• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Florida QB commit Jaden Rashada files for release from his commitment after $13 Million NIL deal falls through

jayboogieman

10 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

The NCAA is gonna have to figure out some type of framework for this stuff. I'm all for the players getting compensated but it can't be a wild west situation.

Something else to consider, and it speaks how awful the NCAA leadership is, they literally went from way tooooo many rules to no rules overnight. Need to meet somewhere in the middle. Kids deserve to market themselves and get paid but not at the expense of other schools or the integrity of the college game by basically accepting bogus, laundered bribe money which is basically what all these NIL deals appear to be. 

14 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

The NCAA is gonna have to figure out some type of framework for this stuff. I'm all for the players getting compensated but it can't be a wild west situation.

That ship has sailed. All the big conferences have already intimated that they can do without the NCAA at all. 

Just now, Ornias said:

That ship has sailed. All the big conferences have already intimated that they can do without the NCAA at all. 

The NCAA is a  greedy, exploitive, corrupt white collar cartel masquerading as an entity who cares about student athletes but they at least provided some sort or structure. If the NCAA is disbanded, there still has to be rules and regulations for college sports. 

2 minutes ago, 4Corners said:

The NCAA is a  greedy, exploitive, corrupt white collar cartel masquerading as an entity who cares about student athletes but they at least provided some sort or structure. If the NCAA is disbanded, there still has to be rules and regulations for college sports. 

Agreed on all counts. The whole system needs an enema. 

1 minute ago, Ornias said:

Agreed on all counts. The whole system needs an enema. 

I don’t know what the answer is but something has to be done. Like I said earlier they went from way too many rules to no rules overnight. Their should not be “free agency” in college sports. 

56 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

NIL was supposed to be so kids could make money if they were depicted in video games, or for doing car lot commercials, merch sales, autographs, etc. It has very quickly and predictably turned into schools just buying recruits.

I don't think there is any saving it. We've entered hell.

Look, for decades boosters and the big wigs cheated to win. So rules were made. Then when the sport took off, and "the man" started to make bank ... fans started to feel sorry for the "kids". So NIL was created. Now it's just as bad as it was before those old rules. And it's in more ways than just the boosters and the big wigs channeling money into a NIL. We also have (insert that hot gymnast) making like 11 million dollars JUST because she's sexy. How does that make her teammates feel? How does that make ... um ... not hot female athletes feel? Holy crap, if a portion of female sports and the NIL turns into OnlyFans then lol. The NIL is a mess and it will only get more obscene.

There should have just be a salary/rate type payment players get based on the income their sport brings in. I think that was the original idea? Back then I said that would open a can of worms; where a golfer, for example, would complain that a football player gets more money. But I'd much rather them have that headache than the outrageous mess they're in now. We don't even know the half of it since it's so new. We're about to see dozens and dozens of multi millionaire children paid to play college sports. It's insane, and we started it, worrying about how the NCAA and other organizations were making money off of them. Welp ... here we are and it's even worse.

Im also a longtime Florida Gators Fan this is a big time AD Scott Stricklin and Administration problem the issues are well higher then Billy Napier! Florida Football will not return to what it was until the AD is fired and the UAA is flushed out with new people who are aligned from top to bottom!

7 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

I don't know how they're gonna square this with Title IX. You're gonna have the starting QB of Alabama making $10M while the "star" women's softball pitcher is eating ramen. I don't know how that flies.

That was my original issue with paying college kids. And that was before NIL. Now that we let them go into business for themselves, it's almost as if there's nothing that can be done. But hey, like the gymnast girl, I guess softball pitcher can go that route lol.

Ice T No GIF by The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon

Here's an example of some of the NIL money being thrown around. This is for Texas and some of the women are being paid, softball, diving, swimming, and volleyball specifically.

Records obtained by the Austin American-Statesman show that 154 Longhorns sealed 418 NIL deals for a total of $2,039,180 from August 1, 2021 to April 30, 2022.

Here's how each sport stacked up:

• 94 football athletes racked up nearly $900k in NIL deals, including one contract worth $60k and three deals worth $50k apiece. While UT is not allowed to disclose names associated with compensation, UT star running back Bijan Robinson made waves with six major NIL deals, including a recent contract with Lamborghini Austin.
  • Softball earned its fair share as well with the second-highest NIL value of $295,790 spread among 64 deals.
  • Men's and women's swimming and diving programs each earned around $250k each.
  • Men's basketball athletes inked 71 deals for a grand total of $158,585.
  • And volleyball was the final sport to crack $100k with 26 contracts and over $105k in cash.

Source