• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Cade Mays as a starter?

Mr. Scot

Mays hadn’t played a live rep on the offensive line since the preseason, and he had only worked 17 snaps as a part-time fullback to that point. Despite the inexperience, Mays thrived as the Panthers pushed past the Saints. With Corbett and Christensen set for lengthy rehab stints, Mays — a sixth-round pick in last year’s draft — could be destined for a temporary starting role in training camp and beyond, based on the potential he showed in the finale.

“I hate it for those guys — wish them the best in their process,” May said Monday. “I got that opportunity and made the most of it. For next year, it gives me a great jump start into next season of having that confidence, going out and just playing hard. I think everybody got some confidence in me, seeing that it was actually my first time going out there and doing it. It was awesome.” Mays, a Tennessee alum, doubled his reps for the season during his fill-in duty. While he spent his first rep as a fullback, his other 33 plays were in the trenches, and the rookie impressed his bosses with his ability to come into the game and work at any spot necessary. “To put a big guy like that in the backfield, just shows the type of athlete he is,” GM Scott Fitterer said. “It’s so hard for a 315-pound guy to adjust on the run like he does. And then (Sunday) was sort of a blessing in disguise. You hate any injury, especially to Corbett, who is an awesome guy. But to see what Cade did when he came in, the movement he got at the line of scrimmage, the physicality that he played with, a guy that hasn’t taken a lot of reps with that group and the way he communicated with them. ... That’s a great sign.”

Veteran center Bradley Bozeman took Mays under his wing this season. Like Mays, Bozeman was once a sixth-round pick who had to battle his way onto the field by any means necessary.

Against the Saints, Bozeman and Mays played alongside each other, and the fifth-year veteran was impressed by the rookie to his right. “Cade showed what he can do in the second half,” Bozeman said. “He just — he’s a dog.” Mays will spend the offseason working out and reflecting on his rookie season. With Corbett potentially sidelined until the start of next season, Mays knows he has a big opportunity awaiting him in the summer during training camp. Mays won’t get too far ahead of himself. He knows he has areas of his game to improve and that every year brings new competition. For now, though, he is just grateful for the foundation he established in his first season in Carolina. “I just grew so much,” Mays said. “Just being consistent, being the same guy, showing up to work every day and just learning from the great guys I had in the room. The great leaders we had — watching how they went about their business, it was just awesome to have them to lean on and learn from.”

Read more at: https://www.charlotteobserver.com/sports/nfl/carolina-panthers/article270994737.html#storylink=cpy

• Pie 7
  • Beer 2

I want Boze back.  We have a lot of guys on this team who are taking leader roles and mentoring other guys, and he's back.  Would be good for Cade to keep learning, getting stronger in our system, and providing solid depth next year.  

Our OL showed great growth and chemistry this year, and the left side is so young...keep as much consistency as possible, and draft another OL this year to keep a strength strong.

• Pie 5

2 minutes ago, Captain Morgan said:

I want Boze back.  We have a lot of guys on this team who are taking leader roles and mentoring other guys, and he's back.  Would be good for Cade to keep learning, getting stronger in our system, and providing solid depth next year.  

Our OL showed great growth and chemistry this year, and the left side is so young...keep as much consistency as possible, and draft another OL this year to keep a strength strong.

If you look back at the Cowboys offensive line when they were turning out fantasy RB juggernauts every year, they were always investing in their OL. When they stopped making it a priority, it started faltering. OL is the position I think you have to constantly address every year. 5 starters, 4 backups are the usual roster makeup. You have to always keep investing if you want to keep the line strong. Injuries are going to happen, sometimes multiples. Young, talented depth growing behind experienced starters is a very good thing. 

• Pie 8

I would invest another draft pick in the line... undoubtedly 

Keep your strengths your strengths ...

I see we signed Deonte Brown back ... hopefully he gets his weight and mind right and becomes a factor. 

I like how we attacked the offensive line position this offseason. Moton, BC, Ickey, Corbett(after preseason), Cade, Boze (Top priority to extend). Why not throw a couple more names in there for insurance and competition. 

• Pie 2

14 minutes ago, Captain Morgan said:

I'm thinking they'll draft a center regardless in the 2nd or 3rd. A guy for Boze to mentor and groom like he did with Mays. 

Iirc, Boze only missed a handful of games his entire career so if he stays I think we target an interchangeable OG/OC like Steve Avila out of Oregon. I would definitely be ok with taking a flyer on that guy if he's still on the board in the 3rd. 

• Beer 1