• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Under No Circumstances Should We Trade a Haul for a QB/Pick

tukafan21

4 minutes ago, tukafan21 said:

Has anyone ever actually looked back on those trades? 

They NEVER work out for that team, if they occasionally did it wouldn't be a terrible idea to try, but they just don't ever work out.  Two reasons for it, the first being that you give up way too many assets that are needed to build up a bad team and the second is because it's usually not for a sure fire stud prospect, or else the team with the pick would just take them and trade their current QB.

The closest to ever working out would be Stafford last year, and that haul was really more to take back Goff's contract as it was for Stafford.  Plus, without them winning the SB that would be a really bad looking deal right now considering the current state of the Rams and that top draft pick now going to the Lions.

Here's the ones that I can remember off the top of my head from at least recent memory.....

Russel Wilson - Not looking great so far

Deshawn Watson - Not looking great so far

Trey Lance - Not looking great so far

Goff - Sure, they got to a SB with him, but he clearly wasn't the reason why, the best thing he did for them was get them the QB who did win them a SB

Wentz - Sure, they got a SB a couple years later when he was playing like an MVP, but he didn't actually win them the SB and then crapped out right after

RG3 - Maybe it works if he doesn't get hurt at the end of his rookie year, but his body/style of play was never going to hold up in the NFL anyways

Trubisky - Clearly did not work at all

Darnold - best thing he did for the Jets was fleecing us in a trade for him

The only outlier to this where it worked out would be Mahomes, but even at that, I'm not sure giving up a 3rd rounder and a single future 1st rounder to move from 27th to 10th is really giving up a haul for that pick anyways.

Yes, I know we clearly need to fix the QB problem, but doing it this way just never works, we need to find the right free agent or cheaper trade (like Carr maybe), or stand pat and hope to strike gold with our own pick or a minimal trade to move up to get one we like.  

Congratulations, you’ve won the award for dumbest post of 2023 (thus far)

• Pie 2
  • Beer 1
  • Poo 13

8 minutes ago, CBDellinger said:

it does work, it’s has worked and it can work again.  

Josh Allen and Pat Mahommes both drafted as a result of trades.  

Stafford won the rams a super bowl and we all know how he got there. 

it’s not the trades that are the issue… it’s the talent evaluators and the situations the players wind up in. 

Yes, Stafford is the exception, but only because they actually won the SB in one year, if that didn't happen it would be pretty bad right now, and at least 50% of the return they got wasn't because of Stafford but just the Lions being willing to take back Goff's contract in the deal.

I named Mahomes, but I don't think either him or Allen were at all hauls to move up to get them, they're what I was saying in a "minimal trade to move up"

Mahomes cost KC a future 1st and a 3rd to move up from 27 to 10, if anything that's a steal for them even before knowing what Mahomes became, let alone a haul.

Allen cost the Bills two 2nd's to move up from 12 to 7, which they needed to do to jump the Cardinals who took Rosen, and they also got a 7th back, again, not a haul by any means.

If we want to move up to take one of the top 2 or 3 QBs, I think it's going to cost us a lot more than either of those two as there are already QB needy teams ahead of us, it won't be cheap to move up this year.  I'd imagine it would be our first, both our seconds, next years first and probably next years second at a minimum to move up into the top 3 or 4 to get one of them, which seems far too much given none of them being close to sure things.

2 minutes ago, jayflip said:

Yeah. Thread made from cherry picked failures and ignoring very real success. Lmfaooo. 

What are the real successful trades where a team gave up a massive haul for either a QB or the draft pick to take a QB?

That's kinda my point, I'm struggling to think of any where it worked out.

• Pie 1

34 minutes ago, Varking said:

Why would anyone want Carr? He throws to Waller, Renfrow, Adams and hands off to Jacobs and still couldn’t dominate. 

Carr has always been a solid QB who has been hampered by bad coaching and absolutely horrendous defenses.

Put him behind our OL, with Moore, the 9th pick a WR, our defense, and say Harbaugh as his coach, you don't think that would work?

I like that situation significantly more than giving up 4-6 high draft picks to move up and take one of the QB's in this years draft.

Just now, tukafan21 said:

Carr has always been a solid QB who has been hampered by bad coaching and absolutely horrendous defenses.

Put him behind our OL, with Moore, the 9th pick a WR, our defense, and say Harbaugh as his coach, you don't think that would work?

I like that situation significantly more than giving up 4-6 high draft picks to move up and take one of the QB's in this years draft.

Brother, Moore is absolutely not D Adams level of talent. And they have a stud at TE. And Hunter is better than our #2 WR. And Jacobs is better than any running back we have.

No. 

• Pie 5

1 minute ago, tukafan21 said:

Yes, Stafford is the exception, but only because they actually won the SB in one year, if that didn't happen it would be pretty bad right now, and at least 50% of the return they got wasn't because of Stafford but just the Lions being willing to take back Goff's contract in the deal.

I named Mahomes, but I don't think either him or Allen were at all hauls to move up to get them, they're what I was saying in a "minimal trade to move up"

Mahomes cost KC a future 1st and a 3rd to move up from 27 to 10, if anything that's a steal for them even before knowing what Mahomes became, let alone a haul.

Allen cost the Bills two 2nd's to move up from 12 to 7, which they needed to do to jump the Cardinals who took Rosen, and they also got a 7th back, again, not a haul by any means.

If we want to move up to take one of the top 2 or 3 QBs, I think it's going to cost us a lot more than either of those two as there are already QB needy teams ahead of us, it won't be cheap to move up this year.  I'd imagine it would be our first, both our seconds, next years first and probably next years second at a minimum to move up into the top 3 or 4 to get one of them, which seems far too much given none of them being close to sure things.

What are the real successful trades where a team gave up a massive haul for either a QB or the draft pick to take a QB?

That's kinda my point, I'm struggling to think of any where it worked out.

But the Stafford trade did work.  Can’t say “if It didn’t” to justify your point. 

Acquiring Josh Allen took two trades that included their franchise LT and two first round picks for the bills to move up from pick 21 to pick 7 to draft Josh Allen.  Saying it wasn’t a haul isn’t telling the entire story.  

• Pie 3