• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Disappointing player of the year award?

WarPanthers89

1 hour ago, 1of10Charnatives said:

overall agree but i'd question the notion Matt Rhule showed potential to be really good at the NFL level. IMO there is more evidence that ra ra college coaches fail in the NFL than succeed.

💯 agree. I was actually pointing out Rhule was the obvious AND primary reason these players have underachieved so far. 

• Beer 2

You know Baker didn’t come to mind at all for me lol. Either my mind is trying to protect me from the memories, or he is such an obvious answer that my mind wanted to think of other players. 

Chinn is up there but he got hurt and is being used incorrectly. So I give him a pass. 

To me, it’s two guys that share it. Two guys we needed to take a leap and step up, and if they did, the defense would have been on another level. 

YGM (the size of Cam but invisible). Dude plays patty cake out there.

Henderson (every physical gift athletically, but poor decision making and lack of effort). Camp MVP. Remember those days?

• Beer 1

2 hours ago, NorthTryon said:

Yeah, but when you have competent LBs and want to get the guy on the field what are you supposed to do? I mean he has trouble covering every receiving options from RBs, TEs, and WRs. I mean a coach can't be penalized for not switching him to OLB and blitzing every play. At this point it seems he literally would be regulated to a two down weakside OLB in a 4-3 defense.

I feel like they should just play him, shaq, and luvu as the lbs depending on the formation.   He could be a three down lb I think.   He would be much better matched up as a lb in coverage vs te/rb than at safety covering deep routes against receivers.  Hes already being asked to cover more than he can right now.  I dont see how moving him to lb would make that worse than basically a coverage safety.

• Pie 1

3 hours ago, YourLastThought said:

How is 12.5 sacks on a rookie deal salary a top disappointment? Is he Julius Peppers level HOF career so far? No not at all but some people act like he is the world's worst player ever and that could not be further from the truth. The guy is good and can play. Would I pay him the highest salary for his position in the league? Nope, but the dude definitely deserves higher than a rookie salary when he comes up. Will he take a deal that is good but not the best in the NFL when his time comes? Who knows but I hope so and am happy to take that gamble that we keep versus lose him. He is getting better every year. Next season o fully expect even more sacks and more improvement. He is not a Nick Bosa but he damn sure is not a disappointment.

There's a decent sect of Panther fans who hate good players

• Beer 2

39 minutes ago, Carl Spackler said:

There's a decent sect of Panther fans who hate good players

I don't get why that is? It just does not make sense to me but appears to be that way. Maybe it is because the "good" players they hate are not "great" players? They are just good enough to be a good solid player the organization can count on for years to be productive but they will never quite be a hall of fame player perhaps? If that is the mind set I would have to say being a good player is so much easier than a hall of fame legend and those are far and few between. Teams full of good solid reliable players win super bowls every year. Most of those teams are not filled with hall of famers throughout the roster. Its just weird to me to not like good players. They are the the ones you want to be the core of your whole damn team I would think?

Just now, YourLastThought said:

I don't get why that is? It just does not make sense to me but appears to be that way. Maybe it is because the "good" players they hate are not "great" players? They are just good enough to be a good solid player the organization can count on for years to be productive but they will never quite be a hall of fame player perhaps? If that is the mind set I would have to say being a good player is so much easier than a hall of fame legend and those are far and few between. Teams full of good solid reliable players win super bowls every year. Most of those teams are not filled with hall of famers throughout the roster. Its just weird to me to not like good players. They are the the ones you want to be the core of your whole damn team I would think?

That's absolutely it. If a player is one of the best at his position, he's regarded as an overrated rotational piece unless he becomes the best player at his position. Then, you GOTTA trade him, because there's a chance you could give him up and get someone just as good in return. Bonus points are awarded if you can compare said player to a former Panther whose physical makeup, statistics, career tenure and playing time are in no way comparable. 

We're one drop from DJ Moore being Dwayne Jarrett or Ryne Robinson.

On occasion, you'll also get a guy who struggles as rookie/second-year player, but he puts together a really solid second/third season and completely skips the "good player but needs to be traded" tier and becomes "untouchable," even when his performance is, at best, on par with the players who must be shipped out for lottery tickets.

3 hours ago, Tr3ach said:

I feel like they should just play him, shaq, and luvu as the lbs depending on the formation.   He could be a three down lb I think.   He would be much better matched up as a lb in coverage vs te/rb than at safety covering deep routes against receivers.  Hes already being asked to cover more than he can right now.  I dont see how moving him to lb would make that worse than basically a coverage safety.

I wouldn't be opposed to that as he couldn't be worse than Littleton, but Brandon Smith was coming along too. Yeah, if he added 15 to 20lbs he'd weigh as much as Luke and TD. 

• Pie 1