• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Draft a QB or Re-Up with Darnold?

bLACKpANTHER

We make the playoffs & are picking no higher than #18... WYD?  

100 members have voted

1. 1. We make the playoffs & are picking no higher than #18... WYD?

• Trade Up in Draft to get a Top 4 QB
    • Draft a lower ranked QB
    • Pass on young QBs, re-sign Darnold & address other needs (DE, TE, WR)
    • Pass on young QBs, sign FA QB (Lamar, Brady, Jimmy G, Daniel Jones, Geno)

If we make the playoffs, I think it’s a combination of resign Darnold (depends on money and I’m assuming he keeps game managing well), AND drafting someone to compete with Corral. 

Normally you keep 2 QB’s, but we need to figure the position out, so having two young guys to develop behind a game manager is a plausible way to go. 

I’ve expressed my liking of Corral, but you never know how someone responds to a lisfranc injury. You have to have another young guy to raise your chance of finding success at the position. 

• Beer 1

I'm not sure.  You have to go with the player you love. 

We don't know who our next HC is.  Will Fitts survive?  Those are pretty important questions.  

Regardless, if there's a QB you like, you move heaven and earth to get them.  Look at how Mahomes and Allen were drafted.  Trades to get them.  So that's what I think should happen.  Get the guy you want, you love, you want to build your franchise around no matter the cost.  

We know how expensive it is NOT to have a franchise guy who you can build your team around.

• Pie 2

5 minutes ago, 1of10Charnatives said:

You guys realize Darnold just won that game throwing for a grand total of 24 attempts, several of those were throw the ball away downs, and you could count the number of times he even attempted to throw farther than say 10 yards on one hand, right?

Everyone take a deep breathe, focus, and try to wrap your head around the fact the only thing this game told us about Darnold is that if he's asked to throw very few times on very short routes with a very effective run game, he seems capable of not turning it over.

With a one game sample size against a bad defense.

That is all.

7 total attempts 5+ yards beyond the LOS (and two of those were 6 yards). Only 4 10+ yards. The entire offensive game plan is basically "don't let Sam Darnold throw the game away".

• Pie 2
  • Beer 5
  • The D 1

1 minute ago, travisura said:

All depends on the context of his hypothetical re-signing. There are scenarios in which it would make sense. 

"Sam, we think you've proven you might possibly be our veteran backup QB. Here's backup QB money, go be great in the meeting room and let's all hope our bright shiny first round pick doesn't get injured."

This is the only scenario that comes to mind, and I'm not even 100% on it.

• Pie 4

Draft a QB in 1st/2nd round, maybe trade up if the new HC (or OC if it's Wilks) really falls in love with a particular guy this draft. Sam ain't the answer, if he'll stay for cheap I'd be fine to keep him as a pure backup but not as a starter or even bridge guy. Let a rookie QB or Corral roll.

• Pie 2

Just now, 1of10Charnatives said:

"Sam, we think you've proven you might possibly be our veteran backup QB. Here's backup QB money, go be great in the meeting room and let's all hope our bright shiny first round pick doesn't get injured."

Yep. That's the only one.

7 minutes ago, d-dave said:

I'm not sure.  You have to go with the player you love. 

We don't know who our next HC is.  Will Fitts survive?  Those are pretty important questions.  

Regardless, if there's a QB you like, you move heaven and earth to get them.  Look at how Mahomes and Allen were drafted.  Trades to get them.  So that's what I think should happen.  Get the guy you want, you love, you want to build your franchise around no matter the cost.  

We know how expensive it is NOT to have a franchise guy who you can build your team around.

Even the Mahomes and Allen comparisons don't work because both were benched / shocking as rookies. 

You need someone behind C for next year regardless.

• Beer 1

Just now, 1of10Charnatives said:

Or give him backup money for a FA QB we could hypothetically sign. I'm not saying that keeping Sam as QB1 is what we should do, only that I think there are certain contexts where it wouldn't be inconceivable to bring him back.