• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Tepper clearly wants to change the Panthers identity

Saca312

1 minute ago, panthers55 said:

They aren't that much better. But in Wilkes case you have real experience with the team and know he can win. With new guys with no proven experience it is a crap shoot. Still that is what folks want. Instead of taking a coach who could deliver solid but unspectacular results we go for the unknown since he could be great even if history says he wont.

"Solid but unspectacular" is the very definition of this franchise over the course of its history. I believe Wilks is more of the same. You may get an occasional double digit win season and playoff appearance in a stream of 7-10 and 8-9 seasons. I'd rather try something fresh. Sure, a first time HC could flame out. But as an owner you can't be willing to settle for mediocre, especially when the NFL is geared towards year over year makeovers unlike other major sports leagues. 

• Pie 3

1 minute ago, panthers55 said:

They aren't that much better. But in Wilkes case you have real experience with the team and know he can win. With new guys with no proven experience it is a crap shoot. Still that is what folks want. Instead of taking a coach who could deliver solid but unspectacular results we go for the unknown since he could be great even if history says he wont.

Know he can win? I mean, we know he can go .500 against some of the worst teams in the league.  He had some good wins but we lost when it mattered most.

Why the hell would any of us want to settle for solid but unspectacular right now?? I'd like back to back winning seasons.

If Wilks interviews well and gets the job I'll support him because I'll believe he will have sold Tepper on a new identity that includes more dynamic offense. I can believe he was severely handicapped there this year. But his defense is just as problematic.

• Pie 4

Just now, UNCrules2187 said:

"Solid but unspectacular" is the very definition of this franchise over the course of its history. I believe Wilks is more of the same. You may get an occasional double digit win season and playoff appearance in a stream of 7-10 and 8-9 seasons. I'd rather try something fresh. Sure, a first time HC could flame out. But as an owner you can't be willing to settle for mediocre, especially when the NFL is geared towards year over year makeovers unlike other major sports leagues. 

But there is a greater chance that the new guy will turn out like Rhule. And no the NFL isn't geared to one year makeovers. You have a  90% chance Wilkes will be solid  which he proved with this crapshow, and possible some spectacular years or you have a 60% chance your guy will be awful, a 20% chance he will be solid and 20% chance he will be spectacular in a new hire.  

• Poo 1

5 minutes ago, mav1234 said:

Know he can win? I mean, we know he can go .500 against some of the worst teams in the league.  He had some good wins but we lost when it mattered most.

Why the hell would any of us want to settle for solid but unspectacular right now?? I'd like back to back winning seasons.

If Wilks interviews well and gets the job I'll support him because I'll believe he will have sold Tepper on a new identity that includes more dynamic offense. I can believe he was severely handicapped there this year. But his defense is just as problematic.

I really do not think that Tepper will ever hire a coach with a better record than what Wilks just put together. Incompetent owners pick incompetent GMs and incompetent coaches.

It's a passing league. You need to win shootouts in the 4th quarter. Running the ball and counting on your defense is for beating bad teams. Beating bad teams accomplishes nothing trophy-wise and pushes you down the draft board. If you want trophies you need to air it out. Tepper said during a 2021 preseason game interview that we were going to air it out during the regular season. That never happened, and Rhule was later sent packing.

Obviously we're going to hire a HC who knows how to create a modern NFL passing offense. I want the Bengals offensive coordinator, but I'm not picky. Get an OC from any of the NFL teams that have a modern offense that is effective and make him our HC. Then replace McAdoo with someone better and more innovative. McAdoo made too many mistakes with his play calling. He relied on players who had no business trying to execute his plays. For example, Ian Thomas was asked to run block many times, and each time he was destroyed and the play failed as a result. We need an OC who knows how to draw up plays that will highlight out strengths, and minimize our weaknesses. Just two games ago I saw Ian Thomas out there trying to block and he got turned backwards and pushed 5 yards into the backfield on a critical run play. That's McAdoo. He didn't learn anything about our personnel, but rather just kept calling stuff that wasn't right for our players.

Why pick a HC who is an offensive guru? Because if we have a problem with McAdoo, or a new OC, then the HC can take over the play calling, and teach the OC what he wants. Jon Fox used to take over the defense when we had a DC who was screwing up. Now defense is much less important, and offense is nearly everything.

Edited by pantherj
  • Pie 1

Just now, panthers55 said:

But there is a greater chance that the new guy will turn out like Rhule. And no the NFL isn't geared to one year makeovers. You have a  90% chance Wilkes will be solid  which he proved with this crapshow, and possible some spectacular years or you have a 60% chance your guy will be awful, a 20% chance he will be solid and 20% chance he will be spectacular in a new hire.  

This goes back to my point that most of the Huddle spends its paychecks on lottery tickets. Sure, there's a great chance you're gonna lose, but you might win

4 minutes ago, Carl Spackler said:

I really do not think that Tepper will ever hire a coach with a better record than what Wilks just put together. Incompetent owners pick incompetent GMs and incompetent coaches.

Im sympathetic to that but I'd still rather he try than settle.

Tbh outside of saying no to Harbaugh (which may be about total control) I'm relatively happy with his pool so far.

Just now, mav1234 said:

Im sympathetic to that but I'd still rather he try than settle.

Tbh outside of saying no to Harbaugh (which may be about total control) I'm relatively happy with his pool so far.

I'd rather he try, too, if I believed we could get better with him trying. Because that will never be the case, I'm good with settling. 

• Pie 2

5 minutes ago, Carl Spackler said:

This goes back to my point that most of the Huddle spends its paychecks on lottery tickets. Sure, there's a great chance you're gonna lose, but you might win

I don't know why we are sure we are getting a .500 clip Wilks when his career winning percentage as a coach is .321...

• Pie 2
  • Beer 1

8 minutes ago, panthers55 said:

90% chance he will be solid?

Based on what?

What is his overall record? 

How many of the few wins that he does have is against good teams, or even teams with a winning record?

• Pie 2