• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Post your 2023 Off-season Predictions!

Zod

17 minutes ago, Carolina Cajun said:

Im not saying its what I would want, its what I think will happen.  Tepper is a lot of things, but tepper IS patient as seen by sticking with ron and Rhule a year longer than he should have, that tells me what he saw from Wilks will be the kind of stability that he's willing to roll with.  To add to that statement, remember he was open to the signing of Eric Reid who people had issues with because of his support for kaepernick, Im guessing he'd be in same boat in regards to supporting a minority candidate.

I think Darnold is a guy that will be viewed as a bridge and richardson will be our pick because he possesses all the traits needed to be an elite QB and I have a feeling that during the combine a few teams (us being one) will fall in love with him, and part of one being us will be because I think we hire Brian Johnson who has history with him.  

Macadoo fits with what I said about wilks and stability, With the instability lately, I think Tepper wants someone to just stop the bleeding and I do think Wilks has some faith in him atleast in some capacity.

Everything else seems like things that probably could happen.

Again, not exactly the direction I would go, its just the direction that I think we will go.

I sincerely hope you are wrong.

3 hours ago, ForJimmy said:

If you think we can't manipulate the cap enough to extend a center and sign a backup QB to a cheap one year deal, I really don't know what to tell you....  Burns "restructured" probably should have been extended (which can you backload if needed), but I think you are getting a little picky over a pretty calm logical post.  Your main concern was "with what money?"  which can easily be worked out.  Fitt already said he is interested in extending Bozeman which was the only possible pricey thing mentioned (depending on how you work the contract is might be relatively cheap this year as well).  

I’m not saying that, I’m saying we can’t manipulate the cap enough to keep Shaq, Resign Bozeman, Resign Darnold and Extend Brian Burns. Not “Some Center and Sam Darnold”. 

That “Center” has a market value of 15-17 million per season.

11 hours ago, grimesgoat said:
  • Wilks hired as HC.
  • Reich hired as OC.
  • Bozeman resigned.  Darnold given 1 year deal.
  • Burns extended.
  • DJ restructured. 
  • Shaq kept.
  • Levis drafted at 9.
  • TE and Edge in 2nd.
  • RB in 3rd.
  • LB and S in 4th.
  • OL in 5th.

I like, and could expect, everything here except QB at 9. We can get a good one later. 

• Pie 1

9 hours ago, Khyber53 said:

We're taking Michael Mayer from Notre Dame at #9.

We'll pick up a QB late in the draft after snagging a DE in second round and a nickelback in the 3rd.

We'll take Wilks as HC with Reich as OC. Holcomb stays at DC while we try to get Luke in as LB Coach or at least as a consultant.

We'll get Burns the extended, solid contract while renegotiating with Shaq and DJ Moore for better long term deals.

Bozeman will be re-signed for three years and will become a fixture of the team.

Moton may get restructured.

I think we move into the offseason with Corral as our QB of choice with Darnold on staff as the bridge. We may take a flyer on a FA QB or a trade if something shakes out. 

Too early for the ND TE at #9. I like this plan if can get him a little later. 

HC: Johnson or McDaniel

QB Room: Young, Corral, and another TBC (Keenum?)

Trades: Burns, Moore, and our 2024 1st to CHI for #1

Draft: Young and Johnston in the 1st, TE in the 2nd, BPA rest of draft

FA: Gesicki on the other side of the rookie TE, Foreman, Bozeman

I actually think Sam goes elsewhere for 1-2 years similar to Trubisky going to Buffalo...probably a West Coast team like Seattle, SF, or Arizona. He probably gets a few starts and looks good enough to convince another non-QB focused team like TEN to be the starter after they move on from Tannehill. He's probably a poor man's Tannehill anyway.

5 hours ago, Cdparr7 said:

I’m not saying that, I’m saying we can’t manipulate the cap enough to keep Shaq, Resign Bozeman, Resign Darnold and Extend Brian Burns. Not “Some Center and Sam Darnold”. 

That “Center” has a market value of 15-17 million per season.

10 to 12 mil

• Pie 1

7 hours ago, falconlynx said:

Too early for the ND TE at #9. I like this plan if can get him a little later. 

Nope. Take him there, don't eff around and miss him. We need a receiving TE more than just about anything else here. The lack of a good tight end has left the middle of the field to the defenders and is one of the main reasons DJ, TMJ and Laviska can rarely get open. We can't stress the seams enough. 

In the past, we could rely on CMC to do that work some, but those days are gone.

The only other potential spot I'd draft is DE at #9 but only if one of the two best somehow falls to us. 

• Beer 2

Retain Wilks as HC.

Get the best OC available.

Sign Darnold to a cheap two year contract.

Start Corral at QB if he's ready. If not start Darnold until he is.

QB's Corral, Darnold and  one that is drafted in 2nd or 3rd rd.

Take best player available at # 9 in the draft.

Restructure contracts to free up money.

Resign Bozeman, Foreman, Burns to team friendly contracts..

Resod  the football field with real grass

Win the NFC South Division with a 9-8 record.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

18 hours ago, Cdparr7 said:

“Bozeman resigned, Sam Resigned, Shaq Kept, Burns restructured”

Tell me you don’t know football without telling me you don’t know football.

We have about 1 million in cap space. League may go up 5 million this year to put us at 6. What exactly are you going to restructure with Shaq and DJ? How are you going to restructure Burns on his 5th year option? He is going to want market value around 20 million per year. Which puts us at -14 million. Bozeman’s market value is 15-17 million per year which puts us at -30 million. Need 10 for draft picks which puts us at -40 million. And Sam will be around 5 million per year which puts us at -45 million without signing anyone else.

Just to close the loop on this - Signing Bozeman for a 3 year, 36m contract may look something like this...

Salary Bonus Cap hit
1 4 5
11 4 15
12 4 16

He gets 12 million up front and his salary in year 1 is 1m.  He earns 13 million in year 1.  His bonus is spread over the term of the contract.  Salary in years 2 and 3 are unguaranteed, so he can be cut with significant cap savings if something goes wrong.  Dead cap hit in year 2 is 8m.  Dead cap hit in year 3 is 4m.

Burns is due to make 17m next year.  A restructure/extension could be 5/125 with a signing bonus of 30m.  It could look like this...

Salary Bonus Cap hit
2 6 8
22 6 28
22 6 28
24 6 30
25 6 31
95 30 125

Burns earns 32m in 2023 instead of 17m, but the cap hit goes from 17m to 8m.  We save 9m on 2023 cap.

58 minutes ago, KatsAzz said:

Retain Wilks as HC.

Get the best OC available.

Sign Darnold to a cheap two year contract.

Start Corral at QB if he's ready. If not start Darnold until he is.

QB's Corral, Darnold and  one that is drafted in 2nd or 3rd rd.

Take best player available at # 9 in the draft.

Restructure contracts to free up money.

Resign Bozeman, Foreman, Burns to team friendly contracts..

Resod  the football field with real grass

Win the NFC South Division with a 9-8 record.

Something, something....Mediocrity...Something... (just trying to do an impression of the usual suspects' replies to this.  Don't mind me)

• Pie 1

5 hours ago, Khyber53 said:

Nope. Take him there, don't eff around and miss him. We need a receiving TE more than just about anything else here. The lack of a good tight end has left the middle of the field to the defenders and is one of the main reasons DJ, TMJ and Laviska can rarely get open. We can't stress the seams enough. 

In the past, we could rely on CMC to do that work some, but those days are gone.

The only other potential spot I'd draft is DE at #9 but only if one of the two best somehow falls to us. 

No we dont...lol