• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

CJ Stroud enters the draft

jb2288

10 minutes ago, ncfan said:

I’m curious what’s the threshold for height before it’s not concerning for people.

I’ve seen people reference “look at Baker” when voicing concern on Bryce when it comes to him.

and I’ve noticed a trend, many of these same people are ones who are the “give Corral a shot.  When Corral is only one  inch taller with a lower release which = ball coming out the same height.  And to top it off.  His comp was Baker.

You're totally discounting how the person is naturally built and their weight. Corral is naturally 20 pounds or more bigger than Young. Baker and even Kyler Murray are shorter QBs, but they're not really small guys. Young is a small guy.

Edited by top dawg
  • Pie 1

13 minutes ago, SuperBowlBound said:

From a pure passer perspective - Young is clear and away tops in the class. But man - it's hard for me to get over his build. That was my main concern on Tua coming out.

My concern with Stroud is can he learn to identify what open windows are in the NFL. No matter who the QB is - the coaching hire will be instrumental. Urban Meyer nearly ruined Trevor Lawrence. That's why I'm not opposed to Frank Reich if the Panthers opt for a young QB.

We'll see what happens.

No argument...

1 minute ago, top dawg said:

I don't believe that we're going to trade up for Stroud or Young, and I don't believe that they're going to magical be available at nine. There are too many QB-needy teams at the top of the draft. 

Tepper has basically alluded to the fact that he wants to be more responsible with draft compensation, and doling it out based on all these unproven question marks isn't something that I think we'll have an appetite for. 

I can see is moving up.  Not top 3 move  up but just a few spots.

2-3 spots to get ahead of the Raiders so a Justin Herbert situation doesn’t happen again.

8 minutes ago, top dawg said:

No we were not. I am absolutely correct. The actual term is to "bet the farm," and that means that you're risking everything.

The origin of the term aside (you are right there!), in context of whether the Watson trade indicates we would 'bet it all', we were clearly willing to give up a huge deal in terms of future assets. So, how does this indicate we wouldn't make a huge risky deal to move up? Or are you just arguing that in order for a team to bet the farm is must be a massive, crippling contract that is fully guaranteed AND giving away huge future assets?? (Which would mean that term doesn't really apply in your mind to draft pick trades anyhow?)

• Pie 1

3 minutes ago, top dawg said:

You're totally discounting how the person is naturally built and their weight. Corral is naturally 20 pounds or more bigger than Young. Baker and even Kyler Murray are shorter, but they're not really small guys. Young is a small guy.

Yeah his height isn't a good thing but it's more than his height.  If it was just a couple inches but he had a bigger frame... But he's just small....

Doesn't mean he won't find success tho.  Just hard to imagine him going #1 overall.

• Beer 1

3 minutes ago, top dawg said:

You're totally discounting how the person is naturally built and their weight. Corral is naturally 20 pounds or more bigger than Young. Baker and even Kyler Murray are shorter, but they're not really small guys. Young is a small guy.

Again.  Goes back to other unteachables so outside of physical measurables.

just like Russ’s weight never effected him.   He has it between the ears.  He feels the pressure better than about any QB to come out in a long time.  He reads defenses better and his pocket awareness.  He knows when to get the ball out or get out of the pocket and go off script.  Which outside of Mahomes, he’s the best I’ve seen.

• Pie 2

1 minute ago, ncfan said:

Again.  Goes back to other unteachables so outside of physical measurables.

just like Russ’s weight never effected him.   He has it between the ears.  He feels the pressure better than about any QB to come out in a long time.  He reads defenses better and his pocket awareness.  He knows when to get the ball out or get out of the pocket and go off script.  Which outside of Mahomes, he’s the best I’ve seen.

does he, or did he have an exceptional coach that built a team around him that could maximize what he had?

and isn't Russ like 15+ lbs heavier than Young?  He looks much bigger...

• Beer 1

27 minutes ago, rippadonn said:

Doesn't matter, the NFL is full of physical specimens that have the potential to end the career of someone so slight if frame. It's a tough business. If Cam couldn't hold up more than ten years, how long do guys like Young who are smaller and lighter than a guy like Tua going to hold up?

His frame is a long term concern especially because high picks usually go to teams that may lack proper protection, for that reason a 6'3" 230lb Levis will be higher value to most teams.

I’m so tired of this stupid take. Cam was bigger than probably like 98% of QBs ever and still barely lasted 10 years. You know who’s smaller than him and had All-Pro careers/HoFers?  Brees, Vick, Tarkenton, Theismann, Flutie, etc. If the only problem with Young is his size sign me the hell up. Explain to me how those guys were able to succeed in the NFL when they’re all small but Young won’t last? 

• Pie 2

54 minutes ago, pantherj said:

Our black cat Panthers luck will see CJ going somewhere between 1 and 8. Just like we won exactly enough games to not make the playoffs, but also be as far down the draft as possible. We're sitting right in the worst case scenario zone. 

Which is exactly where the team wants to be, forever mediocre!! 🤣🤣🤣🙄🙄🙄

7 minutes ago, mav1234 said:

does he, or did he have an exceptional coach that built a team around him that could maximize what he had?

and isn't Russ like 15+ lbs heavier than Young?  He looks much bigger...

Russ was 195 his last year at Wisconsin

Bryce is listed 190

30 minutes ago, top dawg said:

No we were not. I am absolutely correct. The actual term is to "bet the farm," and that means that you're risking everything.

It's a saying that means betting the future.  You are not ABSOLUTELY correct, you just have a different opinion of what that means.  The Browns still have cap space and some picks so they didn't risk "everything" to acquire Watson as that is completely unrealistic.  Many analysts were saying the Niners "bet the farm" to acquire Lance which was 3 first rounds picks.  Stop arguing about a simple saying a poster used that means they wagered a lot of future assets.  

Edited by ForJimmy

3 minutes ago, mav1234 said:

The origin of the term aside (you are right there!), in context of whether the Watson trade indicates we would 'bet it all', we were clearly willing to give up a huge deal in terms of future assets. So, how does this indicate we wouldn't make a huge risky deal to move up? Or are you just arguing that in order for a team to bet the farm is must be a massive, crippling contract that is fully guaranteed AND giving away huge future assets?? (Which would mean that term doesn't really apply in your mind to draft pick trades anyhow?)

Well, it's like I always say: the Devil is in the details. Watson's contract was  unprecedented. What made it so was the amount of guaranteed money. The repercussions could last at least four more years, but probably more.

I'm not saying that we won't trade up. That's going to depend upon how much they believe in an unproven rookie. But even if we do trade up, we're probably not going to set any precedents in draft compensation for said player. 

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1