• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Top 3 coaches in panthers history?

KaseKlosed

I liked Capers best. His defenses were beastly and he cared about the Oline. Also cared about team improvement.

Fox next, he lacked many things such as team adjustments, roster decisions, sticking with the same plan over and over. However, at least he gave a damn about the oline.

Rivera I would put 3rd. He is just like Fox except, he gave not 1 fug about offensive line and protecting the best QB in franchise history. fug him.

• Pie 1

7 hours ago, KaseKlosed said:

Who are the top three all-time coaches in the Carolina Panthers franchise, in your opinion

1. Ron Rivera (2011-2019)
  2. John Fox (2002-2010)
  3. Matt Rhule (2020-2022)
  4. George Seifert (1999-2001)
  5. Dom Capers (1995-1998)
  6. Marty Hurney (Interim - 2012)
  7. Jack Del Rio (2002-2003)
  8. Mike McCormack (1995)
  9. Dave Wannstedt (2004)
  10. Dan Henning (2008-2010)

Jeff Goldblum What GIF by The Late Late Show with James Corden

Face Palm No GIF by Ryn Dean

What in the ever loving fug is this? 

1) Fox

2) Rivera

3) Capers

Fox never got to draft a franchise QB (Clausen in the lame duck year doesn't count).  He was the most consistent winner though.  The only reason I slightly hesitated with him is how he quit on this organization. 

Rivera had the best nucleus of of young talented players and still couldn't get us over the top or even make us consistent winners.  He SHOULD be #1, but couldn't maximize the most talented rosters we've ever had.

Capers was able to cobble together a bunch of aging cast-offs and make them winners in a short time, but wasn't able to see that he needed to flip the roster to a younger one in time to save his job.

• Beer 1

3 minutes ago, 45catfan said:

1) Fox

2) Rivera

3) Capers

Fox never got to draft a franchise QB (Clausen in the lame duck year doesn't count).  He was the most consistent winner though.  The only reason I slightly hesitated with him is how he quit on this organization. 

Rivera had the best nucleus of of young talented players and still couldn't get us over the top or even make us consistent winners.  He SHOULD be #1, but couldn't maximize the most talented rosters we've ever had.

Capers was able to cobble together a bunch of aging cast-offs and make them winners in a short time, but wasn't able to see that he needed to flip the roster to a younger one in time to save his job.

Fox didn't want to draft a franchise QB. He didn't believe in them.

All he really wanted was a quarterback to run a basic offense and not screw up too much.

• Flames 1

The laughable and honestly sad part is when this list comes around every year (sorry OP, it's not a unique thread) is until Rhule, Siefert was unanimously at the bottom.  At least ol' Geroge got us a .500 season.  For his sake, at least he's never going to be seen as the Panther worst HC of all time anymore.

3 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

Fox didn't want to draft a franchise QB. He didn't believe in them.

All he really wanted was a quarterback to run a basic offense and not screw up too much.

Eh, I'm not sure he didn't believe in them as much as the time it takes to develop them.  If the scenario was right where he could have got one early on in 2002 or 2003, it may have worked. Once he struck gold with Delhomme, drafting a franchise QB was all but an afterthought.

3 minutes ago, 45catfan said:

Eh, I'm not sure he didn't believe in them as much as the time it takes to develop them.  If the scenario was right where he could have got one early on in 2002 or 2003, it may have worked. Once he struck gold with Delhomme, drafting a franchise QB was all but an afterthought.

That was actually quoted from Darin Gantt.

Fox was an old school defensive coach. In his thinking, the offense's job was basically to not screw up.

• Beer 1

Just now, Mr. Scot said:

That was actually quoted from Darin Gantt.

Fox was an old school defensive coach. In his thinking, the offense's job was basically to not screw up.

Sure, I get that and know that, but we would never know what would have happened regarding drafting a QB high because Jake turned out to be a hidden gem of a FA.  Jake was much more than just a game manager.  If that were the case and that's all he was, I could have seen Fox taking a stab on a QB early in the draft.  Again, Jake worked out so well (up to the Tommy John surgery) that developing a rookie QB wasn't necessary.

Just now, 45catfan said:

Sure, I get that and know that, but we would never know what would have happened regarding drafting a QB high because Jake turned out to be a hidden gem of a FA.  Jake was much more than just a game manager.  If that were the case and that's all he was, I could have seen Fox taking a stab on a QB early in the draft.  Again, Jake worked out so well (up to the Tommy John surgery) that developing a rookie QB wasn't necessary.

We know from behind the scenes stories in 2010 that he didn't want to draft Clausen.

(granted, he was right in that case)

• The D 1

1 minute ago, Mr. Scot said:

We know from behind the scenes stories in 2010 that he didn't want to draft Clausen.

(granted, he was right in that case)

Yup, he had one foot already out the door and the main grudge I hold against Fox. It's like an employee refusing to do anything productive on their last day of work.  Ok, Richardson didn't extend his contract, but at least put your best product on the field!  The only good thing about him quitting on the 2010 squad was we were able draft Cam in 2011.