• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Ellis Williams. How to turn the Panthers around in one year

raleigh-panther

20 hours ago, Catsfan69 said:

The author lost me at Purdy's size being the cause of his injury.

When a QB has his shoulder and elbow torqued to throw and gets hit while in or starting his motion things just tear.

It's just the way things happen.

Yeah, his size had nothing to do with that. Elbows and knees are weak spots on even the largest people, if not even more so. I hope the kid can come back from that, he was a real revelation at QB.

52 minutes ago, frankw said:

Are any of them basically the size of a young Steve Smith playing QB?

Favre 6'2

Rivers 6'5

Eli Manning 6'5

Brady 6'4

Now let's do Bryce.

I mean, height is just that.  Doesn't mean durability.  Mike Glennon being tall doesn't make him better suited to deal w/ punishment than someone shorter. Doesn't mean you are well built.  Eli Manning is built like a middle schooler.  So was Tom Brady.   

IMO, you want a QB with a high football IQ.  That will help him stay healthy.  Then it's largely flat out luck IMO

The author also notes the Panthers lack of offensive playmakers 

the lack of playmakers on this team, even with CMC, so very obvious  

the top four teams may have one bona fide 5 star but those teams also have multiple skill players just a shade below that 5 star 

as for qb, Reich, has stated what he is looking for…hope he finds it as unless a trade up is made, neither Levi’s or AR are particularly accurate.  

2 hours ago, CRA said:

Longest start streaks.  Favre.  Rivers.  Eli.  Brady just logged a relatively 20+ year career.   Those guys aren’t physical specimens.  

You ever stood next to Rivers or Eli?

Those guys are BIG.  Not saying specimens, but they aren't small by any means.  There is some luck with long start streaks...but also a whole lot of toughness and size don't hurt.

• Pie 1

1 hour ago, stbugs said:

I’m surprised that you guys think we are that close as if 6 players does it and we will hit on all 6. We have pick 9, 39, 61 and 93 and FAs. Fitterer and Rhule had 15 picks in 2 years after pick 8 and none of them have been a “hit”. A couple of below average starters and a couple role players. We hit on Reddick for 1 year and got average starters in Bozeman and Corbett.

Also, @MHS831 didn’t even mention NT and 3-4 DE. Look at the scheme thread and you’ll see we need a chunk of DL help and depth everywhere.

Since QB is still the biggest hole and rookie TEs take time to develop, I think we are very much at least a year away. Our crap division gives us a playoff shot but our schedule is a bit tougher. Our 3 wild card games are at Seattle, at Miami and Dallas instead of Denver, Lions and Giants. If Tua is healthy it’s definitely harder.

I'm a bit more optimistic about who we have in house and who we can pick up. I really feel that Rhule's coaching hindered some performances and stunted some development. We got to see some of the better play by the end of the year.

And yeah, TEs do take time to develop into their full roles, but to get a pass catching one who can work the seams would be an immense favor to whoever will be QB. We've got to move on from the blocking TE only mentality Rhule had. There are a couple of excellent opportunities in the draft, day one, perhaps early day two. There are also some good free agents out there that might be a pick up and bring the experience quota with them.

2 hours ago, CRA said:

I mean, height is just that.  Doesn't mean durability.  Mike Glennon being tall doesn't make him better suited to deal w/ punishment than someone shorter. Doesn't mean you are well built.  Eli Manning is built like a middle schooler.  So was Tom Brady.   

IMO, you want a QB with a high football IQ.  That will help him stay healthy.  Then it's largely flat out luck IMO

Well we already have a young QB on the lighter side on the roster his name is Matt Corral. We saw how that went. Sounds dicey to add another to the roster and with the cost of a top ten pick to boot.