• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Sam Darnold

panthertime

5 minutes ago, 45catfan said:

Who? Btw QBR came along from ESPN many years after passer rating was the main metric for decades. Sam Darnold had a game so bad he's neck and neck with a QB from the 1980's for one of the bottom ten passing performances ever.

1 minute ago, frankw said:

Who? Btw QBR came along from ESPN many years after passer rating was the main metric for decades. Sam Darnold had a game so bad he's neck and neck with a QB from the 1980's for one of the bottom ten passing performances ever.

None other than Anthony Richardson, against a mediocre Kentucky team.  The guy a lot of people are drooling over.  FYI, that wasn't his only stinker of a game either, just his worst.  This is not to defend Sam, but if people are going to drag one QB for a bad game (and it was) then I think it is silly to idolize a kid who is raw as heck and can completely shat the bed in some games too.

• Pie 1

Just now, 45catfan said:

None other than Anthony Richardson, against a mediocre Kentucky team.  The guy a lot of people are drooling over.  FYI, that wasn't his only stinker of a game either, just his worst.  This is not to defend Sam, but if people are going to drag one QB for a bad game (and it was) then I think it is silly to idolize a kid who is raw as heck and can completely shat the bed in some games too.

who do you have as better-ar or revis?

4 minutes ago, 45catfan said:

Well lucky for us Anthony Richardson isn't the only QB who declared for the 2023 NFL draft huh?

And I'm just saying but it's pretty damn disingenuous to compare a guy who has yet to even set foot on an NFL field to one who will be entering his 6th season in the league looking like trash.

Edited by frankw
  • Pie 2

2 minutes ago, frankw said:

Well lucky for us Anthony Richardson isn't the only QB who declared for the 2023 NFL draft huh?

I mean, Levis may still be on the board.  People are smoking something if they think Young or Stroud will be there at #9.  And no, they aren't worth the trade haul to move up into the top 3 picks.

• Pie 2

4 minutes ago, 45catfan said:

Yeah one is a raw QB that our staff could hopefully develop into a system that fits his strengths with a ceiling that is off the charts. The other is a 5th year NFL starter who is on his second team and shown he struggles reading defenses and struggles under pressure. If Sam was a rookie playing with his inconsistencies I wouldn’t be that concerned. A 5th year player playing like this is an issue.

• Pie 1

5 minutes ago, Basbear said:

who do you have as better-ar or Levis?

Stroud and Young.  Both will be gone by pick 5.  Neither are good enough to mortgage a move up though.  Put Young into AR's body... I'd make that move.  However, Young is way too small and Stroud is not generational.

3 minutes ago, 45catfan said:

I mean, Levis may still be on the board.  People are smoking something if they think Young or Stroud will be there at #9.  And no, they aren't worth the trade haul to move up into the top 3 picks.

We may not think any of them are worth the trade up but the powers that be may have other plans. Whomever we draft that happens to be a QB I will accept it and support them until they give me a valid reason not to. All I ask for is a first round QB of our own that we drafted. I expect to very possibly swing and miss the first time I'm just gonna roll with it. We need to get a guy who can actually develop a QB too.

1 minute ago, ForJimmy said:

Yeah one is a raw QB that our staff could hopefully develop into a system that fits his strengths with a ceiling that is off the charts. The other is a 5th year NFL starter who is on his second team and shown he struggles reading defenses and struggles under pressure. If Sam was a rookie playing with his inconsistencies I wouldn’t be that concerned. A 5th year player playing like this is an issue.

Could develop or he could keep his bad habits.  Sam still has his old bad college habits.  Who's to say that AR won't do the same?  And when has this organization ever developed a QB?  Cam was the closest, but he still maintained his bad mechanics from college.   Short of a former OC taking the HC job, it will be the same results with developing QBs as in the past---piss poor.

2 minutes ago, Carl Spackler said:

QBR and QB rating are two different things.

Clausen had a 62.9 rating in that game. Darnold's QBR was 0.0 today and his rating was 2.8.

Yes, two different things, but both stat lines are completely horrible.  One really, REALLY sucks and the other just really sucks.

1 hour ago, 45catfan said:

Could develop or he could keep his bad habits.  Sam still has his old bad college habits.  Who's to say that AR won't do the same?  And when has this organization ever developed a QB?  Cam was the closest, but he still maintained his bad mechanics from college.   Short of a former OC taking the HC job, it will be the same results with developing QBs as in the past---piss poor.

Developing a player is up to the staff we put around him. We are going to have a different group than we have had in the past. If it works out great! If not we just try to draft one again. It’s not like the old days when they had huge contracts tied to these rookies.

• Beer 1

3 hours ago, frankw said:

We heard this in training camp 2021. He stinks it is what it is.

Probably, but he turns 25 in a few weeks.  He showed improvement, just not enough to give him a second contract for a starting QB.

I think, in the right situation, he could be adequate to decent.

But I was not saying Sam is good--I was saying that TODAY his WRs were not getting open.