• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

An observation about the remaining playoff teams and head coaching backgrounds.

Ivan The Awesome

The other interesting thing about this is that we also have 5 out of 8 teams with 1st round talent. The other 3 are 2nd, 4th(iirc Dak), and Mr. Irrelevant.

There's an argument to be made that Purdy is an anomaly and that it's mostly the coaching adapting to his style of play and giving him the opportunities to succeed in game. But that's pretty much all these QB's, it's coaching and the system that adapts to them. In other words they fit that system. They don't try to fit a square peg into a circle hole. 

The importance of finding the QB is high but the relevance here, that QB can be found anywhere, it's just that as of late, they are mostly found in the first round. Top 10 or higher. This means that if Johnson is our guy, expect this franchise to go for their QB. I wouldn't be mad at them either. You have 2 guys that are potentially Franchise guys in Young and Stroud. ONE of them IS that guy. Young in my honest opinion.  This team has put off the franchise QB acquisition for far too long and don't you dare say that Teddy, Sam, Baker, and Corral were an actual attempt to address this position. It was not, it was just trying to see fi they could strike gold with not going all in. 

Fitterer said something about a Sexy draft, and I don't see anything sexier than having a Franchise QB to lead this young team. 

• Pie 3
  • Beer 1

11 minutes ago, Ivan The Awesome said:

The other interesting thing about this is that we also have 5 out of 8 teams with 1st round talent. The other 3 are 2nd, 4th(iirc Dak), and Mr. Irrelevant.

There's an argument to be made that Purdy is an anomaly and that it's mostly the coaching adapting to his style of play and giving him the opportunities to succeed in game. But that's pretty much all these QB's, it's coaching and the system that adapts to them. In other words they fit that system. They don't try to fit a square peg into a circle hole. 

The importance of finding the QB is high but the relevance here, that QB can be found anywhere, it's just that as of late, they are mostly found in the first round. Top 10 or higher. This means that if Johnson is our guy, expect this franchise to go for their QB. I wouldn't be mad at them either. You have 2 guys that are potentially Franchise guys in Young and Stroud. ONE of them IS that guy. Young in my honest opinion.  This team has put off the franchise QB acquisition for far too long and don't you dare say that Teddy, Sam, Baker, and Corral were an actual attempt to address this position. It was not, it was just trying to see fi they could strike gold with not going all in. 

Fitterer said something about a Sexy draft, and I don't see anything sexier than having a Franchise QB to lead this young team. 

That all sounds good. Just which one of these qb's coming out is that franchise qb? 

9 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

This hiring cycle isn't seeing a lot of love for defensive coaches.

There are a few, but most of the interviews seem to be going to offensive guys.

You know it's stupid.

Any coach worth a damn wants as balanced a team as possible. There's nothing that says a good DC won't hire a good OC and let him do his job.

1 hour ago, Newtcase said:

Lot of first round talent eating popcorn as well.  

Yet 5 out of 8 are still in it.. The point you're trying to make doesn't really dismiss the point I'm making. If anything you're making my point as well. Having first round talent QB's help you get to the post season and have a chance to compete in said post season. 

Edited by Ivan The Awesome
  • Pie 1

4 minutes ago, Catsfan69 said:

You know it's stupid.

Any coach worth a damn wants as balanced a team as possible. There's nothing that says a good DC won't hire a good OC and let him do his job.

The problem is holding on to the good OC.  If he looks great in one year then he will more than likely get some HC looks.  See Eagles, Lions, Giants, and Bills OCs.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

8 minutes ago, Sean Payton's Vicodin said:

Every playoff team that won scored over 30 points too; death blow to the "muh ground and pound panthers footbaww!!!" types.

Yep, when the rules are catering to the passing game like they are now teams should definitely take advantage.  

• Pie 1

11 minutes ago, Sean Payton's Vicodin said:

Every playoff team that won scored over 30 points too; death blow to the "muh ground and pound panthers footbaww!!!" types.

Not to throw any cold water on this, but what was the score of the Cincy-Baltimore game?  And the Cincy defense scored 7 of those.

There is no universal rule on this stuff.  Well, other than if the Cowboys kicker doesn't figure out the ball has to go through the uprights, they are going to be in some trouble.

1 hour ago, Jon Snow said:

That all sounds good. Just which one of these qb's coming out is that franchise qb? 

That's the thing bro, we don't know and they as sure as hell don't know either. But that doesn't mean they aren't there. I'm sure when all these guys were picked they also had that potential label on them and they turned out to be just that, a franchise guy. The thing is the teams took a chance in the top 10 and got their guy. Yeah there's plenty that have not made it but there's a track record of late of QB's that are franchise guys in the top end of the 1st round. IN this draft, I'd have to say Young or Stroud have the highest potential to be the guys. Young being the higher of the two. Either way, you have to try, you can't sit back again and again, each year and expect to find treasure in other people's trash bins. 

But defensive coaches make you feel good about not being winners. It's like moral victories and playoff appearances are not valued as much as playoff wins. (Hint Sarcasm)

Until a lot changes in the NFL don't expect this 'fad' to go away. Good offensive coaches are like QBs, in high demand and not enough. If you hire a deffensive coach you are just training other team's new HC with your OC or you have a dud. McD is a great coach but he is going to have his hands full keeping his offensive staff stocked. It will be interesting to see how long and how well he can keep it up.

Edited by Waldo

1 hour ago, Ivan The Awesome said:

That's the thing bro, we don't know and they as sure as hell don't know either. But that doesn't mean they aren't there. I'm sure when all these guys were picked they also had that potential label on them and they turned out to be just that, a franchise guy. The thing is the teams took a chance in the top 10 and got their guy. Yeah there's plenty that have not made it but there's a track record of late of QB's that are franchise guys in the top end of the 1st round. IN this draft, I'd have to say Young or Stroud have the highest potential to be the guys. Young being the higher of the two. Either way, you have to try, you can't sit back again and again, each year and expect to find treasure in other people's trash bins. 

Im sure one will be chosen by us. Just not one of those 2. Media driven narratives are everywhere and I do not listen to any of those sales pitches.  I do not buy the hype.  So again, which one of these guys is a guaranteed franchise qb? If it's just get one of those 2 and we are set? Don't bother to respond.