• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Draft a QB or Re-Up with Darnold?

bLACKpANTHER

We make the playoffs & are picking no higher than #18... WYD?  

100 members have voted

1. 1. We make the playoffs & are picking no higher than #18... WYD?

• Trade Up in Draft to get a Top 4 QB
    • Draft a lower ranked QB
    • Pass on young QBs, re-sign Darnold & address other needs (DE, TE, WR)
    • Pass on young QBs, sign FA QB (Lamar, Brady, Jimmy G, Daniel Jones, Geno)

8 minutes ago, mrcompletely11 said:

https://www.theringer.com/nfl-draft/2022/12/15/23510194/mock-draft-texans-colts-panthers-bryce-young-cj-stroud-will-levis

Best case scenario if this works out.  We would be in the playoffs 100% without a doubt if this were to happen

9. Carolina Panthers: QB C.J. Stroud, Ohio State

The Panthers’ recent investments into the quarterback position (including trades for Sam Darnold and Baker Mayfield, and the selection of Matt Corral in the third round of the 2022 draft) shouldn’t stop them from pouncing on Stroud if he falls this far on draft night. The former Buckeyes quarterback has a strong arm and pinpoint accuracy throwing downfield. There are questions about his ability to function out of structure, but he has all the tools to develop into a high-level pocket passer.

I saw that same article, and remembering the way Fields dropped I could not dismiss the possibility. 

This week will tell us a lot about where we can expect to draft.  The Steelers have been awful, but up until last week they were good against the run.  I think they were 5th in YPC rush defense.  They sunk to 6th after the Ravens game, and they are middle of the pack in rushing yards allowed per game.  I guess that makes sense because they have spent much of this year on the short end of the scoreboard with teams running at them as a result.  That makes the YPC even more impressive, since they are doing it over the course of a lot of carries.

All that means running the ball down their throats this week is not a given.

15 minutes ago, glenwo2 said:

Will he still be available by the time the season ended, though?

If we keep winning, he might end up out of reach.

If stroud falls to the top 10 range and we are in the 15-18 slot then I would be beating the table wanting to move up to get him.  I think stroud is good enough to win a lot of games for us.  He isnt the athletic marvel fields is but he is plenty good to be a franchise guy for us. 

If we win the South, we aint getting a round 1 QB. Probably would even cost too much to move up. Like next years 1st as well. Might as well draft best available at that point. Lets get another weapon on offense or maybe another edge rusher or DT. We need to see what Corral has. Might as well try to sign Darnold for backup money. If he wants more let him walk. Go into the season with it being Corral's job to loose.

On 12/14/2022 at 9:42 AM, LinvilleGorge said:

Yep. That's the only one.

On 12/14/2022 at 9:43 AM, travisura said:

Or give him backup money for a FA QB we could hypothetically sign. I'm not saying that keeping Sam as QB1 is what we should do, only that I think there are certain contexts where it wouldn't be inconceivable to bring him back.

I would think the offensive coordinator we have next year’s opinion would certainly weigh heavily on what direction we take on a “bridge” quarterback. Minshew might look at what Trubisky signed for with Pittsburgh and want too much. Digging through the possibilities for bridge quarterbacks is a challenge for sure. I would prefer it not be PJ and 2 rookies. 

12 hours ago, mrcompletely11 said:

If stroud falls to the top 10 range and we are in the 15-18 slot then I would be beating the table wanting to move up to get him.  I think stroud is good enough to win a lot of games for us.  He isnt the athletic marvel fields is but he is plenty good to be a franchise guy for us. 

Let's see how he looks vs Georgia on NYE first

• Pie 1

15 hours ago, mrcompletely11 said:

If we can land Stroud we gotta 1000% go the Bengals route and get him Marvin Harrison Jnr the following year.