• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Sell me Justin Fields vs CJ Stroud

Cam's New Arm

1 hour ago, ncfan said:

Fields Bigger Arm, a lot more athletic 

Stroud’s better between the ears.  Better processor.  Still good enough arm.

1 hour ago, LinvilleGorge said:

Fields is the much better athlete. Stroud is the much more polished passer.

There wouldn't be a comparison between the two if they didn't go to the same school. They're not very similar as players.

pretty much all of this. stats don't tell the whole story. very different stylistically. fields relies more on athleticism and will likely have a ceiling of being a medicore passer. he'll be good at what he does, but what he does uses a narrower skillset than stroud. fields is a naturally gifted runner/athlete who can throw when needed. he's a big play guy, for sure, but i don't see him ever being one of the top most talented passers in the league. 

stroud is a good pocket passer, very natural in that role and he's much better at processing the field. he's kind of the opposite of fields, imo. he's a naturally gifted pocket QB who can run when needed. i do think that stroud's game and style will keep him in the game longer than fields will. fields will take a beating and likely miss a good bit of time because of things happening when he runs. you take his run game away or it diminishes, and he's going to be pretty limited.

stroud, being the pocket guy that he is, won't be taking quite the beating that fields will and if you take away his run game, he's still going to be very lethal. i think he's just a much more complete QB.

• Pie 2

1 hour ago, OldhamA said:

Not really. It's the most important position on the field. If you're trading up for a guy like that he'd better be a difference maker. 

He was up by like 3 scores against Georgia and couldn't seal the deal - that's not a good game to reference. 

whose job is it to keep the other team from scoring?

i'm no expert, but i think it's the defense that does that. 

you know i'm not even sure that it's the QBs job to kick a clutch game winning field goal. 

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

12 minutes ago, Khyber53 said:

Let's see how it plays out. I'm betting that the experienced QB/HC guy and the GM of the team decide differently than the trade up for a risky college QB method of drafting.

Even after said GM yesterday said outright that the ideal QB route is draft and develop?

10 minutes ago, rayzor said:

pretty much all of this. stats don't tell the whole story. very different stylistically. fields relies more on athleticism and will likely have a ceiling of being a medicore passer. he'll be good at what he does, but what he does uses a narrower skillset than stroud. fields is a naturally gifted runner/athlete who can throw when needed. he's a big play guy, for sure, but i don't see him ever being one of the top most talented passers in the league. 

stroud is a good pocket passer, very natural in that role and he's much better at processing the field. he's kind of the opposite of fields, imo. he's a naturally gifted pocket QB who can run when needed. i do think that stroud's game and style will keep him in the game longer than fields will. fields will take a beating and likely miss a good bit of time because of things happening when he runs. you take his run game away or it diminishes, and he's going to be pretty limited.

stroud, being the pocket guy that he is, won't be taking quite the beating that fields will and if you take away his run game, he's still going to be very lethal. i think he's just a much more complete QB.

If the Bears think this they'd draft Stroud and trade Fields.

I want to see Fields with some decent talent around him before I put a ceiling on him.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

Fields has a big issue in the pocket he has still yet to fully correct.  When he needs to ditch his first read, there is a visible delay in his next look.  And it's long enough that you see that he's still deciding to run or throw to the next read, giving the DL an extra half second to get to him.  Big reason for his sack numbers beyond CHI's OL.  I think that's what other GMs saw to.  He seems smart though and has acclimated to the NFL playbook & overall in-game speed, but it's that processing time (not processing in itself) that is a big knock IMO.

Regarding OSU's offense:

Day has described his offense as an adjustable one.  Will never forget Fitzmagic on PMT (I think) earlier this year, and he described the OSU system and other college ones perfectly.  It's not gimmicky, it is simply tailored to the signal caller more than the signal caller is installed within it.  Because of that, QBs in college don't learn how to create and throw to the open receivers.  They're not throwing guys open and creating plays, they're not learning proper risk/reward as a passer.  You gotta push it, even at the risk of your stat sheet and TD:INT ratio.  Too many of these QBs care about their numbers and play it safe. 

Stroud seemed to be on the more safe side during the early season, but was pushed to do the latter and proved he could indeed create.  DId it in 2021 and 2022, it wasn't just the UGA game and his future star receivers.  He also has really sound mechanics, and was committed as a passer.  It's not that he can't run but he committed to becoming a great passer first.  I appreciate that a ton.  And he's got legs to use, and you know, they don't have a ton of mileage on them either.  

Stroud has so much to like IMO.  

Ok so I've been one of the more vocal people who wanted us to shoot our shot on Fields and but it's time to move on. Stroud is our best shot and you can get on board or hitch your wagon to Brissett or Carr or Corral. But pick one and leave Fields in the rearview.

this is from OSU's beat writer, Nathan Baird...

Question: How does C.J. Stroud compare to Justin Fields with his feet, arm talent, field vision and ability to change plays at the line?
NATHAN BAIRD: They are almost incomparable. Fields, while he did not run excessively at OSU – and not nearly as much as he needs to with the Bears – had dual-threat ability.

Ohio State simply wanted him to use that talent as a last resort, or complementary skill. He used his mobility to keep plays alive in the pocket and take shots downfield.

Stroud, on the other hand, almost never uses his legs to gain yardage. He has gotten more comfortable over time at moving out of the pocket and throwing on the run.

His greatest asset, though, is his brain and ability to process. That’s not to say he does not have genuine arm strength. But that works in conjunction with his pre-snap ability to read defenses and make adjustments.

While bringing pressure against a less mobile quarterback might make sense by conventional wisdom, if often plays into Stroud’s advantage, because he’ll take the trade-off of the hurried throw against the numbers advantage he now has downfield.

• Beer 1