• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Mike Kaye, Observer comment on Wilks support

raleigh-panther

All Wilks has done is return the Panthers to Ron Rivera era competency, which is in my opinion the absolute bare minimum amount of acceptability to be an NFL head coach. Wilks isn’t an unqualified embarrassment like Matt Rhule. And the fact that Wilks has accomplished what he has with a limited roster and remnants of Rhule’s coaching staff is the biggest reason to support him.

But I don’t support merely going back to Ron Rivera era football. The QB situation is a mess and there’s not a prospect like Cam Newton that can come in and run a read-option offense right away. The team needs a QB developer at head coach. Shane Steichen is at the top of my list. Frank Reich definitely needs to get an interview. 

I wouldn’t completely count Wilks out, but I think we’re selling ourselves short by keeping him as well. 

• Pie 3

17 minutes ago, Rex Trotter said:

Wilks deserve a shot at HC with his own staff and an off season that will help him build the team how he wants it. A 2 year deal is fine and gives Wilks plenty of time to build the team how he wants it and we can move on if it don't work out.

He only deserves it if he is better than the compitition and there are better options out there.

This isn't about fair because that is a simplified concept for children before they learn how complicated reality really is. He should have earned the right to a new job next year and that is a massive upgrade for him over last year.

• Pie 1

54 minutes ago, joemac said:

Im still not sold on Wilks.  Like the guy, and the players seem to want to go to war for him, however I am not convinced that there isnt a better, more innovative candidate out there.  Regardless, the first thing that needs to happen is Ben McAdoo needs to be shitcanned the second the last game of the season is over.  We have some of the worst, most uninspired playcalls in the entire NFL.  Ben McAdoo is a chump.

There are quite a few who believe that giving Wilks a quality QB an imaginative OC. And he can win.

We are still young. But we are building a culture under Wilks. I would hate for that to crumble if the next coach can't/won't build upon it.

We are closer than a lot of ppl will let on. That next coach, whether it be Wilks or not, needs to be able to hit the ground running. Not wasting a year or more starting over.

Wilks is a leader and has some good points but the Panthers management may want a fresh start, and retaining him  might feel like treading water.

Personally, I want an offensive minded coach that plays a more wide open game than Rivera and Wilkes bring to the table.

Some fresh young minds like Steve Steichen Eagles OC and Mike Kafka Giants OC would certainly fit that bill if they are available.

23 minutes ago, TheMaulClaw said:

Rhule got himself fired.  

His actions made him absolutely firable but Wilks was open about how bad it was and helped to oust Rhule by having an option to replace him. 

Wilks was very critical of Snow which was who proped up Rhule and then fired Snow first thing with Tepper's blessing.

Anyway you cut it Wilks was part of the internal friction during that process. Not saying he was wrong at all just something to be mindful of if they try to make Wilks part of the new HC's hiring requirements.

25 minutes ago, Waldo said:

His actions made him absolutely firable but Wilks was open about how bad it was and helped to oust Rhule by having an option to replace him. 

Wilks was very critical of Snow which was who proped up Rhule and then fired Snow first thing with Tepper's blessing.

Anyway you cut it Wilks was part of the internal friction during that process. Not saying he was wrong at all just something to be mindful of if they try to make Wilks part of the new HC's hiring requirements.

Helping get Rhule fired should be considered a badge of honor.

• Beer 1
  • The D 1
  • Flames 1

5 minutes ago, Paa Langfart said:

Don't remember who said it on here but Wilks is the poor man's Ron Rivera.  No thanks.

See, I don't get this. IMO counting Zona against him is a little unfair. He was set up to fail. They wanted Kingsbury.

So all we really have to go on is what he's done here. And to make any definitive statements now seems a tad disingenuous. 

He has a team with limitations. Maybe he is coaching that way to mitigate mistakes?

There is a possibility that given a well-rounded team, with a competent OC, that he may coach in a different manner.

If he is here next year. I hope he is given a QB, and a competent OC. IMO, that would be a team to reckon with.

17 minutes ago, glenwo2 said:

Not really.

Rhule basically STOLE Tepper's money as Head Coach.

I'm sure Tepper isn't shedding any tears right now.

No new boss of his will care about what Rhule stole here. If Tepper does have any tears he can wipe them away with all the money us fans throw at him.

Will they care about him helping to oust and then replace their last boss? Maybe and then again maybe not. I was just raising the possibility as I am not thrilled with the idea of making Wilks as DC part of the package for the new HC, especially if it is a 1st time HC and we want to get away from Ron ball. 

Edited by Waldo
  • Pie 1