• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Jason LaCanfora: Panthers potential landing spot for Raiders QB Derek Carr

TheSpecialJuan

3 hours ago, CPcavedweller said:

Because we ran...for 320 yards...and have the 4th best rushing offense in the league since Christian left...

We aren't limiting his use. We are maximizing our running game and offensive line and there are a fixed number of snaps per game.

You're reading the situation wrong, as is typical here.

I can't help that through four games you can't see the obvious. Notice that when our running game was shut down, so was he.

I get it, some people just don't understand football or what they are watching. It's just profoundly strange that after 5 years some people still are high AF on hopium.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

3 hours ago, TheMaulClaw said:

I'm not stating that Darnold is our future at QB in the least.  The topic is about trading for Derek Carr.  When comparing Sam Darnold against Derek Carr I really don't see why it wouldn't be a better option to sign Sam to a bridge deal instead of overpaying for at best a slight increase in production with Carr.

Well those are two wildly different things. Carr is an actual NFL starting caliber QB so there would be a major price increase. Darnold is probably looking at something along the $4-6 mil/year lines, if he is very lucky. 

Carr is capable of winning in the NFL, Darnold is not. He needs a perfect scenario around him and to be limited dramatically. That isn't going to change.

Now, would I pay the likely FA tag on Carr? Eh.....depends. If we can draft a guy that the FOOTBALL people in the organization believe in, that is probably the best route. If that isn't an option, Carr is probably easily the best case scenario for a team like ours.

But, I highly doubt he would want anything to do with a franchise like ours unless we are willing to pay above market value.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

34 minutes ago, kungfoodude said:

I can't help that through four games you can't see the obvious. Notice that when our running game was shut down, so was he.

I get it, some people just don't understand football or what they are watching. It's just profoundly strange that after 5 years some people still are high AF on hopium.

His performance vs PIT was actually pretty similar to vs DEN and vs DET (his game vs SEA he was efficient but had a very low YPA).  My take (basically the same, but...) is that it's less he was shut down and more that even when he does execute at his version of a high level, it isn't enough without significant run game support.

IMO from the below total passing yards, total TDs, and y/a, it is impossible to pick out the loss:

120 yards, 1 td, 5 y/a
225 yards, 1 TD, 9.78 y/a
164 yards, 1 TD, 8.63 y/a
250 yards, 1 TD, 11.36 y/a

Edited by mav1234

so the only reason I go with Darnold over Carr is I think Carr's contract (even a new one with him signed as FA) would limit our overall roster building and whatever vet we bring in/back is a bridge option to a rookie developing. Carr is the kind of QB that immediately elevates this team, and actually quite a bit. We probably win 10+ games with Carr. But I'm not sure he wins us a Superbowl at this point in his career and with this roster. I think we are close, but not quite that close.... Unless he somehow brings Davante Adams with him, haha.

Edited by mav1234

This is what happens when the bar drops so low. The Panthers idea of winning at this point is making the playoffs. The Super Bowl isn't something they're interested in. A team that can compete every year isn't what they're interested in.

The Panthers are basically the pre-Lamelo Hornets.

• Beer 1

1 hour ago, glenwo2 said:

Oh I understand what it means but I prefer "beating the s--t" out of someone.  lol

Our southern manors demand a gentleman come up with creative ways of expressing the same sentiment without using vulgarity good sir. Remember, there are women and children among us.

16 minutes ago, Krovvy said:

This is what happens when the bar drops so low. The Panthers idea of winning at this point is making the playoffs. The Super Bowl isn't something they're interested in. A team that can compete every year isn't what they're interested in.

The Panthers are basically the pre-Lamelo Hornets.

Most of us would love a Superbowl, but also recognize the importance of the playoffs in building a team.  Over the last 20 years only 2 teams have won the Superbowl without being in the playoffs in the last three years: The Bucs and the Eagles. Large portions of the Bucs roster had significant playoff experience in those last three years (especially Brady and Gronk), and the Eagles were in four years before and had a stacked roster.

52 minutes ago, Jon Snow said:

Our southern manors demand a gentleman come up with creative ways of expressing the same sentiment without using vulgarity good sir. Remember, there are women and children among us.

How about "Beat the pants off of them"?  

Or is that too risque?