• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Current Win Total Odds for Remainder of Season

MHS831

1 hour ago, MHS831 said:

If we do not fall behind early, Sam can manage the game and our defense can step up.  If it falls on his shoulders, we could be in trouble.

I think a number to keep an eye on is 20 passes attempted. Anything more than 20 and I think the odds of winning gets exponentially lower with each attempt.

If we can keep Darnold from having to pass much and get that running game cooking, any of these games are winnable.

Edited by kungfoodude
  • Pie 1

14 hours ago, kungfoodude said:

I think a number to keep an eye on is 20 passes attempted. Anything more than 20 and I think the odds of winning gets exponentially lower with each attempt.

If we can keep Darnold from having to pass much and get that running game cooking, any of these games are winnable.

Yeah, which is why he looks tremendously better when the Panthers are in front and the D is playing well.

The OL is showing it can be really good in the run game and the pass pro is 3x better than last year. 

As the QB price tag goes up to $50m per year, it could be that the best move is to build everything else and go with a game manager at QB.

So if we can't find a QB, maybe the best approach is to go after a TE, LB, and DE.

• Pie 1

40 minutes ago, MHS831 said:

Yeah, which is why he looks tremendously better when the Panthers are in front and the D is playing well.

The OL is showing it can be really good in the run game and the pass pro is 3x better than last year. 

As the QB price tag goes up to $50m per year, it could be that the best move is to build everything else and go with a game manager at QB.

So if we can't find a QB, maybe the best approach is to go after a TE, LB, and DE.

Yeah but Darnold is one of the worst possible game managers you could have.

20 hours ago, DaveThePanther2008 said:

It's better than sitting around crying because we just lost draft position.

Optimism, you should try it.

No it's annoying to think most of you people are hitching your cart to a "new and improved Darnold". I really wish I had some swamp land to sale because most of you would buy it up. 

3 hours ago, kungfoodude said:

Yeah but Darnold is one of the worst possible game managers you could have.

I am basing this on the fact that he is only 24 and has never really had a team to manage.  But if we have realistic options, yes, explore them please.

If we draft a QB of the future, you need a bridge qb in most scenarios.  Those guys used to be veterans who were squeezing out a few years.  It just seems the new QB of the NFL does not permit that as much as it did. And then there is the $$$ a backup costs now--do you pay that $$$ for a 1-year stopgap with a foot in retirement or do you find a developmental player?  I Dunno.

I am the worst at predicting QB talent in the NFL, but I do know that talent levels tend to fluctuate with support.  Throwing under pressure and on the run is a lot different than in a clean pocket.  So many young prospects are thrown to the wolves as franchise saviors and they are set up to fail.  At 21 years old or so, it must be overwhelming.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

19 minutes ago, MHS831 said:

I am basing this on the fact that he is only 24 and has never really had a team to manage.  But if we have realistic options, yes, explore them please.

If we draft a QB of the future, you need a bridge qb in most scenarios.  Those guys used to be veterans who were squeezing out a few years.  It just seems the new QB of the NFL does not permit that as much as it did. And then there is the $$$ a backup costs now--do you pay that $$$ for a 1-year stopgap with a foot in retirement or do you find a developmental player?  I Dunno.

I am the worst at predicting QB talent in the NFL, but I do know that talent levels tend to fluctuate with support.  Throwing under pressure and on the run is a lot different than in a clean pocket.  So many young prospects are thrown to the wolves as franchise saviors and they are set up to fail.  At 21 years old or so, it must be overwhelming.

I mean.....surely we are not still pushing the "he's only" narrative anymore, right? Baker Mayfield is only 27, should we keep him around? Johnny Manziel is only 29, maybe give him a shot?

If you want a bridge guy, there are ample amounts of Teddy Bridgewater's, Jimmy G's, Jacoby Brissett's, Taylor Heinickie's, Geno Smith's, Tyrod Taylor's, Andy Dalton's, etc, etc that can fill that game managing veteran role for us. There is quite literally no reason to keep players that have time and time again, unquestionably proven that they are not NFL caliber players.

No matter what direction we go in this offseason, one part of it is going to have to be a decent veteran QB. Even if just as a backup.