts have been the quiet elephant in the room that got tiptoed around for a long time. the nfl has tried to ease into it via the draft and slowly increasing guaranteed money % on new contracts. then out of nowhere...

....here come the browns.

Edited by demcj
  • Pie 1
  • Poo 1

We don't have to give up ANY picks for Lamar Jackson.  He's an unrestricted free agent after this season.

However, I also don't think we should pay him.  I think the QB market has finally reached a tipping point.  Teams are starting to see what happens when you commit too much of your cap to a QB.  The impending retirements of Rodgers, Brady, Wilson, etc are going to open up the playoffs to a number of teams with only "good" QB's.

We've spent a lot of seasons now with some generational QB's in the league.  Seems like we may be entering a patch where there aren't very many, if any, truly generational QB's in the NFL.  And frankly, it will probably make things more interesting.

• Pie 3

1 minute ago, Jaxel said:

I admit russ is a mystery, but Watson was a huge gamble from the start, and he hasn't even played yet, he could still be great.

Any fully guaranteed contract is an issue with a salary cap. It takes a lot options off the table from the start and marries a team to a player for a long time no matter what, which is a terrible idea in the NFL with the constant injuries. A non-fully guaranteed contract can be latter renegotiated and adjusted along the way. The only way that makes sense is if you do short contracts like 2 years otherwise it's a terrible deal for the team. 

2 minutes ago, demcj said:

look for more players to push for this.

fully guaranteed contracts have been the quiet elephant in the room that got tiptoed around for a long time. the nfl has tried to ease into it via the draft, and the reason why guaranteed money % on new contracts has been slowly growing. then out of nowhere...

....the browns.

I expect plenty of push and more moves like the Raven's being prepared to trade a quality QB away in his prime. They can get rid of the cap and be like Baseball, yuck. Not sure on NBA because I don't know much there. Any team taking on a long-term guaranteed contract of that size hasn't learned anything from the Watson and Russ mistakes. 

4 minutes ago, BrianS said:

We don't have to give up ANY picks for Lamar Jackson.  He's an unrestricted free agent after this season.

However, I also don't think we should pay him.  I think the QB market has finally reached a tipping point.  Teams are starting to see what happens when you commit too much of your cap to a QB.  The impending retirements of Rodgers, Brady, Wilson, etc are going to open up the playoffs to a number of teams with only "good" QB's.

We've spent a lot of seasons now with some generational QB's in the league.  Seems like we may be entering a patch where there aren't very many, if any, truly generational QB's in the NFL.  And frankly, it will probably make things more interesting.

He is getting the tag and everyone knows it.

22 minutes ago, Jaxel said:

Ya'll are crazy, I'd take Lamar right here today, if all he costs is 2 First round picks.

He's 20th in the league in passing yards.

A whopping 40 yards ahead of Daniel Jones and 100 and 150 yds ahead of Andy Dalton and Marcus Mariota 

And Dalton has played 3 less games than him.

Lol he's not elite. Not in any stretch of the imagination is he an elite QB

2 hours ago, Catsfan69 said:

Go look at his numbers. He has only broken 3k one time in his career and he barely did that.

You keep him in the pocket and he's done.

What did he manage against our depleted secondary?

Yeah, not sure you are judging him correctly.

Winston has broken 4k yards three times in his career. Are you saying he is a better QB? 

Carson Wentz has broken 3k yards 5 times in his career. Are you saying he is a better QB?

• Pie 1

1 hour ago, Jaxel said:

Ya'll are crazy, I'd take Lamar right here today, if all he costs is 2 First round picks.

Of course. But where are you guys getting these numbers? The Ravens aren't even picking up the phone for 2 firsts. I get we don't have much to talk about but can we have just a little more realism here? Put yourself in the shoes of someone else for a moment. If you're the Ravens GM you are going to take two firsts for a 25 year old MVP quarterback? It would take an offer of 4-5 for them to listen. Even then why would you take it because if you're the GM you damn sure won't be around to use those picks you've sealed your fate.

7 minutes ago, kungfoodude said:

Yeah, not sure you are judging him correctly.

Winston has broken 4k yards three times in his career. Are you saying he is a better QB? 

Carson Wentz has broken 3k yards 5 times in his career. Are you saying he is a better QB?

I'm saying Lamar with his abilities is not going to win a Superbowl. 

Running from the QB position in the playoffs has never been fully successful. 

It just gets harder to depend on your legs for 30 percent of your production against good teams. They will take that away and you are done.

I thought he would make a leap by now but he hasn't. He's pretty much the same guy he's always been.