• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Fitt bringing Sexy back..

WOW!!

To a TE...NO.

To the cap stuff...I think that kicking the can is OK...for a very short time if you have a very good GM, HC, and QB.  In that situation hopefully the GM and HC can be honest about their division and their talent, both starters, and depth.  If they think that they can truly make a decent run...a 3 year shot at a title...then kick the can, but put a "midnight" clause on it.

Any other time, it's best to stay out of cap hell, keep your strengths strong, and build toward acquiring players and staff to win your division.

• Pie 1

With regards to the cap, I don't have a problem with doing simple restructures for guys like Moore and Moton. Both have been relatively healthy their entire careers, are still young and productive, and figure to be in the team's plans for at least the next 3 years. Base salary restructures of Moore and Moton alone open up ~$19.5m of cap space.

Edited by UNCrules2187

4 hours ago, PleaseCutStewart said:

There is definitely a good crop of TEs in this draft.

Mayer, Musgrave, Washington, & Kincaid all have potential to be studs to me. Hopefully 1 of Musgrave, Washington, or Kincaid is available with our 2nd round pick (Mayer will likely be gone).

Washington reminds me of Ian Thomas.. a huge monster of a man but there is no way he can run the route tree Olsen could run and the necessary shifty/speed to create separation from NFL CBs and LBs..

Musgrave or Kincaid are guys I think we can get with one of our 2nd rounders or even LaPorta or Latu in the 3rd..

1 hour ago, ECHornet said:

If I had to compare playing styles of the top TEs in the upcoming draft to TEs on one of the two lists in this thread...

Darnell Washington - Marcedes Lewis

Do you mean young Marcedes Lewis, who was an absolute weapon in the passing game, or current Marcedes Lewis, who is hands down one of the best blocking TEs in the game.

3 minutes ago, trueblade said:

Do you mean young Marcedes Lewis, who was an absolute weapon in the passing game, or current Marcedes Lewis, who is hands down one of the best blocking TEs in the game.

The current version. The closest comparison I can think of would be Martellus Bennett.

I limited myself to just players on the lists in this thread though. 

• Pie 1

4 hours ago, Khyber53 said:

I remember when they said Luke Kuechly was a reach at #9. And that 8th was way, way too high for some white kid from Stanford, CMC.

Trust me, make the TE pick at #9, don't get fancy with trade backs, take the man and move on.

When was the last tight end picked in the first worth it?   How about top 10?   TEs don’t hold first round value.  It’s that simple

5 minutes ago, mrcompletely11 said:

When was the last tight end picked in the first worth it?   How about top 10?   TEs don’t hold first round value.  It’s that simple

You could argue that evaluations were just off. Tight ends like Kelce and Kittle certainly hold a first round value. The scouts just didn't identify their talents/potential accurately. I agree that it seems good TEs can typically be found on day 2 of the draft, but that doesn't mean a TE will never hold 1st round value.

Edited by ECHornet

1 minute ago, ECHornet said:

You could argue that evaluations were just off. Tight ends like Kelce and Kittle certainly hold a first round value. The scouts just didn't identify their talents/potential accurately. I agree that it seems good TEs can typically be found on day 2 of the draft, but that doesn't mean a TE will never hold 1st round value.

The bigger issue is that you are angling for an elite guy worth that pick and there are maybe 3-5 of those in the NFL at any one time. Those are really the only guys that are worth that kind of draft capital. 

So, you REALLY need to nail that pick.

4 minutes ago, ECHornet said:

Even if this were true then there are currently only 2 tes in the nfl worthy of a first round pick

Pitts was the greatest prospect at the position ever and he hasnt done poo for 2 years.  

2 minutes ago, kungfoodude said:

The bigger issue is that you are angling for an elite guy worth that pick and there are maybe 3-5 of those in the NFL at any one time. Those are really the only guys that are worth that kind of draft capital. 

So, you REALLY need to nail that pick.

I'm not necessarily saying they have to be a Kelce or Kittle to draft in the first round. You have to ask what helps our team next year and over the next four to five. A top notch tight end, if chosen correctly, upgrades one of our biggest weaknesses and makes things easier on the QB we bring in this year or next. That allows for a little more wiggle room than just top 3-5 in the league or bust, imo.

1 minute ago, ECHornet said:

I'm not necessarily saying they have to be a Kelce or Kittle to draft in the first round. You have to ask what helps our team next year and over the next four to five. A top notch tight end, if chosen correctly, upgrades one of our biggest weaknesses and makes things easier on the QB we bring in this year or next. That allows for a little more wiggle room than just top 3-5 in the league or bust, imo.

What te that was drafted in the first in the last 5ish years would do that? 

Picking a te at #9 would just be another historically bad franchise move.

• Beer 1

3 minutes ago, mrcompletely11 said:

Even if this were true then there are currently only 2 tes in the nfl worthy of a first round pick

Pitts was the greatest prospect at the position ever and he hasnt done poo for 2 years.  

I addressed your first sentence above. For me, there's more wiggle room to first round value than 'has to be a Kelce or Kittle.'

Re: Pitts...I think one of the biggest issues the NFL scouts have drafting TEs in the 1st is they fall in love with the flashy receiving threats. They should be looking for the savvy, well-rounded TEs who utlilize head fakes well and find soft spots in zones. It's not a perfect metaphor, but it's similar to NBA teams prioritizing a long center 'prototype' who can only dunk over the crafty, below the rim guys who offer more production.