• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

QB needy teams drafting before us

GOAT

10 hours ago, rayzor said:

My guess...

Brady-raiders

Mac Jones- pats with O'Brien as his OC

Daniel Jones- giants 

Rodgers-titans

Jackson-ravens (tagged)

Tannehill- falcons 

Lance- vikings (as a backup up to start '23 and then replacing cousins)

Garrapolo- jets

Bridgewater - saints (again)

Carr- bucs

Baker- dolphins

Geno- seahawks

Darnold- panthers (backup/bridge QB)

Minshew- commanders

Mine

Brady- Vegas

Lamar- Atlanta 

Lance- New Orleans (post camp)

Rodgers- Green Bay

Jimmy G- Jets

Carr- Tampa

• Pie 2

11 hours ago, GOAT said:

There should be some QB's available via trade and free agency this year. Brady, Rodgers, Jones, Jackson, Carr, Tannehill, Garrapolo, Lance...

Who do you think lands where? Especially focusing on the teams drafting before us. 

2. HOU - prob rookie

4. Colts - Carr? Jones?

5. Raiders - Brady? Rodgers? 

8. Falcons - Lamar? Rookie? Roll with Ridder?

Good thread, GOAT.  This needed to be said.  I would also check out teams drafting after us in position to trade up--Washington, New Orleans, for example.  If I get some time, I will estimate what it would cost each team to leapfrog us.  I would say that the first and third picks are going to be defensive studs--

I have seen mocks where Indy moves to #1 and then Carolina moves to #4, allowing Chicago the ninth pick with a ton of other selections.  If I am the Bears, I do that.

11 hours ago, 45catfan said:

Houston-rookie

Colts-rookie

Raiders- FA veteran.  Roster is too stacked to wait on a rookie to develop.

Falcons-?????????? Who the heck knows.  Whispers were they weren't overly impressed with Ridder.  Could be a rookie, could be a veteran.  Scary enough, we are in the same boat.

I think Atlanta goes QB--they caught some heat for drafting a TE in a "QB rich" draft--rumor has it they would have taken Lance if the rumor that SF traded up for Jones were true.  It worked out, except maybe they wish they would have drafted Fields?  I dunno. 

However, the Falcon fans were not happy at the time.  In hindsight, getting Lance would have been much worse--if what we know about him remains the story.

If we don't make a move and trade up:

HOU: Bryce Young

IND: C.J. Stroud

LVR: Tom Brady

ATL: Desmond Ridder

CAR: Will Levis

Much will depend on who gets traded and to where and on whether Brady retires or not. I think Brady to the Raiders makes too much sense to not happen if he doesn't retire. If he does then I think Vegas is a prime landing spot for Aaron Rodgers. Carr to the Jets makes a ton of sense as well.

IMO, the best case scenario for the Panthers is for the Colts to make a move for Rodgers or Carr or even Lance. They're the biggest obstacle for us in terms of landing Young or Stroud in the draft. I think the Raiders end up with a veteran QB rather than drafting one.

Just now, Jay Roosevelt said:

If we don't make a move and trade up:

HOU: Bryce Young

IND: C.J. Stroud

LVR: Tom Brady

ATL: Desmond Ridder

CAR: Will Levis

Much will depend on who gets traded and to where and on whether Brady retires or not. I think Brady to the Raiders makes too much sense to not happen if he doesn't retire. If he does then I think Vegas is a prime landing spot for Aaron Rodgers. Carr to the Jets makes a ton of sense as well.

IMO, the best case scenario for the Panthers is for the Colts to make a move for Rodgers or Carr or even Lance. They're the biggest obstacle for us in terms of landing Young or Stroud in the draft. I think the Raiders end up with a veteran QB rather than drafting one.

Indy’s current front office really loves Levis.  I could even see them taking him at 1 if they trade up.

• Pie 1

9 minutes ago, ncfan said:

Mine

Brady- Vegas (The OL is a big concern there, but if he signs they could address the OL in free agency and the draft)

Lamar- Atlanta  (I think he stays in Baltimore, but I definitely see how that might not happen.  I would not give him $235m if it were me--his play is too injury-prone and his accuracy is not the greatest.  I dunno)

Lance- New Orleans (post camp--very interesting--)

Rodgers- Green Bay  (He is in the midst of getting his offseason ego stroking--He will be back in Green Bay with his narcissistic smirking.   His own family does not like him. Why should I?)

Jimmy G- Jets  (I see Saleh grabbing Jimmy G or maybe even Lance.  He knows both pretty well)

Carr- Tampa  (I see him in Tampa or New Orleans)

I commented on your picks above--you put some thought into this.

Despite my comments, here are my guesses:

Brady-retires or goes to Atlanta or Baltimore (if Jackson leaves). Atlanta is a great fit because they have a good OL.  They have a QB on a rookie deal that could learn for a season under Brady.  If they added a weapon or two in the passing game, I see Atlanta being attractive to Brady.  If Jackson leaves Baltimore, Brady becomes a Raven.

Jackson-I just see this working out in Baltimore.  Jackson and the Ravens have both stated that he will return, but Ian Rappaport says those watching Jackson are not so sure.  Stay tuned.

Lance-I think the 9ers have to like what they have in Purdy (This makes me mad because I mocked him all year in the fifth/sixth round) and they will probably not have Jimmy G back.  I think I would trade Lance, but his stock is down.  Maybe Saleh likes him from his time in SF.  I say Lance either stays or is traded to the Jets.

Rodgers-He stays in Green Bay.  He is just getting his offseason ego boost, wanting people to beg him to stay, etc.

