• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Wilks Set This Team Back

7 hours ago, WUnderhill said:

I thought firing Rhule was the right move. The way the team looked, I didn’t think they had a hope in the world for generating offense without McCaffrey. I did think we should have traded both McC and Burns for the tank, but tbh I thought trading McC would be enough to get us the #1 or #2 pick. With as low as my opinion was of him, I didn’t think it was possible to underestimate just how much Rhule was holding this team back. Boy was I wrong.

Of course it was the right move.My pt was we were not trying to tank.

18 hours ago, glenwo2 said:

People like to mock Herman Edwards speech but ignore its actual TRUTH.

NFL Players don't just play a game and if they lose, oh well....

....they play TO WIN IT.

That's what the Pro-Tank crowd never understands (or refuses to).

the problem is that some team cultures just accept losing. that was the panthers culture when cam came into town. losing was just ok...no big deal. and that's what had become the case while rhule was here with those who bought into what rhule was doing, but there was apparently some holdover from the pre-rhule era, like shaq, who never gave that up. that puts his comments from a week or so back in context. wilks, in very short time, changed the culture from a care-free/hunger-free one to one that cares and is hungry again. he pretty much reset the clock. 

whatever direction we go next year, this team should be hungry next year and ready to fight. the damage done by rhule to the culture has been fixed. 

i'd be happy with a hire like harbaugh or maybe some offensive guru type because i think they could take us to the next level, but i also wouldn't be upset if wilks was given the job. i think this team with wilks would keep pushing forward and with him we would be a legit playoff team. we would have been this year if he started earlier. 

• Pie 1
  • Beer 3
  • Flames 2

5 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

As far as the people closest to the situation...

The players definitely want Wilks. They may not get what they want, and maybe they shouldn't, but nobody can doubt they would follow him.

Cool, I hope they don't get what they want but I do get wanting the boss you like after having Rhule pulling his BS. 

Would Harbaugh be a good fit going from the guy the players want to him? Just asking. He seems to have a strong personality but I can't remember the players in SF being part of his issues there. 

• Pie 1

21 minutes ago, Waldo said:

Cool, I hope they don't get what they want but I do get wanting the boss you like after having Rhule pulling his BS. 

Would Harbaugh be a good fit going from the guy the players want to him? Just asking. He seems to have a strong personality but I can't remember the players in SF being part of his issues there. 

By year four, a lot of players hated Harbaugh. There was a lot of roster turnover too.

• Pie 2
  • Beer 1

On 1/2/2023 at 12:03 PM, Move the Panthers to Raleigh said:

As this season wraps up, I can't really think of a worse scenario than how it played out. They missed the playoffs, moved out of the top-5 draft, are in danger of keeping a mediocre coaching staff, the CMC draft picks will be nearly as late as possible, the Rams draft picks that could have been acquired will probably be really early picks, our top-8 CB looks to be made of glass. Thanks, Wilks.

I am hoping that Tepper is not gun-shy on trying out new HC candidates because of Rhule. Playing it safe is not the direction this team needs, and it will keep this team at or below .500 if Wilks stays. It was clear as day yesterday that Wilks is not the calculated risk-taker that this team needs. We could all see that aggressiveness was needed when you are outmatched in a certain area, and you have to take advantage of any opportunity that is presented. Wilks and his staff can't see that, and I don't want to see any more of their brand of all-talk-no-walk, chickenshit football.

Wilkes did what he could to make this team the best it could be. He came within a couple of plays of having the Panthers winning the division. A terrible call on a player for taking off his helmet, one stop by a cornerback against Tampa and this is a different conversation. Wilkes is doing what any of us would have done, trying to save his job or have a worthwhile resume for his next landing place. If Fitterer (or whoever the GM is) does their job as well as Wilkes has this team will be in a much better place to start next season than we were this season. 

the