• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Is Mcadoo developing Darnold??

WOW!!

43 minutes ago, frankw said:

Honestly Teddy Bridgewater probably got as much if not more vitriol here than Darnold so the melodrama about that is unnecessary anyway.

I still remember when threads were saying Teddy didn't care about winning and that he wasn't passionate about the game. Then, he goes and puts his body on the line to fight for a late-game running first down. He was absolutely crushed in the process.

Teddy was alright and I'm not one that believes it's a requirement to have an elite QB. If you're franchise is banking on that above all else, you're going to have a shitty team more than you're going to have an above average season.

• Beer 1

19 minutes ago, Catsfan69 said:

@ForJimmy

Here's 3 more elite throws cherry picked

Those are good throws in the NFL, but I don't see anything "elite?"  Honestly the first two were toss up where his WR made a nice catch.  Again I'm not down on him for it, it's what QBs do a lot at this level.  Toss it up and let your playmaker make a play.

Honestly I think we have just seen such shitty QB play that this looks great to us.  I'm the most impressed with Sam being able to throw the ball away and play mistake free football over these throws to be honest.  If he can keep it TOs low like he is doing he shouldn't have trouble as a bridge or backup QB in the league.  

I just don't want us rolling into next year banking on Sam's brain being ready to take the next leap in development.  The style of football we are playing is a good way to hide a QB that isn't ready to read a full defense yet.  As someone already mentioned it's perfect for a rookie to get comfortable and it's similar to what the Bears are running with Fields who still is pretty raw as a passer when it comes to reading a defense.  

-on a side note are all three of these catches by TMJ?  He has some real potential.  We need to start throwing his way more these next couple games.

Edited by ForJimmy
  • Pie 5

17 minutes ago, Catsfan69 said:

@ForJimmy

Here's 3 more elite throws cherry picked

That throw against the Bengals was definitely sick, but Darnold didn't play in that game lol

but in all seriousness none of those were "Elite" throws.  Darnold's two were fine. We could clip just as many throws off target or short.  Neither of these things means Darnold is bad or has a bad arm. 

• Pie 1

11 minutes ago, mav1234 said:

That throw against the Bengals was definitely sick, but Darnold didn't play in that game lol

but in all seriousness none of those were "Elite" throws.  Darnold's two were fine. We could clip just as many throws off target or short.  Neither of these things means Darnold is bad or has a bad arm. 

The one against Seattle inside 3 defenders converging from different directions was sick!

29 minutes ago, mav1234 said:

Wait wait wait...  He posted 3 "cherry picked" elite throws for Sam Darnold and 1 of the 3 wasn't even Sam throwing?!?  I didn't even catch that!  😂  You can't make this poo up!

Edited by ForJimmy
  • Pie 2

1 hour ago, ForJimmy said:

Wait wait wait...  He posted 3 "cherry picked" elite throws for Sam Darnold and 1 of the 3 wasn't even Sam throwing?!?  I didn't even catch that!  😂  You can't make this poo up!

Lol I posted it at a stoplight. You would think the dumbass Panthers would keep it consistent. 

• Pie 2

No one disputes Darnold's ability to make elite throws. No one disputes Darnold's talent. It's just that bad things happen when he gets pressured and/or has to go through his progression. He panics. You can't fix panic. It's instinctual.

Any game where we can't dominate defensively and through the running game is a game we're likely to lose. You gotta win by asking Sam not to have to win the game. What he's done this year is proven that he can be a high level backup. He has salvaged his NFL career in that regard and that's not nothing.

• Pie 3

Honestly, given his career to date, if Darnold salvages himself to being a high-end, long-term backup, it'll be a massive improvement from how he looked in his first few seasons.  His rookie season had a lot of promise but boy did he take steps back the next three.  This extended action is raising hopes, but we have to be realistic with his past, and just be happy with how he is playing smart and safe.

• Pie 1

5 hours ago, ForJimmy said:

Those are good throws in the NFL, but I don't see anything "elite?"  Honestly the first two were toss up where his WR made a nice catch.  Again I'm not down on him for it, it's what QBs do a lot at this level.  Toss it up and let your playmaker make a play.

Honestly I think we have just seen such shitty QB play that this looks great to us.  I'm the most impressed with Sam being able to throw the ball away and play mistake free football over these throws to be honest.  If he can keep it TOs low like he is doing he shouldn't have trouble as a bridge or backup QB in the league.  

I just don't want us rolling into next year banking on Sam's brain being ready to take the next leap in development.  The style of football we are playing is a good way to hide a QB that isn't ready to read a full defense yet.  As someone already mentioned it's perfect for a rookie to get comfortable and it's similar to what the Bears are running with Fields who still is pretty raw as a passer when it comes to reading a defense.  

-on a side note are all three of these catches by TMJ?  He has some real potential.  We need to start throwing his way more these next couple games.

Meme Reaction GIF by Robert E Blackmon

Because this was Sam's problem.   Not just here and not just with the Jets but in College as well.

If he has finally found a way to take better care of the football which, so far he's done, THAT is progress and ACTUAL "DEVELOPMENT" which is way more development than he's gotten since coming into the league. 

Whether that development continues further will be entirely up to him.

It also helps tremendously that he finally has an O-Line that doesn't allow sacks up the middle anymore (Bozeman has been a revelation) which gives him time to be set and throw (and be comfortable in the pocket for the first time in a million years). 

All that said, hopefully the Run game is there this sunday so he won't be asked to try and win the game for the Panthers.  

• Beer 1

3 hours ago, LinvilleGorge said:

No one disputes Darnold's ability to make elite throws. No one disputes Darnold's talent. It's just that bad things happen when he gets pressured and/or has to go through his progression. He panics. You can't fix panic. It's instinctual.

Any game where we can't dominate defensively and through the running game is a game we're likely to lose. You gotta win by asking Sam not to have to win the game. What he's done this year is proven that he can be a high level backup. He has salvaged his NFL career in that regard and that's not nothing.

Exactly. 

Coming into the final year of his contract here (another stupid decision by Fitt to pick up his option then), I thought he was going to wash out of the league like a Jamarcus Russell or Ryan Leaf entirely after he was done here as a Panther.

Now he's actually provided a blueprint for other teams to see that he CAN be actually USEFUL as a backup in the league which is huge for his career.   I think in that respect, Ben McAdoo saved Sam's future in the league and he(Sam) won't have to give up the game of football after all.

Edited by glenwo2