Jimmy G-Maybe the Jets take him for the same reason I provided about Lance, but the market is much better for Jimmy G right now.  I see New Orleans and Atlanta in play here.  I am going to guess that he might go Atlanta if Brady retires or goes to Baltimore.

Carr-We should know this one right around the Super Bowl.  Carr can turn down a trade, which is an interesting twist to the plot. New Orleans is my first impulse, but all they have in the draft this year is a second and third rounder--Do they want Carr, his veteran salary, and no picks until day three of the draft?  That leaves the Commanders, my second guess, but the likely choice if you consider assets.  They would keep their first and be able to trade the second and third--big difference--and they may be more stable than New Orleans right now.  In my opinion, the New Orleans window is closing.  So, final answer:  Washington

• Pie 1

3 minutes ago, MHS831 said:

I commented on your picks above--you put some thought into this.

Despite my comments, here are my guesses:

Brady-retires or goes to Atlanta or Baltimore (if Jackson leaves). Atlanta is a great fit because they have a good OL.  They have a QB on a rookie deal that could learn for a season under Brady.  If they added a weapon or two in the passing game, I see Atlanta being attractive to Brady.  If Jackson leaves Baltimore, Brady becomes a Raven.

Jackson-I just see this working out in Baltimore.  Jackson and the Ravens have both stated that he will return, but Ian Rappaport says those watching Jackson are not so sure.  Stay tuned.

Lance-I think the 9ers have to like what they have in Purdy (This makes me mad because I mocked him all year in the fifth/sixth round) and they will probably not have Jimmy G back.  I think I would trade Lance, but his stock is down.  Maybe Saleh likes him from his time in SF.  I say Lance either stays or is traded to the Jets.

Rodgers-He stays in Green Bay.  He is just getting his offseason ego boost, wanting people to beg him to stay, etc.

Jimmy G-Maybe the Jets take him for the same reason I provided about Lance, but the market is much better for Jimmy G right now.  I see New Orleans and Atlanta in play here.  I am going to guess that he might go Atlanta if Brady retires or goes to Baltimore.

Carr-We should know this one right around the Super Bowl.  Carr can turn down a trade, which is an interesting twist to the plot. New Orleans is my first impulse, but all they have in the draft this year is a second and third rounder--Do they want Carr, his veteran salary, and no picks until day three of the draft?  That leaves the Commanders, my second guess, but the likely choice if you consider assets.  They would keep their first and be able to trade the second and third--big difference--and they may be more stable than New Orleans right now.  In my opinion, the New Orleans window is closing.  So, final answer:  Washington

Brady I just feel there is too much smoke with him and Vegas.  

Lamar, there was been some smoke there as of late.  They’ve been quietly setting themselves up for a move like this.  Opening a Ton of cap space.  Additionally let’s not forget them getting aggressive late in the Watson race.

Jimmy G has the connection with Saleh, and right now they just need someone to stable the ship.

Carr- you heard his brother say he wants to go in a good situation.  Bucs are still in a Won now window with plenty of Weapons, and a above avg to good OL. 

Lance- the reason why I put him with New Orleans.  They don’t have the capital or big $$ to go after a Lamar etc.  and I don’t see it being attractive to Carr.  Lance going into camp for a “battle”, gives the Saints the opportunity to trade a 2024 pick for a QB on a rookie contract.  And is definitely a panicky type move a HC who is on the hot seat would make.

• Pie 1

Question:  If Derrick Carr has the option of turning down a trade, why wouldn't he?  Is it his $32m salary?  If I think I can get that as a free agent from a team, then I take the negotiations away from the Raiders and pick my destination.  If he'd rather be in Washington than New Orleans, he can then approach Washington as a free agent. I would want my new team to have all of their draft picks.

Example:  The Commanders offer to trade for Carr and the Raiders accept.  Carr keeps his salary.  Washington loses 2, day-2 draft picks.  The Raiders now have the capital to move up in the draft and take a QB (They have 9 picks as it is right now).  However, if Carr rejects all offers, then approaches Washington as a free agent, negotiating that by rejecting their trade, he saved them a second and an third round draft pick.  They would then gladly give him the salary they were willing to pay during the trade, saving the picks to improve his new team.

How is my logic flawed here?

2 hours ago, rayzor said:

i don't see chicago, zona, seattle, detroit, vegas, or atlanta going QB

We'll have to wait and see because Vegas doesn't have a qb, but Devonte Adams won't want to be part of a long term rookie qb project. Atlanta is in the same boat as we are but people think they won't take a qb and that we must? Don't understand the logic there. 

I hope we take a shot at Lamar Jackson, Derek Carr, etc. If none of those guys work out giving Corral a shot to develop while taking BPA early and depth needs later could either set us up to take advantage of a weak division next year. If not at least we know what we have in Corral and can draft accordingly next year. Which in turn would equate to a shot at Caleb Williams and I would not mind trading the farm for him at all.

1 hour ago, rebelrouser said:

We'll have to wait and see because Vegas doesn't have a qb, but Devonte Adams won't want to be part of a long term rookie qb project. Atlanta is in the same boat as we are but people think they won't take a qb and that we must? Don't understand the logic there. 

I think the raiders get Brady or some other vet. probably brady, though.

and i think that atlanta is more likely to go after a vet and give ridder some time to learn. they've got too many issues on defense they need to address to take a QB that early. i just don't see it being the hot priority from them that it is for us.

my thinking is connected to another post in this thread where i think that seattle and detroit stick with the guys that started for them this year and vegs and atlanta and a few other teams go after vets. there's going to be a lot of holes and a lot of FA QBs getting shuffled around to fill those holes.