• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

CJ Stroud enters the draft

jb2288

1 minute ago, top dawg said:

Tje reason Watson is not a Panther is because we refused to trade the farm for him. Cleveland arguably did, but we'll see how i t works out for them. I'm certainly not going to base the success or failure of the contract based on a rusty Watson and six games.

this is incorrect from what we know - we offered a better trade package BUT Watson refused because of lack of a guaranteed contract... so we were willing to 'trade the farm' for him... 

• Pie 2
  • Beer 1

6 minutes ago, rippadonn said:

They don't get it. They also continue to put Young ahead of guys five inches taller. It's the NFL and Kyler Murray doesn't help his case enough.

They get it.

it’s also because Young is a dam good QB and has other tools outside of Height and weight that are hard to teach.

• Pie 2
  • Beer 2
  • Flames 2

Just now, ncfan said:

They get it.

it’s also because Young is a dam good QB and has other tools outside of Height and weight that are hard to teach.

Doesn't matter, the NFL is full of physical specimens that have the potential to end the career of someone so slight if frame. It's a tough business. If Cam couldn't hold up more than ten years, how long do guys like Young who are smaller and lighter than a guy like Tua going to hold up?

His frame is a long term concern especially because high picks usually go to teams that may lack proper protection, for that reason a 6'3" 230lb Levis will be higher value to most teams.

• Pie 1

Just now, ForJimmy said:

He is the most polished prospect by far. The height is the only weakness I see.

his height (actually it is also his build/frame) is a concern long term though.  But I think that when you have the kind of skill he does, you can overcome that.  Need a good OL to limit the beating he takes tho.

From a pure passer perspective - Young is clear and away tops in the class. But man - it's hard for me to get over his build. That was my main concern on Tua coming out.

My concern with Stroud is can he learn to identify what open windows are in the NFL. No matter who the QB is - the coaching hire will be instrumental. Urban Meyer nearly ruined Trevor Lawrence. That's why I'm not opposed to Frank Reich if the Panthers opt for a young QB.

We'll see what happens.

• Pie 1

Just now, mav1234 said:

trading the farm is an expression that doesn't mean you are actually crippling the team in every way by actually trading all of your farm system (or draft picks in this case since there's no farm system in the NFL)... But we were going to send HOU multiple first rounders/equivalent value... and we'd probably need to do the same to move up to draft a QB in this draft.

Are you sure about that? That's not the way I've seen this phrase used. It basically means that you're doing something that may be ill-advised. The correct term us actually "betting the farm," and we all know that that's not necessarily what you should be doing. You can look it up, but to "bet the farm" means to risk everything.

• Pie 1

6 minutes ago, ForJimmy said:

Plus Tepper is dying to get a QB. He will sign off on most trades to acquire one IMO.

No doubt in my mind that we will make a move.   We have some ammo with extra picks and our brass knows we can’t keep waiting to get one.

With Stroud coming out it increases the likelihood big time that AR15 will last till 9 but not completely a sure thing.  We will try to move up.

I think there is a real chance we move up very high and take Levis ourselves.  He is in the mix for the top QB in the draft without question 

Edited by Shocker
  • Pie 1

Just now, rippadonn said:

Doesn't matter, the NFL is full of physical specimens that have the potential to end the career of someone so slight if frame. It's a tough business. If Cam couldn't hold up more than ten years, how long do guys like Young who are smaller and lighter than a guy like Tua going to hold up?

His frame is a long term concern especially because high picks usually go to teams that may lack proper protection, for that reason a 6'3" 230lb Levis will be higher value to most teams.

Maybe the same way Russell Wilson held up better than those guys

it goes back to unteachable tools.  His pocket awareness, his ability to feel pressure helps.  He isn’t a runner like Lamar or even Kyler.

he is a scrambler,  which is a big difference. He has the sense and the feel when pressure to scramble to avoid like we always saw Russ do.  He has it between the ears like you saw with Bree’s and Russ.

and to compare him to Tua.  Man, you need to go back and watch the actual film of those 2 in college before throwing out that comparison.

• Pie 2

9 minutes ago, mav1234 said:

this is incorrect from what we know - we offered a better trade package BUT Watson refused because of lack of a guaranteed contract... so we were willing to 'trade the farm' for him... 

No we were not. I am absolutely correct. The actual term is to "bet the farm," and that means that you're risking everything.

• Beer 1

My dream scenario (ignoring my dream of landing Maye/Williams in 2024):

-Bears stay at #1 and go best defensive player in draft

-Texans are scared off of Young due to size concerns and draft Stroud/Levis

-We trade up (swap 1sts + both 2023 2nds + 2023 5th) with the Cardinals and select Young.

We would have a Mahomes-esque QB to build around on a rookie contract with all of our draft picks in tact the following years. 

Edited by ECHornet
  • Pie 2

I’m curious what’s the threshold for height before it’s not concerning for people.

I’ve seen people reference “look at Baker” when voicing concern on Bryce when it comes to him.

and I’ve noticed a trend, many of these same people are ones who are the “give Corral a shot.  When Corral is only one  inch taller with a lower release which = ball coming out the same height.  And to top it off.  His comp was Baker.

I don't believe that we're going to trade up for Stroud or Young, and I don't believe that they're going to magical be available at nine. There are too many QB-needy teams at the top of the draft. 

Tepper has basically alluded to the fact that he wants to be more responsible with draft compensation, and doling it out based on all these unproven question marks isn't something that I think we'll have an appetite for.