• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Apple pulls out. So does Disney/ESPN

PanthersATL

I live in Colorado, so I have had the Sunday ticket app forever. You used to be required to have Direct TV in order to get it UNLESS you had a place that the HOA or landlord did not allow satellites.

I would have rather been forced to dig my eyeballs out with a spork than have that shitty Direct TV service again. Used an old address that didn't allow satellites and have been able to run with it since 2017 with no issues. 

Now onto the actual service - fug DIRECT TV. Their app is garbage and unreliable.

I would LOVE to have the option to just pay for the Panthers, but greedy people gonna be greedy. The service through Youtube TV or Amazon will be far superior and make the viewing experience a million times better for anyone who lives out of state. 

TLDR: Direct TV is ass chum and needs to be taken out to the pasture like old yeller. Next year will be so much better for everyone when it comes to watching games out of market.

• Pie 2
  • Beer 2

2 hours ago, Cullenator said:

The problem with streaming from those other sites is that I dont want to watch the game on a 15 inch screen.  I paid good money for that 60ish inch screen and Ill watch redzone there before my wife and I huddle around my 15" laptop monitor.

Id buy the whole season, all 32 teams as long as I didnt also have to subscribe to an entire provider at the same time.  Apple TV would have been great but Amazon isnt a horrible alternative.

You should be able to cast from your device to your TV.  

• Beer 1

34 minutes ago, Knaakedup said:

I live in Colorado, so I have had the Sunday ticket app forever. You used to be required to have Direct TV in order to get it UNLESS you had a place that the HOA or landlord did not allow satellites.

I would have rather been forced to dig my eyeballs out with a spork than have that shitty Direct TV service again. Used an old address that didn't allow satellites and have been able to run with it since 2017 with no issues. 

Now onto the actual service - fug DIRECT TV. Their app is garbage and unreliable.

I would LOVE to have the option to just pay for the Panthers, but greedy people gonna be greedy. The service through Youtube TV or Amazon will be far superior and make the viewing experience a million times better for anyone who lives out of state. 

TLDR: Direct TV is ass chum and needs to be taken out to the pasture like old yeller. Next year will be so much better for everyone when it comes to watching games out of market.

I had DirecTV for years out of spite for Comcast Cable and how they were overcharging me.  The customer service was unbelievably bad, particularly after they got in bed with AT&T.  I swear I have never gotten off of the phone with them in anything less than 45 minutes, with most calls lasting an hour or more.

I think the "pick a team to follow" option would be a favorite feature for customers.  The issue there is obviously the networks packages not jiving with that option.  So one weak you would be buying a FOX game and the next week it would be a CBS game, depending on who we are playing that week.

I will tell you how stupid the networks can be sometimes.  I have Cox Cable and they allow for viewing live TV thru their APP.  However, you can't watch every channel that you have in live format.  So if I want to watch a college football game on ABC, I can't just log into my Cox APP and see it.  I have to go to the ABC APP and use my Cox Cable login credentials and watch it on ABC's APP.  If that is the ONLY thing I want to watch its a minor inconvenience.  But if I want to channel hop to another college game on NBC, I then have to get out of the ABC APP and pull up the NBC APP.

3 hours ago, Snake said:

Your idea is flawed in that the Cowboys are rarely a winning team. No matter how much they win or lose the Cowboys and Steelers make up most of the popularity in the NFL. I doesn't matter if the Browns have 3 winning seasons they will never be as popular as Dal or Pitt. The only way to really get people watching other teams is fantasy football or sports betting. Something I wish NC would do but they still have this weird situation where the government is pro LGBTQ+ yet also pro Bible Belt. And the Bible thumpers don't want to allow drinking and gambling. 

If you make the most money (most game purchases) then you deserve the most revenue from the league.

Would force teams to try to get more fans, build better teams, and have better outreach and marketing.

I like competition, even at the owner level.

A big issue is the NFL, and by that I mean out of touch honchos who have never watched a sport in their life, categorizes what they offer as a product. One barcode. That is - NFL football.

In reality, they have 32 distinct and highly individualized barcodes; ‘32 products’. What they assume is by moving from Charlotte to Denver, I will now become a Broncos fan and everyone is happy as I will still enjoy NFL football.

The issue however is that type of casual person /customer in this type of business is 1. rare and 2. sure as poo isn’t paying any money to casually watch a sport.

So you alienate the die hard, dedicated fan, who lives out of area. Yet this is the fan willing to pay money, even a premium, being a said die hard fan with no options. But, only for their team, for their product…BECAUSE they’re a die hard fan.

THIS is their prime demographic with money to give when it comes to streaming, not some casual fan of the sport, and they’re too god damn stupid to figure that out. 

Edited by onmyown
  • Pie 3
  • Beer 3

31 minutes ago, thefuzz said:

If you make the most money (most game purchases) then you deserve the most revenue from the league.

Would force teams to try to get more fans, build better teams, and have better outreach and marketing.

