• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Panthers Let the Great Be the Enemy of the Good.

TheMaulClaw

2 hours ago, ForJimmy said:

Steve Wilks is an average HC. You say “good” but I think some of us are still comparing him to Rhule who is awful. Wilks was a breath of fresh air and looked phenomenal compared to Rhule, but Rhule shouldn’t be in the NFL at all.

We had an easy schedule in one of the historically worst divisions and he did manage to go 6-6. Our roster is actually decent and several analysts picked us to win our division before the season started (probably giving too much faith in Baker). So WIlks basically had us playing to the level we should have been all year. The Bengals game and last Bucs game really tell the story. The Bengals simply ran it down our throats with no issue and Brady realized we were leaving our 3rd/4th CB on an island with Evans which resulted in THERE TDs on the exact same play. Oh and the playoffs were on the line…..

I’ll give him credit for the Lions and Seahawks, but those other 2 I mentioned were just embarrassing. That’s what you get with an average coach though…

I would add the Pittsburgh game also. The Steelers with below average QB straight up punched us in the mouth and owned us the whole game. Darnold played well but the offense overall was lifeless with no consistent counterpunch. The defense, Wilks’ area of expertise, wasn’t much better. The Panthers was among teams with the most 3 and outs across the league. I think these games and to some extent the final game (a win - paltry offense numbers) made it clear for Tepper that a change of direction was needed.

Edited by Prowler2k18
  • Pie 1

Do I think Steve Wilks can be a good, even great, "CEO" of a football team? Yes. Honestly, if the Panthers had at any point over the past 5 years had at least an intriguing potential long-term answer at QB, I think Steve Wilks would have gotten the full time job. 

But those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it. We paired a generational offensive talent in Cam Newton with a "hard-nosed" defensive-minded head coach and watched that talent consistently capped before it finally withered away. I fear the same is happening in Buffalo honestly - McDermott, like Rivera before him (and like Wilks would be, just my opinion) is relying on the talent of his QB to prop up his offense rather than employing someone who can maximize that talent. 

So while Reich may not be a sexy pick, a home run hire, I think at this critical juncture in the Panthers franchise history, it was time to bring on an offensive mind (and a former QB) to be the "head of the snake" to hopefully nurture and develop that answer at QB. Your offensive mind/playcaller can't be poached if he just so happens to be your HC too. 

And also, let's be honest - if Wilks went 6-6 but while competing in the 2021 NFC South rather than the 2022 NFC South (i.e. no shot at a division title or playoffs), I highly doubt anyone would be so up in arms about not making him the permanent head coach. Don't let how putrid the NFC South was for one year cloud your judgement for the next 5 years - the division will not be that bad again, even next year.

Edited by UNCrules2187
  • Pie 1

2 minutes ago, heel31ok said:

Interim is only for short time. Look it up.

Okay, no duh, I am talking about AFTER the tag is removed. It isn’t abnormal for an interim HC to do well. It is abnormal for an interim HC made full time HC to do well. 
Wilks has a better chance to be the rule not the exception and considering how defensive HC fair in the modern NFL I would take the rule 9 times outta 10. 
Safe bet. 

I think this is the appropriate take (for a Wilks supporter) if we went with a random young OC with limited experience (Dorsey/Kafka etc).

But we went with an experienced offensive coach, who has proven to be a winning coach, and done so with many QB’s. 

This isn’t a gamble. He has the resume.

33 minutes ago, TLGPanthersFan said:

Okay, no duh, I am talking about AFTER the tag is removed. It isn’t abnormal for an interim HC to do well. It is abnormal for an interim HC made full time HC to do well. 
Wilks has a better chance to be the rule not the exception and considering how defensive HC fair in the modern NFL I would take the rule 9 times outta 10. 
Safe bet. 

It is abnormal.