• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

HC Candidate List

Bear Hands

Mike Kafka Vid below (somewhat dry alert) but I wouldn't discount this dude:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gsRoc8GPySs&ab_channel=NewYorkGiants

Something I'm trying to place is how these different personalities will work with our interview room. 

Hurney & Tepper sounded like they went with the feel with Rhule.  I just see Hurney as such a sucker type.  WIth Fitt it's different.  They may need to step back and ask themselves who really laid out the best vision and not just who had the best interview from a personable standpoint.  Will have their BS detectors on, and Scott seems much more in tune with the vision and philosophy chatter.    

Looking at Ben Johnson, think he will absolutely crush first impressions, he's easily got the most charisma, but that doesn't mean he's the best.  If they take some time to deliberate and see who's best, Steichen or even Kafka could come out looking really impressive.  All depends I suppose!

My instinct has those 3 as our frontrunners.  

Steichen, Johnson, Kafka

• Pie 2

8 minutes ago, Bear Hands said:

Mike Kafka Vid below (somewhat dry alert) but I wouldn't discount this dude:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gsRoc8GPySs&ab_channel=NewYorkGiants

Something I'm trying to place is how these different personalities will work with our interview room. 

Hurney & Tepper sounded like they went with the feel with Rhule.  I just see Hurney as such a sucker type.  WIth Fitt it's different.  They may need to step back and ask themselves who really laid out the best vision and not just who had the best interview from a personable standpoint.  Will have their BS detectors on, and Scott seems much more in tune with the vision and philosophy chatter.    

Looking at Ben Johnson, think he will absolutely crush first impressions, he's easily got the most charisma, but that doesn't mean he's the best.  If they take some time to deliberate and see who's best, Steichen or even Kafka could come out looking really impressive.  All depends I suppose!

My instinct has those 3 as our frontrunners.  

Steichen, Johnson, Kafka

Between pressers and play calling I'm leaning towards Johnson. He's young but seems like he's probably actually more mature than Mcvay/Mcdaniel in that age range

I know I am old.  Kellen Moore looks like the 16-year old kid that just got his license and is knocking on the door asking if he can take your daughter out.

Some good prospects on this list.  Both Steichen and Johnson have shown the ability to come up with game plans based on the week's opponent and their strengths and weaknesses.  Perhaps the others, too, but that is something we have not seen in.....well......maybe ever.

• Pie 3
  • Beer 1

1 hour ago, Sgt Schultz said:

I know I am old.  Kellen Moore looks like the 16-year old kid that just got his license and is knocking on the door asking if he can take your daughter out.

Some good prospects on this list.  Both Steichen and Johnson have shown the ability to come up with game plans based on the week's opponent and their strengths and weaknesses.  Perhaps the others, too, but that is something we have not seen in.....well......maybe ever.

It's like every OC we've had minus Chud wanted to make their best Dan Henning impression.

• Pie 2

To add to OP:

Demeco Ryans

ad956e9d94a20b5459ac5e3f20932ac8

Current Gig: 49ers DC

College LB, Pro LB (9 years), Pro-Coach 6 years (2 years DC)

https://www.49ers.com/team/coaches-roster/demeco-ryans

I have heard on a few outlets that teams love Demeco and he's received very high praise around multiple circles.  He may be one of the types that is an even better HC than simply a defense or offense guy.  Key with him is who his offensive minds would be.

Jerod Mayo

Jerod-Mayo-1.14-61e18df92f66e-scaled.jpg

https://www.patriots.com/team/coaches-roster/jerod-mayo

Current Gig: Patriots LB Coach

College LB, Career Captain, Pro LB (7 years), LB Coach (4 years)

Breer: "What's working for Mayo right now is the success of other former players. We're going to see it tonight with Kevin O'Connell in Minnesota. We've seen it with Mike Vrabel in Tennessee. If Jeff Saturday continues to acquit himself well in Indianapolis, I think that helps as well. So I think the success of prominent ex-players helps Jerod Mayo. 