I like competition, even at the owner level.

My point is that Dallas and Pitt games are almost always televised. All I know is with fantasy a bunch of games that have low viewership could become much more profitable. It's just that 70 year old Boomers think they have something very special and they don't. It's why viewership is down. 

10 hours ago, amcoolio said:

Nope, I live in the Charlotte market and have to pay CBS to get the panthers game if it’s on CBS. 

Assuming you are a cord cutter.

If you have an antenna, you should be getting  CBS for free

if this isn’t the case, then why are you paying for a local broadcast channel?

8 hours ago, Wes21 said:

I have Cox Cable and they allow for viewing live TV thru their APP.  However, you can't watch every channel that you have in live format.  So if I want to watch a college football game on ABC, I can't just log into my Cox APP and see it.  I have to go to the ABC APP and use my Cox Cable login credentials and watch it on ABC's APP.  If that is the ONLY thing I want to watch its a minor inconvenience.  But if I want to channel hop to another college game on NBC, I then have to get out of the ABC APP and pull up the NBC APP.

This isn’t an issue with the cable company.  This is related to the contract limitations that the broadcasters have with the cable,providers.

yes, it stinks to have to log out of one app to switch to another, but it’s different backend services controlling streaming access (ABC vs NBC) and those two parties don’t want to communicate with each other.    

Eventually they will and we will be back to purchasing “streaming channel packages” similar to cable packages of yesteryear.

Sunday Ticket was basically free this year, was considerably more reasonable these past few years. But as somebody who’s paid for DTV just for Sunday ticket since 2004, shits is not as ridiculous as it was.. it was $320/year for the NFL package, still paid for the monthly fee, not disclosing that. Was worth it to me, I put up dishes at Mom’s & my brother’s houses & gave them receivers, took care of Family…

fuggin crazy expensive, but it’s all in what makes you happy. I enjoyed my time home, raising my kids to watch the games with me, its made me smile, monies week spent…

looking forward to not paying DTV anymore, while you’re bullshittin…

8 hours ago, onmyown said:

A big issue is the NFL, and by that I mean out of touch honchos who have never watched a sport in their life, categorizes what they offer as a product. One barcode. That is - NFL football.

In reality, they have 32 distinct and highly individualized barcodes; ‘32 products’. What they assume is by moving from Charlotte to Denver, I will now become a Broncos fan and everyone is happy as I will still enjoy NFL football.

The issue however is that type of casual person /customer in this type of business is 1. rare and 2. sure as poo isn’t paying any money to casually watch a sport.

So you alienate the die hard, dedicated fan, who lives out of area. Yet this is the fan willing to pay money, even a premium, being a said die hard fan with no options. But, only for their team, for their product…BECAUSE they’re a die hard fan.

THIS is their prime demographic with money to give when it comes to streaming, not some casual fan of the sport, and they’re too god damn stupid to figure that out. 

I live in VA Beach, 60min drive & I can get Panthers games on local TV…  at least until Ratt Mhule era it was worth the $$$…

5 hours ago, kungfoodude said:

Don't be surprised if it is pretty cheap on Amazon.

Have said for years that the number one product Amazon sells is "convenience".

They make it easy to purchase stuff and have it delivered relatively quickly.
They make it easy to spin up web services for various businesses
etc.

Amazon will make it easy to access, no matter what device you have.   YouTube should be the same, theoretically, but there's some backlash against those darn interstitial commercials and Google user tracking.   Sure, Amazon has some similar qualities, but consumers tend to be more "trusting" of Amazon with their data vs Google.

Source: https://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20190304005148/en/Consumers-Trust-Amazon-Is-Using-Their-Data-Responsibly-Beating-Out-Apple-Google-Banks-According-to-New-SmarterHQ-Survey

(disclaimer: there are newer surveys that place google and amazon equally on the trust scale. Yes, I'm ignoring those studies)

• Beer 2

24 minutes ago, PanthersATL said:

Have said for years that the number one product Amazon sells is "convenience".

They make it easy to purchase stuff and have it delivered relatively quickly.
They make it easy to spin up web services for various businesses
etc.

Amazon will make it easy to access, no matter what device you have.   YouTube should be the same, theoretically, but there's some backlash against those darn interstitial commercials and Google user tracking.   Sure, Amazon has some similar qualities, but consumers tend to be more "trusting" of Amazon with their data vs Google.

Source: https://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20190304005148/en/Consumers-Trust-Amazon-Is-Using-Their-Data-Responsibly-Beating-Out-Apple-Google-Banks-According-to-New-SmarterHQ-Survey

(disclaimer: there are newer surveys that place google and amazon equally on the trust scale. Yes, I'm ignoring those studies)

I think Amazon cares less about making a ton of money on the NFL subscription ans more about making Amazon a one stop shop. That is why they spend so much stupid money on their streaming service.

Google hasn't made their streaming services either cheaper than the competition nor really better. And they seem to be extremely nefarious in comparison(Meta level or worse).

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1