• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Ellis Williams. Char observer on top 4 QBs Note, This is not in depth

Varking

1 hour ago, LinvilleGorge said:

I honestly don't think I've seen anyone make that argument either. You need both. I think what you've seen argued is that Richardson has very intriguing talent IF you think he can be developed and you've interpreted that as thinking everything CAN be coached up.

The way I typically see it phrased is "well that kind of speed / arm strength / athleticism / whatever isn't coachable, so you draft that and then coach the other parts".

And yes I've seen that here, but not just here.

This is one of my biggest disagreements with our buddy Ellis. He's a big proponent of that philosophy.

Edited by Mr. Scot

1 hour ago, Jackie Lee said:

Also on the flip side there have been plenty of "safe" "pro style offense/NFL ready" guys that completely busted. Fine in college but couldn't handle NFL pressure. 

Ever hear the saying "there are three things that can happen when you throw a pass, and two of them are bad"?

Drafting a quarterback is a lot like that.

5 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

The way I typically see it phrased is "well that kind of speed / arm strength / athleticism / whatever isn't coachable, so you draft that and then coach the other parts".

And yes I've seen that here, but not just here.

This is one of my biggest disagreements with our buddy Ellis. He's a big proponent of that philosophy.

Well, the physically traits certainly aren't coachable. The others may or may not be depending on a kid's coachability and mental make up. We can see the physical traits watching them play. We have very limited insight into the coachability aspect.

• Beer 1

1 hour ago, Kentucky Panther said:

When Levis is healthy he’s the better QB.  It’s painful being a UK football fan most years but I watch every game.  I have seen a lot of Richardsons games, too. You won’t see many scouts with Richardson ahead of Levis. But sure, those four games with zero context are appealing. 

I realize since you're a Kentucky fan this might not apply to you, but here's the question I ask in general to fans of Levis.

Is it really Levis that you want to draft or are you wanting to draft the next Josh Allen and you hope Levis is that guy?

5 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

Well, the physically traits certainly aren't coachable. The others may or may not be depending on a kid's coachability and mental make up. We can see the physical traits watching them play. We have very limited insight into the coachability aspect.

Correct, but there's a decent sized segment of the fanbase for whom those physical characteristics are all they need to see.

That's just not enough for me.

Edited by Mr. Scot

Hopefully Tepper got to watch a couple Kentucky games this year and changed his mind...

If the season ended today, the Panthers would pick second in the 2023 NFL Draft. According to a source with direct knowledge of the situation, Tepper entered the season with eyes for Levis.

“(Tepper) just sees football differently,” a league source said. “He isn’t going to pay for (a) Deshaun (Watson). He will try to win with a QB on a rookie contract. He wants Will Levis.”

That was before Levis played a 2022 game

1 hour ago, kungfoodude said:

We are pretty early in the evaluation cycle but it is surprising to hear anonymous quotes from NFL FO people saying they are still very high on Levis.

If you're talking about what actual NFL personnel people think about any of this year's draft prospects, at this point we don't know sh-t.

And come April, we probably still won't.

We'll have loads of knowledge about what media analysts think, but actual NFL teams tend not to let that information be made public.

17 minutes ago, stirs said:

No worries, there will be another tomorrow.  And everyone will feel obligated to reiterate their same stance.

There are people on here who never take a stance but like to be Monday morning QBs with those who do  

then there are people who  go on record 

It’s a shame for both groups that after 3 years, we are still doing qb draft discussions 

18 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

If you're talking about what actual NFL personnel people think about any of this year's draft prospects, at this point we don't know sh-t.

And come April, we probably still won't.

We'll have loads of knowledge about what media analysts think, but actual NFL teams tend not to let that information be made public.

Saw an article the other day quoting 4-5 current NFL FO guys and they all were still high on Levis.

Perhaps the NFL crowd isn't as down on him as we are. TBD.

3 hours ago, LinvilleGorge said:

This. Yeah, I get the size concerns with Young. Yeah I get the concerns that Stroud might not translate if he was on a lesser team. Yeah, I fully get that Richardson is boom or bust. But damn it, at some point you gotta take your swing. If you whiff swing again.

None of the best young QBs currently in the league were slam dunk prospects. They all had significant question marks.

We can start Corral and then wait for Maye if necessary  

I'd rather do that.