• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Tepper clearly wants to change the Panthers identity

Saca312

2 minutes ago, frankw said:

You wanted Ron to go but you are fully in favor of bringing back a coach who will have to learn the concept of going for it on 4th down and not punting over and over like Rivera did early on? You're entitled to your opinion but this place really is bizarro sometimes.

he clearly showed he was rr clone in the tampa game, why sign back up for that?  We have done it 2x now. 

• Beer 1

3 minutes ago, mrcompletely11 said:

he clearly showed he was rr clone in the tampa game, why sign back up for that?  We have done it 2x now. 

It's the Rhule effect. People are scared to swing for anything else. All that failure proved is you don't pay a college coach with no established history at the NFL level a king's ransom. It shouldn't affect our decision making. This is the path that we should have followed in 2020. I fear if Wilks is hired we will end up right back here within three years.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

1 hour ago, panthers55 said:

No but a real mark of a good coach and leader is when you get the exact same roster or in his case a depleted roster and make them perform at a substsntially higher level and that Wilkes did.

I hear your argument but can you show me some examples of folks who took over on an interim basis and then coached the team better in year two?

4 minutes ago, frankw said:

It's the Rhule effect. People are scared to swing for anything else. All that failure proved is you don't pay a college coach with no established history at the NFL level a king's ransom. It shouldn't affect our decision making. This is the path that we should have followed in 2020. I fear if Wilks is hired we will end up right back here within three years.

2 or maybe 1. Wilks may be a one and done coach again and that would be hilarious. 

• Beer 2

Just now, frankw said:

1 year. I bet the fans turn then because it would really be like his 2nd year more than his first year. If we were not winning at the end of next year it would get rough for him. There would be no Rhule curve next year to  hide behind.

I don't think it matters and even Tepper knows the stands would remain empty if Wilks is rehired. He amps up the players really well and not the customers which is a problem the players don't see or care about. Tepper sends out questionnaires regularly so he probably knows the temp of the customer base at this point. 

• Beer 2

2 minutes ago, Gregg S said:

Actually, it was 3 consecutive.  But the first (2013) and third (2015) were sandwiching a 7-8-1 record in a season where the NFCS was about as putrid as it was this season. 

So basically we ran the South for 3 years..even with Sean Payton on the other side...and didn't Wilks just sweep the Saints, I mean Payton gone but Rhule couldnt even do that.

You win your divison first. Wilks rn is the best coach in the Nfc south...point blank period.

1 minute ago, Varking said:

I hear your argument but can you show me some examples of folks who took over on an interim basis and then coached the team better in year two?

Jeff Fisher, but that was the only one, and it was over 20 years ago. All the rest had limited playoff success, if that, but Fisher is the only one to actually make the Super Bowl. 
So if Tepper hired Wilks he would pretty much be doing the same thing he did when hiring Rhule. Hoping that Wilks is the exception not the rule. But there has only been one exception.