• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Coaching Interview Thread IV: A New Hope

Ricky Spanish

2 minutes ago, Proudiddy said:

Great thread, Ricky.

Sadly, although I like Reich as a person and really liked him as a player (as a young football junkie, I used to trade for Reich on NFL95 on Sega because he was the guy that led the NFL's largest comeback win and one of our first franchise QBs), I just find the hire to be extremely uninspiring.  He may be an offensive-minded coach, but he isn't one of the young guns everyone wanted, and he has a pretty strong, established history of the usual average results we've come to know and expect from our franchise.  He had what, 4 years as HC in Indy?  And he produced a winning percentage right in line with every coach in franchise history with 3 years or more of tenure - barely over .500.

On one hand, optimistically, I feel like 2 of his years as HC should be omitted because he was attempting to win with Matt fuging Ryan and Carson fuging Wentz.  With Luck and Rivers as his starters, he went a combined 21-11 those years.  But with anyone non-elite, he was extremely average, and that's ehat bothers me.  We want a transcendent coach whose schemes make even average players look good, and good players look great.  But instead, my feeling on Reich, is much like our past coaches, his success is far more dependent on the level of talent of his players than his players' production being enhanced by his schemes.

It just feels like an offensive version of more of the same.

Reich went 50-43-1 overall, with only one losing season out of the four complete seasons... He was fired while 3-5-1, but it seems Irsay is insane. Given the tumult there after Lucks retirement, that is pretty good record tho. It may seem a lot like Rivera's record but what a lot of people point out is Rivera basically rode Cam to that. Hard to argue that for Reich given the many QBs he's had.

• Pie 5
  • Beer 1

3 minutes ago, Waldo said:

Because it is exactly that.

People are already chugging the kool-aid as a coping mechanism but anyone that expects to win with a hire like that is on some fun meds.

No meds, 

Reich was the best option for what they wanted considering what happened with Rhule, this coach wasn't going to be a first timer unless they agreed to the Panthers stipulations. 

He can definitely win here consistently 

Edited by carpanfan96
  • Pie 1

3 minutes ago, carpanfan96 said:

Not talking about that tweet. It was talked about days ago by Panther beat reporters, shoot Quick did a dang interview on TV about it. 😂😂😂

you realize these are opinions - right?

What is hilarious is that you said you are not talking about "that tweet" but then post the tweet.

1 minute ago, carpanfan96 said:

No meds, 

Reich was the best option for what they wanted considering what happened with Rhule, this coach wasn't going to be a first timer unless they agreed to the Panthers stipulations 

What they wanted and how they did it is the problem. That doesn't lift up Reich but makes him part of the problem also.

• Pie 1

2 minutes ago, mav1234 said:

Reich went 50-43-1 overall, with only one losing season out of the four complete seasons... He was fired while 3-5-1, but it seems Irsay is insane. Given the tumult there after Lucks retirement, that is pretty good record tho. It may seem a lot like Rivera's record but what a lot of people point out is Rivera basically rode Cam to that. Hard to argue that for Reich given the many QBs he's had.

Some fans on here just want that Byron Leftwich instead of the Doug Pederson.

• Pie 2

1 minute ago, frankw said:

We've taken our time more sure but we went from saying it was going to be a small pool of candidates to bringing in just about anyone who would interview and now we are back to Wilks or a retread. And as far as I can tell no one has so much as given Wilks a call. Now people can speculate that has to do with his lawsuit and it's possible but I don't buy it. I can accept Reich as the head coach. Though he has cons like Wilks we can't overlook that. But again it is at least a new direction so I would wait and let things play out while hoping for the best.

I agree with everything you said - but I don't really see evidence of this being Reich coddling up to Tepper. That's all I meant in my previous post. I completely get not being excited by a retread coach.

He definitely has cons (as did my favorites in Johnson and Steichen), but he looks to be more promising than Wilks. I'm hoping somehow he gets Fangio in here, too. Sounds like he has good coordinator connections.

• Beer 1