Now Mayo, 35, is emerging as a rising star in NFL coaching circles. Many predict a fast rise from his current job to ultimately becoming a head coach.

“Jerod is a strong leader of men,” one NFL source said. “He’s incredibly smart with outstanding emotional intelligence and knowledge. I wouldn’t bet against him becoming a head coach very soon and being very successful. Jerod is a high-character person capable of energizing a franchise.”

https://nationalpost.com/pmn/sports-pmn/jerod-mayo-one-of-flms-5-under-the-radar-hc-candidates

2 hours ago, Bear Hands said:

I gotta say, this just feels SOOOOOO much more damn promising than the 2019 batch of Mike McCarthy, Matt Rhule, Josh McDaniels, & Rob Ryan

the thing is, i would take Wilks over any of those guys you listed there. i think wilks is a legit contender for the job. the only issue is being a defensive coach.

i really like wilks and i hope he's got an answer for OC that is lights out. 

wilks is my favorite, but i've got to admit to a bit of bias towards him. i just like the guy and the fact that the players like his so much is a bigger factor to me than it has been with other supposed player's coaches. i like him more than i did rivera or fox.

i'd be really happy with most of these top options. not really crazy about Kellen Moore or Ken Dorsey, but i am digging Johnson, Steichen, and even Reich.  

But you pair up Wilks with one of these young up and coming OCs and i think we'd be set there as well.

my brain tells me that we'd be better with one of these offensive minds running the show but my gut is telling me that if we can get Wilks paired up with a good aggressive and innovative OC, then we'd be really hard to beat too.

• Pie 4

4 minutes ago, rayzor said:

But you pair up Wilks with one of these young up and coming OCs and i think we'd be set there as well.

my brain tells me that we'd be better with one of these offensive minds running the show but my gut is telling me that if we can get Wilks paired up with a good aggressive and innovative OC, then we'd be really hard to beat too.

Problem is that OC is probably gone in a year or two - that's why guys like Johnson, Kafka, Steichen, Dorsey are getting looks this go around even though they only have 1-2 years OC experience.

Could see Lafleur being an OC on DeMeco Ryans staff, btw.

Edited by UNCrules2187
  • Beer 1

1 hour ago, rayzor said:

the thing is, i would take Wilks over any of those guys you listed there. i think wilks is a legit contender for the job. the only issue is being a defensive coach.

i really like wilks and i hope he's got an answer for OC that is lights out. 

wilks is my favorite, but i've got to admit to a bit of bias towards him. i just like the guy and the fact that the players like his so much is a bigger factor to me than it has been with other supposed player's coaches. i like him more than i did rivera or fox.

i'd be really happy with most of these top options. not really crazy about Kellen Moore or Ken Dorsey, but i am digging Johnson, Steichen, and even Reich.  

I'm a Wilks fan but I just don't know, I'm not as sold as others.  100% no issue if he lands the job, it means he had a convincing vision compared to some of the better candidate crop we've had in recent years.  I would back him and be a happy fan.  

I just saw too many conservative tendencies and a Rivera-era feel that I just want to get away from.  I also can't unsee whatever that Rams game was, the Bengals, Ravens, Steelers.  There were some pretty leaky performances no matter how sweet it was that we stayed playoff reach and how great he is in the locker room.  He's a bit Tomlin-esque in tone, but more Rivera in philosophy, and I just have a hard time with the latter.

We just really need to take a swing here.  BUT, if he can find a dude to compliment him well that keeps us on the front end of things, I'm for it.    

I'm leaning towards B Johnson because it seems he has a bit of all sides. Has his players' ears and is at the forefront of NFL trends.  I just want to be a part of teams that are ahead of the mark, not becoming a team reacting to what the best are doing. 

I'm not saying we won't do that with Wilks but it just feels like we won't be this heat seeking missile for the endzone with him.  It's more this clear identity and grind the opponent into the dirt rather than a chess match, multi-weapon approach w/scheme blending.  

• Pie 2