• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

2023 QB scouting report

CarolinaRideorDie

6 hours ago, rebelrouser said:

Bad Cam my ass.  Cam was 66%, 2854 yds, 10.2 yd/att, 30 td, 7 int, 182 qbr

Anthony Richardson was 53.8%, 2549 yds, 7.8 yd/att, 17 td, 9 int, 131 qbr

Josh Allen lines up much similar than Cam. Cam was an Undefeated Heisman Winner National Champion.

Look, if AR can be taught better footwork, better aim, better pocket presence, better reads, better placement, better poise ... draft him. If not ... don't. And I'd lean toward him not gaining all of that.

A QB needs to be a QB first and foremost. I don't care if he has the best arm, is fast, can truck someone, can make people miss, and is all about power. A freak athlete is not always going to make an elite QB. Jesus, if it did, or if you could easily teach it, every team would go ask their TEs to become the QB or they'd head over to the school gym and see which forwards on the basketball team wanted to put on the pads.

So unless someone can convice me that this kid is going to be as talented as Mahomes is ... please don't gamble on this freakish physical superman.

Edited by Brooklyn 3.0

If any of the top 3 QB's fall to us, you take them unless the new coach REALLY doesn't think they will be a starter in the NFL.  If not, I'd say take hopefully the top WR in the draft whoever it ends up being (could happen, lot of mocks don't have a WR going before us) and then take Hooker in the 3rd or 4th.  

If Hooker can be healthy by camp, let him and Corrall battle it out for the starting spot while having a vet on the squad to be the 3rd string and mentor to them.

Either one of them looks good enough to try and move forward with as our QB or we then bet the farm in a much better QB class and pay whatever it takes to move up and draft one.

I'm not saying tank next year, but I think we have a good enough base group of players that drafting smart this year to fill holes like WR, DE, LB, DB, and then trading away all our future draft picks for a QB next year would set us up for a possible strong run of contending seasons while on that rookie QB deal.

The core base of Burns, Brown, Chinn, Horn, Ickey, Moton, BC, Moore, TMJ, is a great grouping and all of them still well shy of their 30's.  Don't screw this up by trying to fix all our leaky holes in one year, especially on a rookie QB deal, you want the team put in place before you get that QB if possible and I think we can do that by next season and then overpay to move up.

Edited by tukafan21

19 hours ago, ForJimmy said:

Take a “bad Cam” and give him a solid OL and offensive minded HC that can actually coach and develop him then you could get a Josh Allen. We took a good Cam and gave him a good TE with nothing else and a solid LT for only 1 year where he carried us to the Super Bowl.

Cam was not a great QB - never - not even in 2015.  I get so tired of seeing Carolina fans exaggerate his performance and give him excuses.  In absolutely NO WAY did Cam carry this team to the Superbowl in 2015.  LUKE KUECHLY carried this team with our defense.  

We had the easiest schedule in the league - our defense was 1st in TO's and our offense was 2nd in the league in starting field position.  The ONLY stat that was exceptional for Cam that year as a QB was total TD's....because he had the shortest fields against the worst teams in the league!  His passing stats were still ALL 8th or worse in the league....literally the defense carried us and the ONLY reason he won MVP is because we were 15-1.  He easily has the worst stats of an MVP in the last 20 years.  

I don't ever want Cam part 2....ever....in no season of his career would I have chosen him as our QB over the others if we could choose.  Andrew Luck staying in college screwed us for a decade.

• Poo 3

8 minutes ago, Stingray3030 said:

Cam was not a great QB - never - not even in 2015.  I get so tired of seeing Carolina fans exaggerate his performance and give him excuses.  In absolutely NO WAY did Cam carry this team to the Superbowl in 2015.  LUKE KUECHLY carried this team with our defense.  

We had the easiest schedule in the league - our defense was 1st in TO's and our offense was 2nd in the league in starting field position.  The ONLY stat that was exceptional for Cam that year as a QB was total TD's....because he had the shortest fields against the worst teams in the league!  His passing stats were still ALL 8th or worse in the league....literally the defense carried us and the ONLY reason he won MVP is because we were 15-1.  He easily has the worst stats of an MVP in the last 20 years.  

I don't ever want Cam part 2....ever....in no season of his career would I have chosen him as our QB over the others if we could choose.  Andrew Luck staying in college screwed us for a decade.

Yeah the MVP didn't carry his team.  Get out of here with this nonsense....

Total TDs is kind of an important stat. 45 TDs and over 4400 total yards is a pretty solid year.  Burrow has 4600 total yards with 40 total TDs this year with 2 extra INTS and a whole extra game in the regular season.  I guess he isn't having great QB play either.  Now give Cam Cinninnati's weapons and Zac Taylor instead of Philly Brown/Cotchery and Rivera, which is what people say Cam carried that team.

If Luke carried that team I wonder why everything went to poo when Cam got hurt the following years?  That team lived and died by Cam Newton.  

22 minutes ago, Stingray3030 said:

Cam was a hell of a lot more than his stats though. His swagger and confidence was contagious. When was the last time we had a QB step on the field you and knew you had a shot to beat anybody? 

• Pie 2

12 minutes ago, Stingray3030 said:

Feel free to explain which one was worse...

You said he had easily the worst stats of any MVP in the last 20 years.  That's just false.   It doesn't need much explanation. 

2015 Cam Newton - 45 total TDs. 4400+ total yards.  That's more production than several of them. 

Just start 20 years ago.   Which was your timeline and work your way up. 

2003 McNair - 28 total TDs. 3300+ total yards. 

Cam Newton accounted for more TDs than 7 previous QB winners and then there were RBs. 

So yeah, he easily doesn't have the worst.  Because he had better stats than a handful of them. 

4 hours ago, Ornias said:

Cam was a hell of a lot more than his stats though. His swagger and confidence was contagious. When was the last time we had a QB step on the field you and knew you had a shot to beat anybody? 

I swear people forget Cam was voted #1 by his peers as the best player in football at one point.

In his prime Cam was a problem. Dude was trucking LB's and dabbin on em after he scored a TD. They couldn't stop him so they tried to fight him.lol

Damn I miss prime Cam.lol

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

12 minutes ago, CamWhoaaCam said:

I swear people forget Cam was voted #1 by his peers as the best player in football at one point.

In his prime Cam was a problem. Dude was trucking LB's and dabbin on em after he scored a TD. They couldn't stop him so they tried to fight him.lol

I do feel that Cam's MVP year is different compared to other MVP players outside of stats and simply because of his influence. Cam had everyone doing the "Dab!" People who didn't even watch football did the dab. 

4 hours ago, CamWhoaaCam said:

And he did it with a bunch of JAG WRs, no LT, and shitty OCs. Can you imagine what an Andy Reid could have done with prime Cam??