• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

If you were an Anti-Tanker... please identify yourself, are you proud?

TheBigKat

It's a bit ironic because it was you, @TheBigKat, posting photos of you and your sons traveling to away games, that personally felt like one of the most compelling and inspiring arguments against tanking.  Seeing your kids smiling and hyped up to cheer on their favorite team made me think about things from a kid's perspective back when things were simple and pure.  But now all I'll be able to picture is you shushing them at games when we score touchdowns like "Don't you understand?!?! Our draft positioning is going to suffer now!!".  Smh.

• Pie 3
  • Beer 3

11 minutes ago, mrcompletely11 said:

as evidenced by 22 wins in 4 years, if they cannot see how this franchise needs to be totally rebuilt then thats on them

the proof is in the pudding as they say

Totally rebuilt yes but to just sit there and tank multiple seasons to rebuild is not realistic. Too many jobs and careers on the line to expect anyone to actually go along with this mentality. Look at this season. After three games we had people screaming to tank. No player or coach in their right mind will EVER tank and sacrifice their own money, career and livelihood all to get a higher draft pick. The whole tank philosophy is flawed thinking from the ground up. Though it would be great to have the number 1 pick, if we dont lose enough to get it with the players going as hard as they can to save their own asses, it just is not in the cards that season.

• Pie 1

Just now, MasterAwesome said:

It's a bit ironic because it was you, @TheBigKat, posting photos of you and your sons traveling to away games, that personally felt like one of the most compelling and inspiring arguments against tanking.  Seeing your kids smiling and hyped up to cheer on their favorite team made me think about things from a kid's perspective back when things were simple and pure.  But now all I'll be able to picture is you shushing them at games when we score touchdowns like "Don't you understand?!?! Our draft positioning is going to suffer now!!".  Smh.

He probably just wants to see a winning football team

Just now, YourLastThought said:

Totally rebuilt yes but to just sit there and tank multiple seasons to rebuild is not realistic. Too many jobs and careers on the line to expect anyone to actually go along with this mentality. Look at this season. After three games we had people screaming to tank. No player or coach in their right mind will EVER tank and sacrifice their own money, career and livelihood all to get a higher draft pick. The whole tank philosophy is flawed thinking from the ground up. Though it would be great to have the number 1 pick, if we dont lose enough to get it with the players going as hard as they can to save their own asses, it just is not in the cards that season.

we havent tanked multiple seasons, we have thrown just enough poo on the wall to perpetually suck with no clear plan

1 minute ago, mrcompletely11 said:

He probably just wants to see a winning football team

Thank you for explaining tanking to me.  I'm clearly talking about things from the perspective of the kids, unless you're advocating putting the fathers' self-interests over those of young kids who have little to no concept of tanking for draft position and just want to cheer on their team in the moment.

• Pie 3

5 minutes ago, mrcompletely11 said:

we havent tanked multiple seasons, we have thrown just enough poo on the wall to perpetually suck with no clear plan

rebuilt the secondary, rebuilt the OL, rebuilt the WR corps, close to having a completed DL rebuild, while bringing a ton of QBs trying to find one to hold the fort until the next franchise QB is found

the plan looks pretty clear to me. we have a core of solid, young players, and are just a few pieces away from being a consistent contender. just because you can’t see it, doesn’t mean it doesn’t exist.

• Pie 3
  • Beer 4

11 minutes ago, mrcompletely11 said:

No we haven't I agree and we wont be tanking as was obvious this season and in my opinion that's a good thing. It is not like a great team cannot be built without a tank season. We just haven't built a great team yet or capitalized when we had what was almost a potential great team like 2015. We do have to shake something up though as what we have been doing has not been working well with consistency but we are building a solid core.

Edited by YourLastThought
  • Pie 1

11 hours ago, TheBigKat said:

Look at how a long time franchise and mature fan base embrace the L

Crazy how having that franchise QB didn't do much for their season.

Though I've seen folks claim that a franchise QB wasn't worth it if they didn't win a Super Bowl, this is the first time I've seen it implied that a franchise QB was successful because their team got the #1 pick.

Edited by Icege
  • Pie 1

21 minutes ago, Icege said:

Crazy how having that franchise QB didn't do much for their season.

Though I've seen folks claim that a franchise QB wasn't worth it if they didn't win a Super Bowl, this is the first time I've seen it implied that a franchise QB was successful because their team got the #1 pick.

You're not looking big-picture enough man...they tanked enough to get their franchise QB, now they just need to tank the next 5 seasons to get their franchise LT, franchise WR1, franchise CB, franchise DE, and franchise DT and then the wins will start coming.

• Pie 5
  • Beer 2

I think both sides have a valid opinion.  Ultimately, just be your own fan however you like.  Too many damn people trying to force their opinions on other people.  

One question for anti-tankers.  How do you feel about the McCaffrey trade?  We walked one of the NFL's best weapons out the door for "draft picks".  What could that trade have been other than the owner/GM clearly stating "We prefer our future over our present"?  I'd say the tankers saw every game we lost as a similar opportunity.

I do think Tepper expected the team spiral.  Not through something as obvious as asking Wilkes or the players to quit.  He saw a dumpster fire of a team and tossed a little fuel on.  A mid-season coaching change and walking your best player out the door should have been enough put the tank on without needing to ask anyone.

The backfire was we were actually capable of doing the only thing Wilkes could do, RUN THE BALL.  Surprising to most everyone, we had the capability of road grading a few teams.  That successful running opened up the passing game a bit, the successful offense kept the defense fresh, all the sudden we had a glimpse of complimentary football.  When Pitt and Tampa stuffed our run game the house of cards was exposed.

Our pathetic division amplified the value of a few wins and suddenly Panthers football got quite interesting for a few weeks.  This was a happy accident though, I have no doubt that Tepper expected this team to fail into drafting a top prospect.  

11 minutes ago, MasterAwesome said:

You're not looking big-picture enough man...they tanked enough to get their franchise QB, now they just need to tank the next 5 seasons to get their franchise LT, franchise WR1, franchise CB, franchise DE, and franchise DT and then the wins will start coming.

Think About It GIF by Identity

• Pie 3

1 hour ago, mrcompletely11 said:

as evidenced by 22 wins in 4 years, if they cannot see how this franchise needs to be totally rebuilt then thats on them

the proof is in the pudding as they say

Then by all means you should personally go to each player and scream in their faces "How dare you win this game, you a-hole!!  You ruined our draft position!" 

I would be curious to see what their response would be.  lol. 

• Pie 2